Today, most workplaces rely on computer systems and this implies that without computers and networks,…
How to Be a System Analyst
Systems analysts are specialists who analyze and improve on the efficiency and productivity of business IT systems and networks. In fact, a systems analyst needs a strong background in computer and business-related fields coupled with teamwork, problem-solving, creativity, and critical thinking. On top of that, most employers will look for a systems analyst with a great educational background and hands-on experience. So, below are some of the steps that will help you become a great systems analyst today.
How To Layout Groundwork:
- Schedule for a meeting with a systems analyst: You will need to schedule a meeting with a systems-analyst expert in-order to more about the field you want to enter. So, try to contact a local business and ask if you could speak with their systems-analyst by setting-up a meeting and also remember to ask questions like; What do you enjoy the most about the job?, How do you keep up with constantly changing technology? and a lot more in-case you get a chance to meet any system-analyst.
- Go for mathematics and physics in high-school: Problem-solving is actually a key trait required in systems-analysis. So, try to go for subjects like mathematics and physics in high-school because they are the 2-major subjects focused on problem-solving. Additionally, a high-grade in these subjects will help you get into college easily and also help you achieve a great career in system-analysis.
- Go for business-classes in high school: computer and IT knowledge is not enough to work as a systems analyst. So, you will need to acquire some business-knowledge by simply going for business-classes in high-school. In fact, business-knowledge is very crucial especially when marketing your services as a systems analyst.
- Learn some coding: Knowing to code in different computer-languages is very essential and a vital asset in working as a systems analyst. So, go to free-websites like; Code Academy and FreeCodeCamp and learn how to code. In fact, the more experienced you are with computers, the better job you will get as a systems analyst.
- Apply for a computer science degree: Although there are several other ways of getting into systems analysis, a bachelor’s degree in computer-science is the best and most direct path to take. However, you may consider taking courses online in computer-science but still an undergraduate degree will look much better on your resume.
How To Acquire A Degree In This Field:
- Take businesses classes: In high-school, you will just learn some basics of business and thats why you will need to take more business classes in college to increase on your knowledge of the subject. So, consider taking classes in management and marketing during college education.
- Go for computer classes related to systems analysis: During your computer science degree, you should try taking classes that will be most relevant to employers looking to hire systems-analysts. Such classes may include; database-design and business information systems.
- Take a minor in a field of interest as a systems analyst: If you wish to work in a specific field as a systems analyst then consider taking a minor in that area to improve your knowledge on the basics of that field. For example, if you prefer working as a systems analyst in finance then consider taking a minor in accounting or similar subjects.
- Get internship in a systems analysis related position: Although college education is great, employers still needs someone with hands-on experience or working-experience. In fact, most computer science programs offer students a chance to go for internships although it’s not that easy find a systems analyst position. However, getting internship in a job closely related to systems analysis will look great on your resume and will also provide you an opportunity to network with people in the field.
- Complete bachelor’s degree: After studying for about 4-years, you should be earning your bachelor’s degree in computer science. Additionally, the higher your grades are, the better your prospects of easily finding a job will get in the future.
How To Apply For And Get A Job As A Systems Analyst:
- Go for a master’s degree to improve on your employ-ability: A bachelor’s degree may be enough for securing a job as a systems analyst but a masters’ degree will help you get a higher pay, get promoted faster and even stand-out against the competition. So, consider taking a master’s degree in business administration, systems-analysis or a master’s in computer-systems.
- Create a resume targeting a systems-analysis position: Developing a well-crafted resume that emphasizes your background will be a great asset in finding a job as a systems analyst. So, consider including a few key things within your resume like; talents in critical-thinking, problem-solving and teamwork, education and work experience, minors and other certifications you earned in your education.
- Apply for jobs in different companies as a systems analyst: After earning your degree and preparing your resume, apply for jobs as a systems analyst. In fact, all types of companies require systems analysts in-order to improve on their efficiency and productivity in their computing and I.T. networks. So, apply for jobs in different companies and you can even use online job-seeking websites like; Indeed, Monster, LinkedIn and a lot more to apply for a systems analysis job.