Today, if you really want to work in the computer-science field but with a flexible…
How to Become an Excellent Information Technology Specialist
An information technology specialist is a person qualified installing and maintaining computer systems coupled with configuring software and wireless networks for companies. So, if this sounds like a career for you, then you consider going for a bachelor’s degree in computer-science or information-technology and even improve on you IT-skills. So, below are some of the steps that will help to guide you in case you want to become a successful IT-specialist.
How to Get the Right Education and skills In-Order to Become an IT-Specialist:
- Go for computer classes while in high school: The best way to prepare for a great IT-career is by learning a lot about computers. In fact, as you spend more time working with computers, you will develop the knowledge on how computers work and how to fix them. This is very important because IT-specialists are meant to set up computers, install software, connect networks, run diagnostics and even troubleshoot common problems with the machines.
- Do some practicals on old computer: you should consider purchasing an old-computer and then take it apart and after put it back together with the help of YouTube tutorials and other online how-tos. In fact, you should take time to familiarize with each part of the computer because this is the best way of learning how a computer works, how to repair it and how to make it perform well.
- Go for a bachelor’s degree in computer science or information technology: Getting a bachelor’s degree in computer science or information technology will allow you to apply for various jobs in this field. Additionally, it will help you spend less time gaining relevant experience in entry-level positions since a degree shows that you have the basic skills needed to be an IT specialist.
- Take communications classes while in college: A computer-science or information-technology degree only prepares you to handle the technical side of an IT-specialist but not communication-skills. However, the biggest part of your job involves communicating with other employees and bosses in-order to understand their problems and solutions. So, you will need to go for communication-classes in-order to develop your public speaking, writing and interpersonal skills.
- Attend tech boot camps within your area: you should consider attending tech boot camps at a local university or online because they will help you cover and learn lots of different topics most especially those crafting people entering careers like; IT-workers. In fact, different boot camps are aimed at different types of students and this implies that you should search for a boot camp that covers the skills you’re interested in developing. However, boot-camps will be more useful to you in-case you have already graduated.
- Go for IT-Certifications: As an IT-Specialist, you should be certified to perform different tasks like; network-setup, computer security & repair and even implementation of new computer technologies. So, consider going for several entry-level certifications because they will help improve on your resume so that you can secure a great job as an IT-specialist. In fact, some IT-certifications can be done and completed online and these include; Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA), CompTIA A+ Technician, CompTIA Network+ and Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE) certifications.
- Go for internship in-order to gain experience: Consider volunteering your skills with a local organization in-order to get experience. In fact, you should list this experience on your resume to show potential employers that you have some experience from the real world.
- Try to stay updated with IT-Trends: Knowing the current IT-Trends will help to improve on your job-outlook. This is very crucial because IT is a constantly evolving and changing world. So, consider going for seminars and conferences focused on IT solutions and continue building your certification portfolio in-order stay up-to-date. Lastly, you may also follow your favorite IT companies on social media to see what they are excited about.