Braun Series 9 9095CC & 9090CC Review – Vs- Braun Series 7
Before I go any further with this review, I want to categorize these two Braun series 9 shaver models because one of them is wet & dry yet the other is a fully dry shaver.
- Braun Series 9 9095CC– Available on Amazon *****(wet & dry)*****use your favorite shaving cream / soap with this model – ideal for people with sensitive skins
- Braun Series 9 9090cc – Available on Amazon *****(dry only shaver)***** it does not work with shaving cream – but you can use it while in the shower ”its water proof”
According to Braun, these are the most advanced electric shavers ever produced by Braun and I’m sure it will take a while for another company (Norelco / Panasonic) to craft something better & faster as Braun Series 9.
I have to confess that I have been a great fan of Braun Series 7 and in particular Braun 7 799CC-6WD CC4 Wet & Dry Shaver because of its ability to wet & dry shave. When I was creating a list of ‘’Best Electric Shavers ’’ I noted that Braun Series 7 799CC-6WD CC4 has replaced 7-790cc because of the wet shaving option, but it seems this time Braun has played its cards well by upgrading both wet & dry models .
Braun 9090cc is a fully dry shaver so those who would like to upgrade from Series 7-790cc, this is the right model to opt for. Dry shaving is basically for men with no sensitive skins. The good thing with Series 9090cc is that you can use it while in the shower and it has an automatic worldwide voltage system so it can be used from any part of the world. The only difference between 9090cc and 9095CC is ”Wet Shaving” other wise they both have the same features.
Below is a snap shoot of all Series 9 models. (Those marked w&d are wet and dry and the rest are just dry shavers)
ALL BRAUN SERIES 9 MODELS:
SERIES 9 VS SERIES 7 ‘UPGRADES & COMPARISON”
Braun 7 799CC-6WD CC4 electric shaver has been replaced by Braun Series 9095CC & 9040s. These two shaver models are wet & dry, but they have a (1) new design which is completely different from Series 7 799CC-6WD CC4. The (2) new shaving head of Series 9095CC & 9040S is slim & sleek; it can reach all hard-to-shave areas and give you a close shave without causing any skin irritation.
Another upgraded feature in Series 9 is (3) ”Power”. Series 7 can only make 10,000 oscillations per minute yet Series 9 makes 40,000 oscillations per minute. Look at the gap between Series 7 & 9, it is ”30,000 more oscillations” and this means Series 9 is (4) faster and more powerful than Series 7. So men with very dense / coarse beards, this is the best electric shaver for you.
(5) Fully flexible shaving system:– Both Series 7 and 9 have flexible shaving heads, however, much has been improved in this model. It can rotate to any angle / direction hence giving you the opportunity to try out different shaving angles. Majority of men get a close shave if they twist the head to a 90 degrees shaving angle. In that way the head & foil will have direct contact with the skin hence shave more beards / hair with just one single pass. However, when it comes to shaving sharp angles or below the chin, you have to change the shaving angle and this fully flexible model will adapt and respond as required. I have to admit, the degree of flexibility between Series 7 & 9 is not that big but there is a slight improvement in the new model.
BRAKING DOWN ALL PARTS OF BRAUN SERIES 9 ”9095CC & 9090CC”:
1 .Foil & Cutter cassette
2 .Cassette release buttons
3 .MultiHeadLock switch
4 .On/off switch
5 .Shaver display
6 .Long hair trimmer
7 .Shaver-to-station contacts
8 .Release button for long hair trimmer
9 .Model number of shaver
10 .Shaver power socket
11 .Special cord set
12 .Brush (used for cleaning foils and shaver head)
13 .Hard travel case
FIRST USE & CHARGING:
”Look at the illustrations above and learn how to use this model for the first time”.
After getting this brand new Braun Shaver, you will be excited and I’m sure majority of you will rush to the bathroom to get your first close shave. However, prior to your first use, remove the plastic protection on the shaver’s head if it has any and connect it to the charger or use its cleaning system to charge it fully. If you notice any fault when charging, please don’t try to be that wise geek, return the shaver back to Ebay / Braun and get a replacement. For safety purposes, this model can only operate when in cordless mode. You can clean it via the tap or use its cleaning system to effectively kill germs, lubricate and sharpen blades. Braun Series 9 has been designed to meet the highest standards, so you don’t have to worry about its build quality or performance.
