How To Remove Fluoride From Drinking Water
Controversy has been rising around the world about the practice of Water Fluoridation or adding fluoride into drinking-water as a means of killing bacteria and preventing tooth-decay. However, although fluoride can kill bacteria, some studies have shown that it can adding fluoride to water can cause more harm than good to human-health whereby a 2014 study by Grandjean and Landrigen even lists fluoride as a developmental-neurotoxin. On top of that, fluoride is very difficult to remove from water because it’s a very small-ion (atomic-number 9) and this means that it just can’t be filtered out of water. So, I have decided to list for you the 3 simple methods of removing chemicals like fluoride from your drinking water and i think they will be of great help to you.
RELATED:- What Is The Best Water Filter System
METHODS OF REMOVING FLUORIDE FROM WATER:
- REVERSE OSMOSIS: reverse-osmosis is actually a process used to purify and separate water and other solvents from other components/chemicals. In fact, this purification-method is increasingly being used for making pure-water for dialysis in hospitals and producing water for injections. Additionally, reverse-osmosis is also used to purify some types of bottled-water. However, although reverse-osmosis systems tend to be unaffordable for personal use, there actually some affordable and smaller reverse-osmosis water-filter system that you can purchase in order to purify your drinking water from home.
- WATER DISTILLATION: the distillation-process actually relies on evaporation so as to purify water. In fact, with distillation contaminated-water is heated to form steam and this means that inorganic-compounds and large, non-volatile molecules don’t evaporate with water hence leaving them behind. After, the steam is then left to cool and condense in order to generate purified water. Likewise, distillation is the most-effective way of removing inorganic-compounds like; metals (iron and lead), nitrates (calcium and magnesium) and particles from any contaminated water-supply. On the other hand, the boiling-process during distillation helps to kill microorganisms like bacteria and some viruses’ harboring within water. However, the effectiveness of distillation in terms of removing organic-compounds varies depending on the chemical-characteristics of the organic-compound as solubility and boiling-point. So, only organic-compounds which boil at temperatures greater than the boiling-point of water will be effectively removed from water but chemicals like benzene and toluene will be vaporized along with water and these will have to be removed during the condensation-process in order to avoid recontamination of purified-water. All in all, there are available commercial distillation-filters on the market today and these will actually help individual users to remove fluoride from water when at home.
- ACTIVATED-ALUMINIA DEFLUORIDATION FILTER: activated-aluminia is actually an inorganic-substance produced by dehydration of aluminia-hydroxide at high temperatures. This substance is also resistant to thermal-shock and abrasion, doesn’t swell, shrink, soften of disintegrate when immersed in water. Additionally, activated-aluminia is highly porous and features a tremendous surface-area hence resulting into superior, absorbent capabilities. On the other hand, aluminia features amphoteric-properties and this enables it to act as an acid or base. All in all, Activated-Alumina de-fluoridation filters are usually used in areas where fluorosis is prevalent. In fact, these filters are relatively expensive and may require frequent replacement but don’t offer an option for home-water filtration.
- BONE CHAR-CARBON PROCESS: Bone char-carbon is a granular material which is produced by charring animal-bones. In fact, these animal-bones are heated to high-temperatures in a range of 400-500 °C in an oxygen-depleted atmosphere in order to control the quality this product as related to its absorption-capacity. The substance produced is used in processes like; defluoridation of water and removal of heavy-metals from aqueous-solutions. However, because of the nature of decomposing organic-matter, difficulties found in collecting a lot of bones and the intense heat required to generate this substance, it is recommended to purchase this substance from a pharmaceutical store than making it yourself.
OTHER WAYS TO REDUCE ON FLOURIDE EXPOSURE:
- Stop drinking fluoridated water: tap-water consumption is the largest source of fluoride-exposure for people living in areas where fluoride is added to water. So, if you live in an area with fluoridates in its water, then you can avoid drinking such water by using a water-filters, spring-water and distilling your water before consumption.
- Consider using toothpaste that doesn’t contain fluoride: avoid using fluoride-toothpaste and don’t even let your kids swallow fluoride-toothpaste because this is a major risk-factor for disfiguring dental-fluorosis. In fact, swallowing fluoride-toothpaste leads to ingestion which is a not good health condition.
- Reduce on the consumption of green, red and black tea: there are several benefits associated with chemical-compounds found in tea but you should actually avoid this red or black tea if you want to reduce fluorine-intake. This is because black and red tea comes from 2-different types of plant-leaves but they all contain high-amounts of fluorine.
- Avoid over-consuming tinned or canned food items: try to avoid eating tinned-fish and other canned-foods because these tend because fluoride is usually used as a preservative in such foods. So, try shifting from consuming processed-foods to fresh-foods.
- Avoid using non-stick pans (Teflon-coated pans): some researchers have found-out that cooking using Teflon-coated pans can increase on fluoride-content within food. So, in case you have a Teflon-coated pan at the moment, then consider switching to a stainless-steel pan.
- Be mindful of fluorinated pharmaceuticals: many pharmaceuticals are actually fluorinated and this means they contain a substance called carbon-fluorine bond. In fact, some fluorinated-drugs have been found to metabolize into the fluoride within your body and this greatly increases someone’s exposure to fluoride. Such medicines include cipro, Niflumic-acid, Flecainide, and Voriconazole. So, avoid long-term consumption of medications that contain fluorine or break-down into fluoride.
- Avoid consuming fluoridated-salt: in case you live in country that allows fluoridated-salt to be sold in the market, then make sure that salt you purchase is un-fluoridated in order to reduce on the consumption of fluoride. In fact, consuming fluoridated-salt can greatly increase on a person’s fluoride exposure.