How To Buy / Choose A Pressure Cooker
Pressure-cooking can actually save you a lot of time, energy and money because a pressure-cooker is capable of getting your food ready in just a few minutes compared to other cooking appliances. But buying good pressure is not easy because you won’t actually know whether you are choosing that is right for your cooking needs. However, when it comes to choosing a pressure-cooker or any other cookware, high-quality and heavy-gauge steel should be put into consideration no-matter how many great features a pressure-cooker may have. In conclusion, in case you’re planning to buy a pressure-cooker for the first time or just upgrading to a newer model, then expect to come across a variety of pressure-cookers on the market and that it why I have prepared this detailed buyer’s guide in order to help you determine the model that is suitable for fulfilling your needs.
RELATED:- What Is The Best Pressure Cooker?
FACTORS TO CONSIDER WHEN PURCHASING OR CHOOSING A PRESSURE-COOKER:
- Consider the material the pressure-material: try to know what the pressure-cooker is made of but they are usually made up of either aluminium or stainless-steel. Aluminium pressure-cookers are lightweight, cheap and provide uniform heating-performance because of the great heat-conduction of aluminium. Stainless-steel pressure cookers are slightly heavier, non-porous and more expensive than aluminium pressure-cookers. The durable nature of the stainless-steel will actually offer the user with several years of use. All in all, you should try to choose a stainless-steel pressure cooker rather than an aluminum-model because it can easily interact with some foods and generate off-flavors.
- Check whether the pressure-cooker has a pressure-indicator: a good pressure-cooker should be capable of reaching 15-psi because this is the recommended standard for most pressure-cooker recipes. This means that you should try to purchase a pressure-cooker capable of reaching this pressure-level for best results. Additionally, get a pressure-cooker with an accurate pressure-indicator which helps to show you the pressure-level while cooking hence eliminating guesswork.
- Choose a pressure-cooker with a quick-release feature: always choose a pressure-cooker with a quick-release option built within its pressure-regulator because this will help to quickly lower the pressure inside the pot without losing heat. In fact, most modern pressure-cookers have this feature because it helps to quickly equalize the pressure within the pot while cooking.
- Check whether the pressure-cooker is equipped safety-features: it’s very important to know whether a pressure-cooker has safety-features before purchasing one yourself. Most modern pressure-cookers have many safety-features that old pressure-cookers did not have. Some of these safety-features include a pressure-regulator, pressure quick-release option and much more. All these features ensure that the pressure inside the pot is stabilized when cooking hence preventing occurrence of any accidents. So it’s recommended to purchase a pressure-cooker with several safety-features if really want to cook safely.
- Consider the size of the pressure-cooker: most pressure-cookers are sold according to the size of their total liquid capacity. But extra space should be left within the pressure-cooker in order to allow steam to build inside the pot while cooking. Additionally, there are sizes of pressure-cookers on the market but the most popular sizes are 4-quart, 6-quart and 8-quart liquid capacities and each of the advantages of each size will help you determine the size best for fulfilling your needs. A 4-quart pressure-cooker is actually a good size for 1 or 2 people because it will prepare meals just enough to accommodate 2-people, a 6-quart pressure-cooker is the most popular size because it just perfect for people with families 2 or more because it can cook most foods and prepare most pressure-cooking recipes. The 8-quart pressure-cooker is a good size for those with large families because it can prepare large batches of food or recipes. However, there are also larger pressure-cookers or canners with capacities of 16, 18 and 23 quart but these are mostly used for pressure canning vegetables, meat and low-acid fruits in pint or quart-jars.
- Consider the brand of the pressure-cooker: pressure-cookers are manufactured by different companies but it very important to choose a brand that will get you the most out of your investment and will provide many years o service. so try to purchase a pressure-cooker from a company that has been in business for several years and is financially stable because you will need to periodically replace a few part on your pressure-cooker in order to keep it operating and if the company was not financially stable and failed then you won’t be able to receive these parts after sometime. Additionally, purchase a brand that has been approved by an independent testing-organization because this means that the pressure-cooker will be able to meet most quality and performance standards.
- Consider the features of the pressure-cooker: you will need to check-out a detailed explanation that provides the different features a given pressure-cooker has before making a purchase. In fact, make sure that the pressure-cooker you are about to purchase has a pressure-regulator, modified weighted-valve, cover locking-system, cooking-rack, pressure-release and other basic features.
- Check whether the pressure-cooker has a handle: before purchasing a pressure-cooker, make sure it has a handle or handles to ensure easy lifting when moving the pressure-cooker. In fact. Some newer models of pressure-cookers have ergonomically designed handles that ensure extra comfort and easy handling. Additionally, a large pressure-cooker with 6-quart and above should have handles on both sides to ensure easy lifting.
- Take note of the pressure-cooker base: when choosing a stainless-steel pressure cooker, make sure to get a model with a bimetal or trimetal base which is typically an aluminium clad bottom. This aluminium-clad bottom actually eliminates scorching, provides excellent heat-conduction and facilitates for easy cleaning.
- Consider the warranty period: purchase a pressure-cooker comes with an extended warranty period and in fact most reputable companies offer at least a 10-year warranty. Additionally, get a pressure-cooker with a warranty on cooker and parts/accessories even though you know that your pressure-cooker can last for decades.
- Don’t choose a pressure-cooker with a non-stick surface: it is recommended to avoid purchasing pressure-cookers with non-stick surfaces because they will not last for long. Secondly, there are health issues related to non-stick coatings and it is best to just avoid pressure-cookers with this coating in order to keep your of your family healthy.
- Check whether a pressure-cooker has an instruction or recipe book: make sure that you purchase a pressure-cooker that comes packaged with an instruction and recipe book. This will provide you with detailed operating instructions and several basic pressure-cooking recipes. In fact, these manuals usually come written in different international-languages and you won’t fail to get read them.