Braun Shaver Series 9 9095CC & 9090CC (VIDEO REVIEW):
I will start by commenting on Series 9 9095cc’s design. I don’t know if the word perfect describes this shaver’s design and looks very well. But so far this is the most beautiful Braun electric shaver I have ever reviewed, though it somehow resembles Series 5 5090cc and at one point I asked myself why Braun never continued with the design of Series 5. At least my query has been solved; I can see resemblance in these two models. The handle is curvy and the bottom is smaller than the top which makes the shaver well balanced. The 3D head is well crafted, with less pressure; this shaver can give you the closest shave than you have ever had in your life.
- SyncroSonic™ Technology – Quadruple action cutting system:- Most electric shavers don’t shave as close as a manual razor, reason being that they have slow motors and less blades. A manual razor uses one razor blade but it’s tailored to cut close & clean which is a different thing with most electric shavers. Braun series 9 9095cc is a foil shaver but it features a quadruple action cutting system which ensures that no beard / hair is left standing; To add on that, its blades make 40,000 cuts per minute. At this speed, no hair will be left on your skin, be it hair growing in different directions. All electric shavers on the market range between 10,000 – 14,000 cuts per minute, so just imagine what 40,000 CPM would do. I highly recommend this shaver to men with thick / coarse beards. It will give you a close shave in less than 5 minutes.
- Wet & dry:- If you upgrade from Series 7 799CC-6WD CC4 , you will not miss this feature because Series 9 9095cc is wet & dry. You can opt for wet / dry shaving any time you want. Majority of men prefer wet shaving to dry shaving because it offers the best results and it is very comfortable. If you have a sensitive skin, you should opt for wet shaving but make sure you use the right shaving cream and brush. On the other hand, Men who do well with dry shaving, it is time to upgrade from Braun series 7-790cc and experience the power and efficiency of Series 9 9095cc. This model cuts as close as a razor and its micro-thin foils will maneuver over your skin easily without pulling / nicking your skin. Series 7-790cc stops at 10,000 Cuts per Minute yet this model makes 40,000 cuts per minute. This is something you should not miss; it will reduce your normal shaving time.
- HyperLift & Cut trimmer:- Our beards grow in different directions, some lay flat while other stand straight. However, when you shave with an electric razor which doesn’t have a lift & cut feature, the possibility of getting a real close shave is next to none. On the other hand, if you use Series 9095cc, it will lift and cut flat-laying beards / hair hence give you a real clean close shave. Both Series 5 & 7 have this feature and I guess that’s to why majority of men prefer Braun shavers to other models out there on the market.
- Direct & Cut trimmer: – The main purpose of this feature is to capture beards / hairs growing in different directions. This will ensure that no beard / hair is left in your skin. Men who like bald heads, you can use Series 90955c to shave your head but I’m not sure if it can be used to shave bikini area / balls because it’s too powerful.
- OptiFoil™:- This is a standard feature found in both Series 7 and 9. It is very smooth and thin. This shaver’s blades are hidden beneath this OptiFoil to prevent direct interaction of blades with your skin. However, the foil is very thin; it will maneuver over your facial skin smoothly without causing any irritation.
- Sonic Technology: – Braun Series 9’s intelligent Sonic Technology has 40,000 micro vibrations per minute. It is better than Series 5 & 7 which stop at 10,000 vibrations per minute. It reads your face and identifies different contours hence adjust to each contour and shave it as close as a manual / straight razor. It can as well know the density of your beards and automatically adjusts its speed to suit the density of your beards.
- MultiHeadLock: – Since the head pivots to different angles, you need to use a MultiHead Lock to secure the shaving head in a right angle.
- Precision trimmer:- This is not a new feature, we already have it in the other series but a perfect shaver should have all essential features. A precision trimmer can be used to groom / trim sideburns & mustache.
