The PHILIPS NORELCO 1255XTR/45 electric-shaver gives the most advanced shave yet and this due to…
Philips Norelco SensoTouch 3D Review – 1250X, 1280x, 1290X, 1255XTR
Philips has been making electric shavers for quite some time. I have been reviewing most of their shavers but Norelco SensoTouch 3D shavers seem to be the most popular Norelco shavers ever made. These shavers are grouped in series but you might get confused if I was to put series 8000, 8100 and 8800 on a desk and ask you to tell a difference. It is quite funny because these 3 models look alike but in this post, I will dig deep into each shaver’s features and see what really makes them different. But before we go ahead with this detailed review, let’s have a quick look at Philips Norelco SensoTouch 3D’s chart, this will clearly explain everything, so you might not need to go through the hassle of reading a long tail review. In this product chart, I have featured the following shavers; Norelco 1250X/46 , 1250X/42, 1280X, 1255xtr/45 , 1260x and 1290X .
COMPARISON CHART (SENSOTOUCH 3D)[cs_table id=”4″]
This chart makes everything simple & clear and it shows how grooming companies rob our money. The comparison chart on Amazon is not as clear as this one. What Philips did was to categories these shavers in form of series but they didn’t specify which shaver belongs to which serie in their chart. So as a new user, you can easily get confused by the all series phenomenon, yet the difference between these shavers is too small.
- Minutes per 1 hour charge: – All models charge fully within 1 hour, however, 1290X/46 will give you 60 minutes of nonstop shaving yet the other models will give you only 50 minutes. Basically there is a difference of 10 minutes. It is an added advantage which makes it the best electric shaver for travelers.
- Cleaning System: – After shaving, the last thing you need to hassle with is cleaning that electric shaver. Norelco 1250X/42 and 1280X/42 have automatic cleaning systems which help you clean the shaver after use so you don’t have to be bothered by manual cleaning. On the other hand, 1250X/46 and 1290X/46 don’t have auto cleaning systems, but they’re 100% waterproof, so you can clean them via running tap water. However, you will also need to use a shaver cleaning brush to remove clogged hair / cream on the shavers head.
- Price: – Norelco 1250X/46 and 1290X/46 are affordable electric shavers, I’m sure they fit in everyone’s budget. However, 1250X/42 and 1280X/42 are a little bit expensive and the main reason why they cost more than the other two shavers is because they have an automatic cleaning system.
- Full Numeric Display: – All models have LCD displays which notify you about shaver’s battery status, however, Norelco 1290X/46 has a full numeric display which is very easy to read. This feature makes 1290X/46 ideal for beginners because data is well displayed.
- Power save mode:- When it comes to saving power and shaving for a longer time, Norelco SensoTouch 3D 1290X/46 takes the prize. This shaver can offer you with 60 minutes of nonstop shaving; that is is it is fully charged for 1 hour. However, that is not enough; you can still use a power save mode feature to save more power. If you’re a traveler, 1290X/46 is the best shaver I can recommend to you. The other 3 models will offer you with 50 minutes of nonstop shaving on a 1 hour charge but you can’t save power. 1290x/46 also has an auto travel lock to ensure the shaver does not turn on by its self when you’re travelling.
I will put my money on Norelco 1290X/46 (series 8800) because it has two basic features which seem relevant to me. I will not vote for (series 8000) because I can do without a cleaning system. 1290x/46 can work for 60 minutes on a 1 hour charge and at the same time I can use a power save mode to save power for later use.
DETAILED REVIEW OF THE BEST PHILIPS NORELCO SENSOTOUCH 3D SHAVERS:
Now that we have seen differences between all these 3D SensoTouch Norelco shavers, I want us to go through some features / pros & cons of each model.
