Most website-developers today love using WordPress when creating blogs/websites and this is mainly because WordPress…
How To Create A Multilingual Website With WordPress – Short Course:
Today, there are a lot of people who would like to create multilingual WordPress websites in order to enable people from different parts of the world to use the created websites easily. In fact, the information on a multilingual WordPress website is can be translated into multiple languages and these actually make such websites user-friendly. So, in this article I’m going to show you the different ways of creating a multilingual WordPress website so that you can be able to translate your WordPress pages, posts, tags and categories into various languages easily.
RELATED POST: How to Make a Website From Scratch
Method-1: How to Use Google Translate to create a Multilingual Website in WordPress: (Google Language Translator plugin).
Adding human translators into your website can definitely create a better user experience. However, if you don’t have the enough time or resources to make your website fully multilingual then you may consider trying out the “Google Language Translator” plugin in order to automatically translate all the content on your website as I’m going to show you in the steps below.
- Search for the “Google Language Translator” plugin: incase your WordPress website is already running and you want to make it multilingual, then start by searching for the “Google Language Translator” plugin by simply logging into your WordPress account and after go to Dashboard >> Plugins >> Add New. A new window will show-up in order to enable search and download any preferred WordPress plugin. So, just locate the search-box and then type in “Google Language Translator plugin” and after wait to see what comes up in the search-results as shown in the illustrations below.
- Install and activate the “Google Language Translator” Plugin: after making the search, a few language translators will come-up but scroll downwards and locate the “Google Language Translator” plugin. when you see this plugin, click on the “Install” button and it will get installed and afterwards click on “Activate” in order to make the Google Language Translator plugin active and ready to use within your WordPress website as seen in the images below.
Below is an illustration on how to activate your Google language translator after installing it.
- Configure Google Language Translator settings: after installing and activating this plugin, you will need to configure it by simply going to Dashboard >> Settings >> Google Language Translator. In fact, after accessing the settings you will be able to select different languages with Google translate and even remove the Google branding from the translation section. All in all, the Google Language Translator is a highly customizable plugin and all you need to do is going through the settings in order to configure it as you like.
- Afterwards, check the box that corresponds to “plugin status” and then select your website default language and the languages you want to be available for translation then click on “Save changes” in order to save-up your settings. Below are some of the illustrations that will guide you through the configuration process of this plugin.
- Go to widgets add the “Google Language Translator” widget to the blog’s sidebar: after you have saved the settings of your Google Language Translator plugin, go to Dashboard >> Appearance >> Widgets and then drag and drop the Google Language Translator widget into your blog’s sidebar. Afterwards, save your translator widget and then preview changes on your website in order to make sure that the “Google Language Translator” widget is working properly. So, below are some of the illustrations that will help you go through this process easily.
Step-3: I have dragged and dropped my Google Language Translator widget to the “Right Sidebar Top” area as shown in image below.
- Preview the created widget on your website: after saving your Google Language Translator widget, go to your website and see how it works. In fact, the Google Language Translator plugin will allow your website users to read translated information in any type of language selected as shown in the illustrations below.
Below is an example of my website page that has been translated to “French” but the user can actually select form a wide-range of languages listed in a drop-down list that appears after pressing on “Select Language”.
Below is an illustration showing where you need to click in order to revert your website to the original language. In fact, you just need to click on the “Show original” button that is located on the menu-bar that appears over the website during the translation-process. Additionally, in this menu-bar there is also an option that allows you select a different language to translate to without going back to the sidebar-widget.
Note: the “Google Language Translator” plugin will work perfectly for people who create websites that can be used internationally or in different countries. In fact, we live in a diverse world with different kinds of people speaking different languages and the only way to make different people read the content on your website is by integrating the “Google Language Translator” plugin which is actually free of charge.