- LED battery display:- This is a small feature which Series 7 lacks. It will save you from disappointments because you will always know the battery status of your shaver. This shaver can be fully charged in just 1 hour and you will get 45 – 50 minutes of nonstop shaving. It is a cordless shaver so you can’t use it when plugged into power. However, if you have no time to wait for a fully charge, opt for a 5 minute charge, this will give you between 2 – 3 shaves. To save your battery and prolong its life, I advice you to charge your shaver until its fully charged, quick / small charges can reduce on the life expectancy of your shavers battery.
- Rechargeable or mains operation (2 way):- You can charge this shaver with its charge station or a wall plug. Either way, choose what works best for you.
- Waterproof:- I’m sure majority of men enjoy shaving while in the shower. Great, Braun Series 9 is 100% waterproof, you can use it while in the shower and get a close clean shave. If you don’t want to clog your shower, turn on shower water so that it sweeps beards as you cut them.
- Protective travel pouch included:- This can be used when travelling.
- Cleaning:-This model can be cleaned with tap water or alcohol based solution which you can put in the shavers cleaning station. If you use tap water, make sure you mix it with soap and also use a brush to remove clogged shaving cream / beards from the shavers head.
- Charging:- This shavers battery can be charged using a Clean & Charge station. It is advisable to leave it fully charged so that you don’t get bother with quick (small) charges every time you want to shave. Good news is that once the battery is fully charged in (1 hour), you will have 45 – 50 minutes of nonstop shaving. An average user will shave for 5 minutes, so 45 minutes can take you for 3 weeks. Avoid quick battery charges and leaving on the shaver after use, this drains the battery and reduces its life span. Remember all electric shavers have non-replaceable batteries. So, once the battery dies, get prepared to buy a new shaver.
- Lubricating: – Unlike most electric shavers which require regular lubrication, this model is quite different. It lubricates its self when being cleaned via the cleaning & charge station. Cleaning formula used in your cleaning station works as a lubricant, so as the blades get cleaned, they will be lubricated as well and this cleaning formula has a refreshing lemon scent which makes the shaver smell good.
- Cleaning mode for your shaver:- You can as well select a fast clean mode and get a quick shaver cleaning of about 25 seconds.
- Blade Replacement: – Since it is a premium electric shaver, you’re expected to replace blades after 18 months. After replacing blades, the shaver will perform and deliver in the same way.
- Automatic Program Selection:- This will detect when your shaver was last cleaned before assigning the right cleaning mode.
TROUBLE SHOOTING BRAUN SERIES 9:
What you have to know is that this model has been crafted with care and it meets international standards. However, just like any other electrical gadget, the possibilities of jamming / refusing to work are high. So this is what you can do to get things right.
- If it refuses to start:- This issue can be caused by various reasons such as (1) – Low charge, (2) Activated travel lock, (3) Plugged into power. SOLUTION:- Unlock the shaver and Unplug the shaver. The other thing you have to check is battery charge. If it’s completely ZERO, plug it into power charge it for at least 15 minutes for a quick shave and then charge it fully after shaving.
- If it fails to charge completely:- This might happen but you should not freak out because sometime it caused by a change in Ambient temperature. The recommended Ambient temperature is 5 °C to 35 °C. The other cause might be a loose connection – check the plug and see if it is well connected in the socket. If you’re using a charging station and you don’t see any charging taking place, try to align the shaver properly with the contacts in the Clean& Charge station.
- Bad Smell from the shaver’s head:- Always the first thing which causes this unpleasant smell is dirt and clogged shaving cream in the shavers head. When you wash this model with tap water, it does not get fully cleaned. Once in a while you have to use its Clean & Renew station to fully clean it. Braun cleaning solution has a pleasant smell and it kills all germs hence leaving both the foil and blades extensively cleaned and nice smelling. The other cause could be old cleaning cartridge. You might be using a cleaning station as recommended, but if that cartridge works for more than 8 weeks, its odor changes. So the best solution is to replace it with new cartridge. Please, don’t refill old cartridge with new cartridge….READ MORE ON TROUBLE SHOOTING YOUR NEW BRAUN SERIES 9….HERE….