1.Philips Norelco 1250X/46 (Series 8100)
Performance:- NOTE: ( This shaver has been discontinued by the manufacturer, so once available units are sold out, it will run out of stock and it will never come back on the market, if you have interest, I suggest you buy one while stock lasts). In terms of performance, 1250X/46 (Series 8100) has managed to score 4.2 out of 5. In simple math, that is 92% customer satisfaction. It is a very simple and unique electric shaver and its price is really good compared to other Norelco SensoTouch 3D electric shavers. Both Frustration-Free Packaging and Standard Packaging come at the same price. It uses a Gyroflex 3D contour-following system which enables the shaver to pivot easily and follow your facial contours.
- Wet & dry:- You can shave with wet / dry option. Men with sensitive skins, you do well l with wet shaving. So I suggest you leather up with a very nice shaving cream and let it sit on your beards for a few minutes before shaving. On the other hand, those who do well with dry shaving, simply charge the shaver well, clean your face and dry it well. Washing your face before shaving softens those beards and makes it very easy to dry shave.
- Quick charge time:- Much as it is an ordinary 3D SensoTouch shaver. It charges fully within 1 hour and at the same time you can get a quick charge for a 1 hour shave. But I argue you not to opt for those small quick charges all the time, do it for emergency purposes only because you might end up reducing on the life span of your shaver’s battery. Remember, these batteries are not replaceable.
- Close shave on your neck & Jaw line:- The head of 1250X/46 Shaver 8100 is sleek and it features rotating blades. The head has a triangular shape which enables the shaver reach all problematic areas like the neck & jaw line. Since it’s a 3D shaver, no hair/ beard will be left on your neck.
- Durable: – At the glance, the shaver looks pretty and it has a very good shape. But it’s also durable. You can own this shaver for more than 2 years and it will still perform the same way. May be you might need to replace blades after 12 – 14 months but the battery will still perform well. However, the only way you can keep your electric shaver’s battery efficient is by charging it fully before usage. If you practice quick charges, you might end up damaging the battery. A fully charged battery can take you for 5 – 6 days. That means on average you should charge your electric shaver 3 – 4 times in a month and 36 – 48 times a year.
- Affordable: – If I compare it to other Norelco 3D SensoTouch shavers, 1250X is affordable. Remember this model is no longer produced by the manufacturer, so once it’s out of stock; you will be left with a few options. I suggest if you can afford it now, buy it and save yourself from regrets at a later stage. This is a great shaver, good value for money.
- Easy to clean:- Philips Norelco 1250X/46 does not come with an automated cleaning system, but you can clean it with tap water and a brush. It is 100% waterproof so don’t worry about immersing it under water. But make sure the shaver is dry before storing. Leaving water on blades and shavers head might lead to damages.
- High Quality shave: – I can’t say that you will get a real close shave because that is not something easy to archive with an electric shaver, but you will get a clean close shave. 1250x has ultra track heads which cover 50% more skin surface and this guarantees you with a quick high quality shave. If I compare the performance of Norelco 1250x with Braun Series 7; 1250X shaves much faster than Braun series 7 though the rotating heads are not that comfortable as a foil shaver, but all in all, you will love the end results.
- Daily manual cleaning: – This model does not come with automatic cleaning system, so basically you need to clean it manually using a brush, soap & water.This has to be done every time you shave. It is quite tiresome because you can’t store this shaver when it’s dirty / clogged.
- It uses a charging stand to charge instead of plugging it directly into power: – Using that charging stand might look cool but travelling with it is a nightmare. It would have been better if the shaver’s cord could be plugged directly into power.
2.Philips Norelco 1250X/42 SensoTouch 3D(Series 8000)
PERFORMANCE:- Please note:- Before we go ahead with this shavers performance, I want to remind you that Model number 1250cc/42 is the same as Model Number 1250x/42, so don’t get confused when shopping for the right SensoTouch 3D Norelco shaver. The performance of this shaver is not bad; actually it is better rated than 1250X/46. It belongs to Series 8000 and it comes with a standard packaging. So far it has scored a rating of 4.3 out of 5 and that is almost 93% customer satisfaction. I don’t make up these ratings myself, but I base on what real customers who have bought this shaver via Amazon. If you have doubts about my ratings / percentages, you can click on the ”Amazon discount link” featured in this post and verify ratings.
