How To Choose The Right Car Seat
A car-seat is one of the most crucial purchases you will ever make for your little-child in order to keep them in good condition while driving. in fact, according to the national highway traffic-safety administration, motor vehicle accidents are increasingly killing and injuring children under 14-years and this is why it is very important to have a car-seat that is appropriate for child’s age and size and also make sure that your car-seat is always installed properly. All in all, choosing the right car-seat for your little-child is extremely important in order to ensure that child is safe and comfortable when travelling. So, try following the instructions listed below on how to buy and install a car-seat for your little-child.
RELATED:- What Is The Best Convertible Car Seat
METHOD-1: PURCHASING THE RIGHT CAR-SEAT FOR YOUR CHILD NEEDS:
- Select an in fact car-seat if you have a newborn child: in case you are having a newborn baby, then you need to invest in a rear-facing infant car-seat because such types of seats are designed to offer optimum safety for babies that weigh between 22 to 35 pounds. Additionally, when sitting in this car-seat the baby’s head should be at least 1cm (0.4in) away from the sides and if not, then the car seat you have chosen is small and you now have to buy or upgrade to a bigger car-seat.
- Buy a convertible car-seat that can last from infant to toddler ages: convertible car-seats are actually a good option in case you plan on using the car-seat for a couple of years. In fact, these car-seats can be converted from a rear-facing seat for small-infants to a front-facing seat for older-infants and toddlers. Additionally, it’s recommended to car-seat in a rear-facing position for as long as possible because this happens to be the safest position for your child. On top of that, your little-child will need a new and bigger car-seat when top of his/her ears is leveling with the top-edge of the current car-seat.
- Get a belt-positioning booster seat if the child is over 4-years: this type of car-seat is best for children over the age of 4-years and weigh at least 40-pounds. In fact, these car-seats are front-facing and use car’s regular seatbelts to secure the child while sitting. However, when the child has outgrown the booster car-seat, then he/she should be able to sit in the car independently without using a car-seat.
- Consider purchasing a car-seat that will fit into a baby-stroller: you should also consider getting a baby-seat which can easily be removed from the car and then attached to a baby-stroller. In fact, this type of car-seat is very convenient because you won’t have to remove your child from one seat to another. However, these types of car-seats and strollers are usually sold in a set and this makes them a little bit expensive.
METHOD-2: THINK ABOUT THE PRACTICALITIES OF A CAR-SEAT:
- Measure the car-space so that you can be able to buy the appropriate sized car-seat: it is very important to measure the space where the car-seat will rest because this will enable you to purchase a car-seat that perfectly fit into the back of your car. In fact, if you happen to buy a seat that is too-big, then you won’t be able to secure it properly and this is unsafe for your little-child. So, always measure the available space in the back of your car in order to figure-out the best car-seat size before making a purchase. If possible, test-out the car-seat before making a purchase in order to ensure that it fits perfectly and comfortably into the back of your back and some stores will actually let you do this.
- Do some window-shopping until you find a good deal: move to different stores before buying a car-seat until you find a store that sell car-seats which meet your needs and at the best price. All in all, go to several stores in order to compare the different car-seat styles and prices before making a purchase. On the other hand, you can also decide to check out the different car-seats from several stores but then make a purchase online at a low-price after seeing a car-seat that meets your needs.
- Buy a car-seat that is easy to carry: when purchasing an infant car-seat, always look for a seat that will be easy to carry because you will have to spend the next few-months carrying your baby in and out of the house, visiting friends and family, etc. so, test-out the car-seat before making purchase by simply placing something heavy into the seat and then carry it around the store for a few minutes in order to know whether it’s comfortable and easy to carry around with baby inside.
- Consider the type of fabric/material covering the car-seat: the type of material car-seat is made from is very important in case you wish to keep your little-child comfortable. So, try selecting a car-seat with a more natural and breathable material like cotton because this will prevent the little-child from becoming too hot and sweaty when in their seat. Additionally, you should also choose a car-seat with a material that is smooth and easy-to-clean.
- Try testing-out the car-seat before making a purchase: before making a purchase, place a little-child into the seat in order to know whether your child feels secure and comfortable while sitting in it.
METHOD-3: MAKE SURE THE CAR-SEAT IS SAFELY INSTALLED:
- Read through the car-seat instructions before installation: always read through instructions that come with the car-seat before you attempt installing the seat. This is important because it will help you understand the proper installation-method and this will save you a lot of time.
- Make sure the car-seat firmly held into place with a seat-belt: most car-seats are usually secured into correct-position using the car’s seat-belt which is often passed through the base of the seat in a particular way. So, when installing the car-seat always make sure that the seat-belt follows the right path in order to hold the car-seat firmly into place.
- Check whether the seat-straps have been positioned correctly: try testing the position of the straps by simply placing the little-child into the car-seat and then ensure that the straps are fairly-tight and you should be able to easily adjust the tightness of the straps. Additionally, ensure that the straps are following the right path over the child’s shoulders and between the legs.
- Test if you can easily buckle or unbuckle the child from the car-seat: you should also try buckling and unbuckling the little-child for several times until you get used to it because this is very important if you need to remove the child from the seat quickly.
- Learn to change the position of the car-seat: you should also get to know how to change the position of car-seat by simply making some practice. This will actually involve adjusting the head-rest and straps, switching the car-seat from rear-facing to front-facing and practicing to lift the car-seat in and out of the car.