COMPARE WITH OTHER SERIES 9 SHAVERS:
|Series 9 9095cc Wet&Dry||Series 9 9090cc||Series 9 9050cc||Series 9 9040s Wet&Dry|
|Series 9 9095cc Wet&Dry||Series 9 9090cc||Series 9 9050cc||Series 9 9040s Wet&Dry|
|Wet & Dry technology||Yes||No||No||Yes|
|Quadruple action cutting system:||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Intelligent Sonic Technology:||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Pivoting shaving head||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Flexible cutting elements||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Optimized cutting elements||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Clean & Charge Station||Yes||Yes||Yes||No|
|Automatic program selection||Yes||Yes||Yes||No|
|Battery indicator||LED Battery indicator with numerical display Hygiene status Travel lock indicator||LED Battery indicator with numerical display Hygiene status Travel lock indicator||LED Battery indicator with numerical display Hygiene status Travel lock indicator||LED Battery indicator with numerical display Hygiene status Travel lock indicator|
|Running/Charging time||50 min running time. Full recharge in 1h. 5 min quick charge = 1 shave||50 min running time. Full recharge in 1h. 5 min quick charge = 1 shave||50 min running time. Full recharge in 1h. 5 min quick charge = 1 shave||50 min running time. Full recharge in 1h. 5 min quick charge = 1 shave|
|Corded / Cordless shaving||NO/YES||YES/YES||YES/YES||NO/YES|
|Automatic voltage adaptation||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
BRAUN SERIES 9 VS PANASONIC:
I will center this comparison on two brands; that is Braun series 9 9095CC and Panasonic ES-LV95-S Arc5. Now when I look at features and design of these two models, much is different, but both models are fast and effective. Panasonic ES-LV95-S Arc5’s head pivots to many directions / angles just like that of Braun Series 9. In terms of performance they both maintain a peak performance using very strong motors. When it comes to shape and design, I will give credit to Braun series 9 because its head is quite slim (so it can reach some hard-to-shave areas) yet that of Panasonic ES-LV95-S Arc5 is a little-bit bigger ”though it has been improved. Other features like cleaning system and pop-up beard trimmer do the same job so I will not spend too much time on that.
- CUTTING SHORT BEARDS/HAIR:- I’m sure many of you have issues shaving that o’clock stubble. For some shavers you have to wait until the beard grows fully but with these two premium models, you can easily shave off that 5 o’clock stubble and gain a smooth face. The technology used by these two models to uplift short and flat-laying hair is different but you will get the same results. For example, Braun Series 9 uses HyperLift & Cut trimmer / Direct & Cut trimmer to get rid of short hair and ES-LV95-S Arc5 uses an Innovative Shaving Sensor technology to monitor beard density and adjust its blades & power to clear that beard.
- SPEED:- When it comes to shaving speed, Series 9 wins the competition because it makes 40,000 rounds per minute yet our Panasonic Arc5 makes 14,000 CPM. If you do some math, you will notice that their is difference of 26,000 oscillations.
Since this is a comparison, I have to choose a winner (when it comes to shaving short hair) and my choice is Braun Series 9.
BRAUN SERIES 9 VS PHILIPS 9000:
These two models are completely different in design and functionality. Braun Series 9 is a foil shaver yet Philips Norelco Series 9000 (S9721/84) is a rotary shaver. Now, for those who have never used rotary shavers, they shave in a circular motion and there blades get in direct contact with the skin so some men find them hard to use on sensitive skins and shaving ingrown hair. However, when it comes to Philips Series 9000, blades are very smooth (which makes them friendly on the skin) and the head movies in 8 direction hence cutting more hair than any other norelco’s. When I compare the flexibility of Philips 9000 with that of Braun Series 9; I give credit to the new Braun because its head pivots to all angles hence offer you with more shaving options.
- SPEED SETTING:- This is a feature which makes Philips Series 9000 very unique and relevant to every man. You can manually choose the speed setting basing on the nature of your beard / skin. This means if you have a very sensitive skin, customize the shaver so that it deals with your skin in an appropriate manner. Now for those with thick beards, you can opt for the fastest speed to get quick results. On the other hand, when I look at features for Braun Series 9, I don’t see ”Speed Setting” feature being mentioned any where and that makes Philips Series 9000 a winner. (But you have to remember it shaves in a circular motion, so if you have never used a rotary shaver before, I suggest you buy both foil & rotary models and try each on either sides of your face to compare results.’‘