What Is The Best Sewing Machine – 2017 Detailed Review
The best sewing machine will cost you some good money which is why it is necessary to sit down and think carefully before you can go ahead and invest in the machine. Knowing what the best machine is may not be such a big task but this also depends on what your needs as an individual are since different types of sewing machines perform differently. After your needs, the next thing you have to think about are the skills you have in using a sewing machine, it just doesn’t make any sense if you invest in a very good, expensive and high end sewing machine that you can’t even use. In this post though, you will not only find the top best ten sewing machines but also a buying guide that will help go over the whole process easily. The guide will take you through the most important things you need to be keen about when buying a sewing machine and there after the very best sewing machines to make sewing even more enjoyable.
OUR TOP 5 CHOICES – 2017:
- SINGER 4423 Heavy Duty Extra-High Sewing Speed Sewing Machine – Check Price on Amazon*********It features 23 Built-in Stitches, an Extra High sewing speed of 1,100 stitches per minute and a Heavy Duty interior Metal Frame which remains stable when sewing….
- Janome 2212 Sewing Machine – Check Price on Amazon
- Brother XL2600I Sew Advance Sew Affordable 25-Stitch Free-Arm Sewing Machine – Check Price on Amazon
- Michley LSS-505 Lil’ Sew & Sew Multi-Purpose Sewing Machine – Check Price on Amazon
- Brother CS6000i Feature-Rich Sewing Machine With 60 Built-In Stitches – Check Price on Amazon
BUYING GUIDE-WHAT TO LOOK FOR:
Just like with many other machines, your needs are number one determination when you want to buy a sewing machine. Some people simply want a basic sewing machine to get a few house sewing projects done while others are more than ready to pay for the extra features. Others need something that will be effortless as long as it can do what they want even when they have never used a sewing machine before which is what the high end machines do. Well, it doesn’t really matter what your needs are because all I want to clear out are the things that make a sewing machine the best. So after reading through this guide you will be able to confidently buy the best sewing machine depending on what your budget can cater for and how much skill you have to put it to use.
- Type of sewing machine; before you can go ahead and invest in just any sewing machine, you need to know about the different types so you can compare and see which types is best for your needs. The 3 main types include;
- Electronic sewing machine: these cost a little more but the price is really worth it because they are very effortless, can excellently accomplish a wide range of sewing projects and are very good for people who sew all the time. They usually offer a very wide variety of stitch options and have really easy one touch controls so if it fits your budget then it is always good to go ahead and pay for it.
- Mechanical sewing machine:these machines are only good at a few simple sewing projects like making simple clothing, mending basic damages or repairing hems. They don’t really cost much so if you don’t sew that often and are manually operated so if you are ready to put your hands to use, a mechanical sewing machine is not a bad option at all.
- Embroidery sewing machines: these machines combine all the features that electronic machines have with the ability to do embroidery and monogramming on fabrics. These machines allow you to make color changes and many different designs and are controlled by a computer.
- Features: whether it is a basic or high end machine, there are features that are a must for any sewing machine to have and these are shown below.
- Ergonomics and controls: a good sewing machine should have controls that are easily accessible, understandable and really easy to operate. It is also best to look for a machine that leaves control in your hands so that you regulate your sewing session. A good machine quickly responds when pressure is applied to foot pedal no matter how thick or how many layers of fabric you are working on.
- Needle position: it enables you to shift the needle to various positions, left to right or up and down when you stop applying pressure on the foot pedal.
- Needle threader: this saves you the burden of over straining your eyes outing the thread through the eye of the needle by the needle through it.
- Lightweight:a light weight sewing machine makes it easy for you to move it from one place to another especially if you have to sew from different places or carry the machine away for storage.
- Stitches: it is best to choose a sewing machine with at least 12 stitches because the more the stitches the more chance you have to get creative with your machine. In addition to the number of stitches, you also need to consider the maximum stitch width and length.
- Power switch: in case you have kids in your home this is a very important safety feature as it will help you ensure your kids are safe when you’renot around. It should be easily reachable when you need to turn the machine on or off.
- Speed: no one wants to sit all day finishing just one activity, so it is always best to get a machine that is fast enough to finish tasks as fast and neatly as possible. You can know the speed of a sewing machine from the number of stitches it makes per minute.