In terms of design, I have to say that 1250x/46 looks better than 1250x/42. At a glance they both have the same shape, but 1259x/46 is well polished and it looks better in black.
- Easy-to-hold: – The ergonomic shape of 3D Norelco shavers makes them easy to hold and use for longer hours. If I compare this shavers shape to that of a Panasonic shaver, I feel like never to shave with Panasonic shavers any more, tough they also have some unique features. The head is not too big and this makes the shaver light and easy to tilt to any direction of your choice.
- Comfortable Shaving (Wet & Dry):- You can easily shave in any way you want. There’s no restriction on how to shave. Choose between wet / dry and get a real close shave. Men with thick / dense beards, this shaver will ride through that dense beard like a mowing machine. Nothing can stop it from clearing that dense beard. So if you have been looking for a Norelco shaver for thick / dense beards. Look no further, 1250X/42 will sort you out in a few minutes.
- Skin friendly: – If this is your first time to use a rotary shaver, your skin will react but after some time,. it will get used to the shaver and you will see no more reactions or irritations. Norelco gives you a 45 money back guarantee on this shaver.
- Jet cleaning system: – This is the only feature which makes 1250X/42 different from 1250X/46. A jet clean system will clean the shaver very well, kill germs, lubricate the blades and at the same time charge the shaver. It uses a special cleaning solution which costs money, so if you don’t want to spend money on maintenance, use the Jet cleaner less often. This shaver has an hygiene indicator which beeps when the shaver is dirty. If this beeper does not show up, clean the shaver with running water / soap & a brush.
- SensoTouch Click-on Beard Styler:- You can turn your 1250X/42 electric shaver into a beard trimmer. All you need to do is to attach a Click-On styler trimmer on the shaver. This accessory goes where the shaver’s head sits, so you have to detach the head and fix this click-on beard styler on the shaver and start grooming your beard. This is a very nice accessory because it performs better than a pop-beard trimmer.
- Lift and Cut technology:- Beards grow to different directions and some of them lay flat making it very difficult to shave with an electric razor. However, Norelco 1250x/42 SensoTouch 3D shaver features a Lift and Cut technology which lifts all flat-laying beards / hair and expose them to rotating blades for cutting hence offer you with a clean close shave. You will not feel any skin irritation or pulling when this Lift & Cut feature is in action.
- Not good with longer hairs: – I guess this is a common problem with Norelco shavers (rotary shavers). Since they shave in a circular motion, they don’t do well on long hair.
- Battery is not replaceable: – By default all electric shavers (rotary / foil) have non replaceable batteries. Once the battery dies out, you have to buy a new shaver.
3.Philips Norelco 1280X/42 (Series 8000)
Performance: – Both Norelco 1280X/42 and 1250X/42 belong to the same category (series 8000) so the possibility of finding them with the same features is high. They also share the same customer rating of 4.2 / 5 which is almost 92% customer satisfaction. I’m a little bit confused by these two shavers, is there anything different other than price because even when I zoom their pictures they look exactly the same. On some websites, they call 1280X/42 as SensoTouch 3D 1280XCC. This should not confuse you, it is the same electric shaver.
- Offers a great shave:- Without doubt, you will get a real close shave, almost as close as that of a razor blade. Norelco 1280X/47 features UltraTrack heads which capture beards / hair for easy cutting. And at the same time it also uses a Lift & cut technology to lift flat-laying hair / beards and exposes them to circular cutting blades hence living you with a very close painless smooth shave.
- Skin friendly:- GyroFlex 3D contour following heads which adjust automatically to each and every facial contour. This reduces on the pressure you would have used while shaving and at the same time it saves your skin from irritations, as if that is not enough; 1280X/47 has a skin glide shaving surface which maneuvers over your skin smoothly. When using this shaver, it will feel like you’re getting a facial massage.