- Tension adjustment:thread tension should adjust easily if not automatically according to the fabric that you are sewing. The thread should not be too tight and neither should it be too loose.
- Presser feet: a sewing machine should have many different presser feet for you to choose from, for example a multi-purpose foot, adjustable presser foot among others depending on what task you are dealing with.
- Brand: to avoid any regrets make sure you buy your sewing machine from of the main brands, for example in this post I have included sewing machine from known brands like SINGER, JANOME, BROTHER and MICHLEY. Such brands don’t want to sacrifice their names so they always make quality machines that will meet up to customers’ expectations.
- Price: what you need to know is that you will not find a high end sewing machine that comes at a very low price so if you want the best be ready to invest some good money in it. However this does not mean that pay for features that you have no idea about, sewing machines start from as low as $100 and can go high up to $600. But don’t be surprised if you find one that is above $600 or one that even lower than $100.
LIST OF THE BEST SEWING MACHINES – 2017:
- SINGER 4423 Heavy Duty Extra-High Sewing Speed Sewing Machine
Not even the toughest projects can defeat the SINGER 4423 Heavy Duty Extra-High Sewing Speed Sewing Machine. The sewing machine features a really powerful motor and extra high sewing speed which enables it to go through any material that you will toss at it. It is very durable thanks to the heavy duty metal frame and stainless steel bed plate. With its ease of use and versatility, you can use this 4423 Heavy Duty sewing machine to do just anything you want whether it is change some garments or start whole new projects. It does not just stop at that, it also has a needle threader which is very fast to save a lot of your time. Therefore if you have some of those beautiful and creative designs, this is the time for you to put into existence.
The SINGER 4423 Heavy Duty Extra-High Sewing Speed Sewing Machine runs with a strong motor that enables to accomplish several tasks. It also comes with an all-purpose foot, button hole foot, zipper foot, lint brush or seam ripper, bobbins, needles, spool pin felt and auxiliary spool pin.
Any good machine worth investing some bucks in must be both amazingly durable and perform remarkably and that is what the SINGER 4423 Heavy Duty Extra-High Sewing Speed Sewing Machine does. It is designed with a convenient drop in bobbin with a clear cover that makes it not just easy to insert and remove the thread but also helps you monitor everything. With its strong motor, this sewing machine can make up to 1100 stitches in just a single minute while the automatic button hole makes it easy for you to make very nice button holes. It has a button sewing foot that enables you put buttons in just a breeze as the drop feed moves with ease and smoothly for sewing monograms and buttons.
- It is extremely durable: this is one of those sewing machines that you can use for years and years. Its heavy duty metal frame allows you to work in perfect alignment at all times while keeping the inner parts in perfect condition.
- It provides a variety of stitches: whether you want to make home décor, starts new projects, mend clothing etc. you can do all that with this one sewing machine because it offers a really wide variety of stitches for the user to choose from.
- Powerful motor by up to 60%
- Three needle positions customizable to your personal needs
- 23 built in stitches including 4 stretch stitches, 12 decorative stitches, 6 basic stitches and a button hole.
- Automatic needle threader for less straining threading
- 1100 stitches each minute
- Automatic full one step button hole
- Presser foot pressure control that is adjustable
- Top drop in bobbin with clear view for easy monitoring
- On board storage to keep accessories near by
- Heavy duty metal frame
- Free arm for easy access to hard to reach areas
- Extra high presser foot lifter
- Snap on presser feet for easy change of the presser feet
- Adjustable stitch length
2. Janome 2212 Sewing Machine
You don’t need any kind of experience to use the Janome 2212, even beginners find it easy to use it. From its large stitch selection, length and width adjustment it becomes overly simple for any to use. The Janome 2212 parks 12 stitches plus a four step button hole, for a wide variety of sewing options, it has both a free arm and drop feed so be sure to get creative with it. Combining its light weight, fair price and simplicity of use, this makes the perfect sewing machine for you to try out.
The Janome 2212 Sewing Machine also comes with a whole pack of accessories and these include a bobbin, blind foot, needle set for all sewing needs, seam ripper, zipper foot, foot control and the button hole foot.