- Very quiet: – Since electric shavers have fast motor drives which determine the efficiency of blades, noise can be produced during the shaving process and it can be irritating. Some rotary shavers make too much noise in that you can tell that a person is shaving even when the bathroom’s door is closed. A silent electric shaver like 1280X/47 is fun to use, you won’t get tired of shaving with it and it will not interrupt other people in the house.
- Less skin irritation:- This is caused by the Skin Glide feature which reduces on friction between the surface of the shaver and your skin. The shaver will move smoothly on your skin and its flexible heads will adjust automatically to each contour.
- Easier use & to hold:- This is a cordless Norelco shaver, so you can use it from anywhere. All you need to do is to charge it fully so that you get a 50 minutes non-stop cordless shaving. It also has an ergonomic design which makes it easy to hold. If you want to groom your beard / mustache…you can use a built-in pop-up trimmer.
- Jet clean system: – You don’t have to bother your self with cleaning this shaver manually. All you have to do is to put it in its Jet clean system, and let it get cleaned, lubricated and charged automatically. Manual cleaning is a hassle, it wastes too much of your time.
- Touch Screen display:- If you love tapping, then 1280X/47 is here for you. It has a touch screen display which makes it easy to navigate through data and it also displays data in an amazing way. I guess this is what makes 1280X/47 different from 1250x/42.
- Charge stand: – This is a pro and con at the same time. People who love premium products will fall for this nice looking charge stand. You don’t have to plug the shaver directly into power, it uses a special charge stand and this protects it from falling down. The dark side of this charge stand is that you have to pack it every time you’re moving and it seems to be bulky.
- Wet & Dry:- By default, all Norelco SensoTouch 3D shavers are wet & dry shavers. This Series 8000 shavers is 100% waterproof, you can apply gel on your beards and start shaving. Wet shaving is a great option for men with sensitive skins. On the other hand, Men with normal skins, you can opt for dry shaving. The razor has smooth shaving heads so you will not feel any irritation.
- Jet clean system is expensive to use:- Much as I love the Jet clean system, its cartridge and cleaning solution are expensive. They might not cost that much on each purchase, but they get used up so fast. In that you have to keep on buying new cartridge and cleaning solution which is costly. I know this is a business model for Philips, after buying an electric shaver; they have to get money from you throughout the year. But still I can use water & soap to clean the shaver.
- Can’t plug the shaver directly into the wall:- This shaver can only be charged via its charging stand. The stand has a nice design and it sits comfortably on the sink, however, when you’re travelling, you might find this stand bulky and not easy to use.
4.Philips Norelco 1290X/46 Shaver 8800
Performance: Before we go any further with this review, I want to inform you that this product has been discontinued by the manufacturer. However, a few units are still available on Amazon and I argue you to get one while stock lasts. This is one of the best Philips Norelco SensoTouch 3D shaver on the market. I wonder why they have stopped producing it. 1290X/46 shaver has scored 4.2 out of 5 customers rating on Amazon; this is almost 92% customer satisfaction. It is a great shaver and statistics has proved it right. However, it does not come with a Jet clean system but it is 100% waterproof so you can clean it manually using tap water & soap.
- Flexible UltracTrack shaving heads: – You will enjoy using this shaver because its shaving heads can pivot to any direction. Some problematic areas like the neck and jaw line require a shaver with a flexible sleek head and this 1290x/46 fits in that category. The Ultra Track heads capture hair in just a few strokes and leave you with a smooth clean shave.
- Quality construction: – When it comes to shaver design, no grooming company out competes Philips Norelco. Braun has also mastered this design concept but Norelco is still the best. The head of this Philips Norelco SensoTouch 3D – Shaver 8800 covers a big surface area, so it will offer you with a quick close shave. The ergonomic design makes it easy to hold and shave for long hours. The shaver is well balanced and not heavy like most electric shavers we have on the market.
- Closer shave:- Norelco 1290X/46 has a Lift & Cut feature which deals with beards which grow to different directions and those which lay-flat on the skin. I can’t compare 1290x/46’s results to that of a safety razor, but it offers 94% close shave. Some stumble will be left on the skin, but it will be even and smooth. The Lift & Cut feature lifts up hair and exposes it to blades for shaving.
- Motion Display:- The main use of this motion display is to show you battery status. You will be in position to know when the battery is low and when it is fully charged. I advise you to use the shaver until when the battery level is 10%. Don’t wait for the shaver to get to 1 or 0% to charge it. If you do this all the time, the battery will get drained and die within a few months. Remember this shaver’s battery is not replaceable so you might end up spending more than $100 to get a new Philips Norelco SensoTouch 3D shaver.
- Efficient beard trimmer:- The pop-trimmer is very easy to use. It is found at the back of the shaver, next to the head. Switch on the lock and the pop-trimmer will get out. Tilt the shaver and start trimming / grooming your goatee / side-burn or mustache.
- Durable:- 1290x/46 is a durable SensoTouch 3D shaver, you can use it for more than 2 years and it will still perform well. But you have to replace blades at least once in a year. This will guarantee you with a clean close shave throughout the year. For the sake of the battery, it will last for years if you don’t over strain the shaver with quick small charges or over draining it while shaving.
- Can’t be used with a Cord:- I guess this is a common problem with all Philips Norelco SensoTouch 3D shavers. They use charge stands and can’t be plugged directly into power. This might look like a cool feature, but that shaver stand needs a flat surface.
5.Philips Norelco 1255xtr/45 SensoTouch 3d Electric Shaver
Performance: – I’m sure this is the best Philips Norelco SensoTouch 3D shaver you will ever own in your life. 1255XTR/45 comes with an independent travel shaver plus a case. So when you buy 1255XTR/45 you also get a travel shaver for free. This model does not come with a Jet clean system but I will vote for it because of that extra travel shaver. At least that accessory makes a good deal. In terms of customer rating, it has scored 4.3 out of 5 stars which is almost 93% customer satisfaction.
- Gyroflex 3D System: – When it comes to getting a close shave, you need to use an advanced electric shaver which adjusts automatically according to your facial contours. By default, our faces have different contours, so if you use a non premium electric shaver which can’t adjust to these contour differences, you don’t get a close shave. On the other hand, 1255XTR/45 SENSOTOUCH 3D Electric Shaver features a Gyroflex 3D system which adjusts seamlessly to every curve of your face.
- Aquatec wet & dry: – You have the chance to shave in any way want. Men with very sensitive skins, you can apply gel / shaving cream on your beards until they become soft and easy to shave. 1255XTR/45 works very well with most shaving creams / gel. Wet shaving saves you from getting bumps and ingrown hairs.
- Ultra-track heads: – 1255XTR/45’s Ultra Track system has three types of cutting grooves. One slot is for cutting long hair, the other deals with short hair and shortest stubble. So by all means you will get a close shave.
- Excellent Close Shave: – You can use this shaver on your head, face and chest and get a super close shave. It has a lift & cut technology which deals with flat-lying hair hence living you with a clean close shave.
- 1 COMPARISON CHART (SENSOTOUCH 3D)
- 2 DIFFERENCES:
- 3 DETAILED REVIEW OF THE BEST PHILIPS NORELCO SENSOTOUCH 3D SHAVERS:
- 4 1.Philips Norelco 1250X/46 (Series 8100)
- 5 2.Philips Norelco 1250X/42 SensoTouch 3D(Series 8000)
- 6 3.Philips Norelco 1280X/42 (Series 8000)
- 7 4.Philips Norelco 1290X/46 Shaver 8800
- 8 5.Philips Norelco 1255xtr/45 SensoTouch 3d Electric Shaver
- 9 Related Posts