Whether you want to work on natural fibers like cotton and wool, fine fabrics like silk, satin or velvet, synthetic fabrics, upholstery and knits, the Janome 2212 Sewing Machine is just what you need. Janome has been well known for making quality sewing machine and the 2212 is no exception because the quality of stitches it makes is super first class. Much as this sewing machine misses out on features and stitch options offered by other sewing machine, the few that it has work excellently which makes it a great choice for anyone who wants just a basic sewing machine. The 2212 offers 12 stitches that are easy to select with the handy stitch selection dial, generally there are very many features you can enjoy with this sewing machine and each of them performs to user’s expectations. It however produces a loud noise that users found uncomfortable and irritating.
- It is very easy to use and understand:this is the perfect sewing machine for beginners reason being it is extremely easy to understand for example it has a stitch chart that shows what each one of the stitches looks like. It stitch selector dial is well labeled so you can easily know which stitch to choose. With all those clues novices find no problem using the Janome 2212 sewing machine.
- 12 stitches for added versatility
- Extra high presser foot lift
- A four step button hole
- Push-pull bobbin winder
- 5 piece feed dog
- Snap on presser foot
- Free arm that is very easy to use
- Easy to reach reverse lever
- Stitch selector dial
- Stitch chart
- Stitch length and width adjustment
- Needle plate
3. Brother XL2600I Sew Advance Sew Affordable 25-Stitch Free-Arm Sewing Machine
If you thought using a sewing machine was extremely hard or impossible for beginners then you surely have been using the wrong sewing machines because the Brother XL2600I Sew Advance Sew Affordable 25-Stitch Free-Arm Sewing Machine prove otherwise. All the features of this sewing machine are very easy to use and understand. This light weight and compact machine comes with a very clear instruction manual that makes it even simpler for users to operate it. Loaded with many amazing features, this sewing machine can accomplish each and every sewing task you may want it to. It is very convenient so your daily sewing will be made easier once you have the Brother XL2600I which makes it an ideal sewing machine for anyone sewing for the first time.
The Brother XL2600I Sew Advance Sew Affordable 25-Stitch Free-Arm Sewing Machine also comes with a set of needles, twin needles, three bobbins, presser foot, buttonhole foot for making nice and precise button holes, button fitting foot, extra spool pin, blind stitch foot, darning plate and narrow hemmer foot.
If you are looking for that basic sewing machine but will make your sewing much more enjoyable, look no further than the Brother XL2600I Sew Advance Sew Affordable 25-Stitch Free-Arm Sewing Machine. It offers as many as 25 stitches for you to get very creative on whatever sewing project that you may be working on. With those stitches you can quickly fix any emergencies, make different upholstery or even make your own clothes if you so wish. It has a one-step button whole stitch for you to make precise and quick button holes while it makes 800 stitches each and every minute. The XL2600I does not have very many additional features but being a basic sewing machine it has just the right features that any beginner would need for an enjoyable sewing session. This foot pedal operated machine features a dial tension control that makes it easy for you to get the best thread tension for the particular fabric you are working on.
- It has a really good number of stitches: any good sewing machine should be versatile and that is what the Brother XL2600I is, it gives you a chance to test you creativity with its many stitch options. 25 stitches is a good amount of stitches for anyone whether it is a professional sewer or a first time one.
- Anti-resistant top drop in bobbin
- Automatic needle threader for easy threading
- Simple stitch selector
- Light bulb when working in dark places
- 25 built in stitches to suit all sewing projects
- Built in accessory storage
- 110 volt
- Free arm for easy use
- Very easy bobbin winding
- One step auto sized button holes
- Light weight of only 11lbs
4. Michley LSS-505 Lil’ Sew & Sew Multi-Purpose Sewing Machine
Just in case you don’t have enough space or you simply want that sewing machine that will not be bulky for you, the Michley LSS-505 Lil’ Sew & Sew Multi-Purpose Sewing Machine will the perfect alternative for you. For any basic sewing needs that you might want to take care of, this sewing machine will always be there to help because of its versatility. Being multi-purpose, it features 8 built in stitches that work at two different speeds. This Michley LSS-505 sewing machine is designed with an LED light to illuminate as you work in dark areas. This light weight and portable sewing machine has its own storage drawer where you can have all accessories kept safely.
Just because it is not one of those high ends machines doesn’t mean it doesn’t come with any parts. The Michley LSS-505 Lil’ Sew & Sew Multi-Purpose Sewing Machine comes with a needle, threader, two bobbins, foot pedal, two thread spools and storage drawer in which you can keep all accessories to make them readily available at all times.
The Michley LSS-505 Lil’ Sew & Sew Multi-Purpose Sewing Machine is one space saving and multi-purpose sewing machine that anyone would love to own to take care of small house sewing projects. It is designed with double thread capacity, two speeds and 8 in built stitches that allow you to make your projects just the way you want them. It uses DC 6 volt power and allows you to sew either with the foot pedal or hand switch when adding buttons. This sewing machine is great for hemming, sewing linen but not so much advisable when working on thick and heavy materials. The Michley is an efficient machine for people that don’t sew often, work on few fabrics or only mend a few damages. All in all, this machine is very affordable even for those with low budgets yet there is nothing complicated about operating it.
- It is sturdily built and cost efficient: the Michley LSS-505 Lil’ Sew & Sew Multi-Purpose Sewing Machine will get you sewing for a really long period of time because of its great quality and sturdy construction. I say it is cost efficient since it does not run on batteries so you don’t have to go through the maintenance expense for replacement batteries.
- 8 in built stitch patterns
- Double thread capacity
- Double speed
- Automatic thread rewind
- Forward and reverse sewing
- Adjustable stitch width
- Built in sewing light that helps you sew in dim or dark room
5.Brother CS6000i Feature-Rich Sewing Machine With 60 Built-In Stitches
You don’t have to spend money buying clothes that are fashionable enough to fit your style when you can make them on your own with this Brother CS6000i Feature-Rich Sewing Machine. TheCS6000i offers you a variety of features both automatic for ease of use and advanced ones that allow you get more creative with as time goes by. It does a good number of sewing projects such as adding decorative designs on any clothing and creating quilts on large fabric with its 60 different stitches. It has 9 presser feet for you to choose from, it is user friendly and also very portable for those who plan on moving it from one place to another. With this sewing machine you will get one of the best sewing experiences without going too hard on your budget.
The Brother CS6000i Feature-Rich Sewing Machine uses many different parts and these include a seam ripper, spool pins, bobbins, set of needles and then a full set of accessory feet, monogramming foot, zigzag foot, zipper foot, buttonhole foot, blind stitch foot, button fitting foot, over casting foot, walking foot and finally the blind stitch foot.
The Brother CS6000i Feature-Rich Sewing Machine gives each and every reason to go in for it. This effective sewing machine is very user friendly due to its easily understandable features but most of all has become a favorite for many due to its amazing affordability. TheCS6000i has as many as 60 stitches that involve 20 decorative stitches for adding those nice and attractive designs, 20 stitches for sewing clothes, 6 heirloom stitches, 7 quilting stitches and lastly 7 button hole stitches. It has an LCD stitch selector that allows you to easily select which ever stitch you want to use. Threading is a breeze and you can always control your sewing speed by choosing either to sew at a fast or low speed. With the CS6000i you just have to touch the lever and the automatic needle threader will put the thread through the needle without you having to strain your eyes. It is also designed with a free arm that makes it easy for you to perfectly work on sleeves and cuffs. It’s high time you realized how easy it is to make all those beautiful quilts when you have a fantastic sewing machine like the Brother CS6000i.
- It accommodates even extra-large projects: if you want to sew or quilt fabrics that are too large then this is surely the perfect sewing machine for you since it has an over sized table that allows maximum maneuvering over large fabrics.
- 60 stitches including 7 styles of one step button holes 20 decorative stitches and 20 stitches to make garments, 6 heirloom stitches and 7 quilting stitches.
- On board accessory storage to keep accessories handy
- Hard cover case for added durability
- Needle set
- 3 bobbins
- Cleaning brush
- In built LED light to lighten up working space
- LCD display that shows which stitch and stitch length or width you are using
- Adjustable sewing speed
- Automatic needle threader
- Jam resistant quick step-top-drop in bobbin
6. Brother LS2125i Easy-to-Use, Everyday Sewing Machine with 10 stitches
For all the basic house sewing project such scrap booking and mending quick damages, the Brother LS2125i is definitely the perfect sewing machine. This machine does not discriminate between beginners and skilled daily sewers since it has been molded it has been designed with everyone in mind. It features 10 stitches with each one them having multiple functions and auto bobbing wind system. With the Brother LS2125i, you will never get interrupted by stitches that are not using thank to its reverse lever that keeps completed stitches out of the way. Your basic sewing projects should be no reason for you to worry any more when it you can make it all simple with this portable sewing machine.
The Brother LS2125i Easy-to-Use, Everyday Sewing Machine comes with different presser feet which include button sewing foot, zipper foot and buttonhole foot. In its accessory pouch there is a set of needles, darning plate, twin needle, a spool pin and 3 bobbins.
If you are a beginner and you plan on sewing on daily basis, the Brother LS2125i Easy-to-Use, Everyday Sewing Machine is designed specifically for you. Besides its lightweight, this sewing machine has also been credited for the fact that it is extremely easy to use and does not require any kind of expertise to learn. With its 10 in built stitches, the LS2125imakes such a perfect machine for making simple changes to clothing and any other basic sewing projects. You can control its operation with the foot pedal and stitching speed that allows fast or slow sewing. With this sewing machine you can easily change from one presser feet to another depending on what your desires and in addition it keeps stitching very smooth and neat with the upper thread tension control dial. Making button hole and fitting buttons on is another task that this sewing machine can accomplish with great ease.
- 4 step in built auto-size button hole
- 10 stitches that is to say blind hem, satin, zigzag stitching, straight, elastic 4 step automatic button holler with each one having multiple functions
- Stitch length and width auto set adjustment
- In built blind hem and elastic stitches
- Control dial for upper thread tension
- Presser feet that are easily changeable
- Flatbed convertible sewing surface
- Extremely easy bobbin winding system
- Stitch balance control
- In built light that lights up the work area
- Forward and reverse sewing
- Electronic speed control
7. SINGER 2259 Tradition Easy-to-Use Free-Arm 19-Stitch Sewing Machine
If you have never sewn before, the SINGER 2259 Tradition Easy-to-Use Free-Arm 19-Stitch Sewing Machine is the machine you need to fall in love with this whole new experience. It threads very quickly and with great so you don’t have to go through the frustration of threading. It has 19 in built stitches which is a really good number of options for you to choose from when sewing. Above all that this machine features a heavy duty frame which guarantees excellent sewing and longtime use.
The SINGER 2259 Tradition Easy-to-Use Free-Arm 19-Stitch Sewing Machine uses different presser feet including button hole foot, all-purpose foot, zipper foot. It also comes with 15 quality bobbins, needles and foot pedal.
Given the price of this SINGER 2259 Tradition sewing machine, you would not expect it to provide first class performance and durability but it does. This is one of the best performing yet really cheap machines on the market lately, its automatic bobbin winding makes it very easy to use yet it comes with a whole lot of accessories to make your sewing session more interesting. since every function on the machine is clearly labeled even first times find it very easy to operate the singer 2259 sewing machine.
- 19 in built stitches to give more options on different projects
- 1 automatic 4 step button hole
- Adjustable zigzag width and stitch length
- 4 snap on presser feet for effortless changing
- Heavy duty metal frame
- Extra high presser foot lifter
- 4-section feed dog system for precise feeding
- Adjustable tension for all fabrics
- Automatic bobbin winding
8. SINGER 7258 Stylist
With a gorgeous collection of features, the SINGER 7258 Stylist is the perfect sewing machine to make garment creating much more interesting and something to always look forward to. This little machine has over 100 stitch patterns that are extremely easy to select with the stitch selection button, flexible stitch length and width, 10 presser feet and an LED light to illuminate the work area.
The SINGER 7258 Stylist comes with a set of needles, 15 bobbins, needle and darning plate, foot pedal, and 10 presser feet including quarter inch foot, button hole foot, blind stitch foot, rolled hen foot, embroidery foot, zipper foot and satin stitch foot.
The SINGER 7258 Stylist sewing machine has been designed with each and every feature for any sewing and embroidery project. It is performs excellently whether it’s on crafts, quilts or sewing to deliver 100% satisfaction for all users. This machines threads easily and offers as many as 100 stitch patterns for you to choose from. This strongly built machine adjusts tension according to the fabric and operates quietly for a completely uninterrupted session. Therefore if you are tired of any of those hassle-filled traditional sewing machines, this 7258 stylist sewing machine is the perfect way to having completely advanced and better sewing sessions.
- Programmable needle up or down
- 100 stitch patterns
- Start and stop button with speed control
- Automatic presser foot pressure
- Automatic needle threader
- Twin needle capability
- 13 needle positions
- Always bright LED light
- Automatic reverse.
9. Brother HC1850 Computerized Sewing and Quilting Machine with 130 Built-in Stitches
Whether it is for quilting, sewing or monogramming, the Brother HC1850 is simply the choice you will never regret making. It offers 130 stitches with a convenient flip chart that shows which clearly illustrates all the stitches. It also has 170 stitch functions, detachable foot controller and very unique feed system to let you sew or quilt on absolutely any fabric of your choice.
You can use the Brother HC1850 Computerized Sewing and Quilting Machine with any of its changeable 9 presser feet that is to say monogramming foot, overcasting foot, button hole foot, bling stitch foot, quilting foot, button fitting foot. You also need needles, ball point needle, twin needle and bobbins.
For those of you that have been looking for a sewing machine that can do every task you throw at it, the Brother HC1850 sewing machine is surely what you have been looking for. This machine can make new clothes or add all those fashionable and really stylish designs on plain fabric with in no time and without requiring too much effort. Whether you use the machine’s controls or use the foot pedal, the HC1850 still gives you the same spectacular results. even with the extremely wide variety of stitch options and functions that this machine has to offer, it is still super easy to read, understand and operate.
- 130 in built stitches with 8 one step button hole styles
- 170 stitch functions
- Convenient stitch flip chart
- Very easy bobbin winding system
- Flexible sewing speed
- Unique feed system
- 9 fast change presser feet
10. Brother SE400 Combination Computerized Sewing and 4×4 Embroidery Machine 100-Stitch Computerized Sewing Machine
Without over straining your budget, the Brother SE400 Combination Computerized Sewing and embroidery machine gives you first class embroidery and sewing results on each and every project. The SE400 is the most versatile sewing and embroidery machine you will ever come across, it has absolutely every single feature you want to use. It has 98 stich functions, 70 decorative designs, 68 sewing stitches, 120 frame pattern combinations and a lot more now what more can you possibly ask for. If you are a beginner to this sewing machine, there is no need to worry since it comes with clear and understandable tutorials that will teach how to go about using this machine. Don’t let the many features scare you, this sewing machine is very easy to use so just get ready to put your innovativeness into real life.
The Brother SE400 Combination Computerized Sewing and 4×4 Embroidery Machine use a 4 inch by 4 inch embroidery hoop, embroidery bobbin thread, free arm, accessory feet including over 7 feet, set of needle and seam ripper. All these are very important for your sewing and embroidery sessions.
If you are an embroidery expert you will by all means fall in love with the Brother SE400 Combination Computerized Sewing and embroidery machine reason being it features as many features as possible that allow you to put all your skills to use. It has a really large embroidery area that allow you to get freely creative and a touch screen LCD display that is easily understandable by all users. The SE400 can advance fabric with great ease due to its 7 point feed dog and prepares bobbins in just a breeze with the convenient bobbing winding system. With the free arm, this sewing machine can easily work on seems, hems and collars but even more interestingly it allows you to get all the best designs from your computer on to the fabric. The great versatility that this machine has makes it qualify to be one of the top 20 sewing machines today, it has over 70 in built designs, 120 frame patterns and 5 font styles. This feature filled sewing machine gives you the chance to enjoy a very wide collection of accessories without going too hard on your budget.
- 70 in built embroidery designs including 5 embroidery fonts
- 67 in built sewing stitches for added creativity on several sewing projects like heirloom, quilting, decoration and utility.
- Spacious embroidery area
- Computer connectivity
- Design editing features for more precise results like decreasing and increasing size of the designs
- Touch screen LDC display
- Fast set drop in top bobbin
- Back lit that illuminates the work area
- Automatic needle threader for easy threading
- Extremely easy bobbing winding system