The Role And Importance Of Wireless Communication In Organizations
The development of wireless communication has greatly changed the way organizations operate today whereby they can now do their work efficiently and effectively than never before. In fact, with the use of advanced cell-phones and other devices with wireless-connectivity, you can easily send text-messages, photos and files quickly thus leading to improved communication and efficiency at the workplace without incurring significant cost. So, below are some of the advantages of using wireless communication in an organization today:
Roles and importance’s of wireless communication in organizations:
- Improved Communication: The greatest effect of wireless communication in the workplace is the ability to reach employees anywhere at any time leading to improved communication. However, the constant availability of wireless-connectivity can also be a distraction during work-hours and an unwelcome intrusion during personal time.
- Increased Mobility and Collaboration: Today, employees are no-longer chained to their workstation because wireless connectivity enables them to move around the office and go to different floors without losing their connection to the company’s network. In fact, with wireless-technology everyone can access critical business information and applications across the network at anytime and from any device.
- Improved sharing of information at the workplace: Wireless-networks have also greatly improved the ability of workers to share information whether inside or outside their offices. For example, a mechanic can use a tablet to wirelessly access repair manuals for a difficult job, an architect can transmit an image of plan updates to a client in moments and a lawyer can easily preview the wording of an important document on his Smartphone before having his staff print and send it.
- Improved Responsiveness and Information Access: With wireless technology, the staff can connect to the information they need in a matter of seconds resulting into faster response time and an increase in efficiency. In fact, wireless-connectivity eliminates the need to move between desks and workstations to access information and it also allows for connection of different portable devices in order to improve responsiveness. So, the resulting convenience and productivity translates into business progress and employee satisfaction. Lastly, wireless communication also allows for connectivity across areas that are hardly accessible for any cable-network.
- Easy setup and maintenance of organization network hardware: Wireless-technology has also made it much easier for Information Technology departments to install and maintain hardware in large organizations. In fact, wireless networking is much easier to configure whereby it simply requires configured routers and repeaters placed in different locations in-order to extend the signal throughout the office. Additionally, wireless networks are also easy to access as long as you have the password in-order to allow you use any portable-device to make any necessary configurations and setup.
- Scalability and Flexibility: With wireless-technology, new employees can be easily added to the organizations network since there are no cables or wires involved like in the past. Additionally, wireless-technology allows employees to move desks easily across their workplace without worrying about any network-cables or without the company facing any additional network-costs.
- It has greatly influenced business logistics: Wireless technology has also influenced business logistics through the use of Radio Frequency Identification (RFID). In fact, RFID-technology uses small tags to track items while barcode-codes technology helps to record information about a product. However, RFID-technology allows companies to scan multiple items at once wirelessly, doesn’t require a line-of-sight and can store more information than other identification methods.
- It’s very reliable: Because a wired connection is physical, it can easily sustain damage from cybercriminals or even get destroyed by fires while wireless-networks cannot. In fact, wireless connection is invisible and this actually gives it enough protection against attacks compared to wired networks.
- Great network speed: For most small to medium-sized businesses with a wireless-network, the lowest for a wireless-network is still fast enough for what they need. So, when it comes down to choosing between wired and wireless networking from a speed angle, then its recommended to go with a wireless-network because its much faster than wired networks.
- Its cost Effecting (saving): Deploying a wireless-network within an organization can cost up to 50 percent less than a wired connection. For example, instead of connecting the office-building with fiber optics consider using wireless bridges because this can save you a lot of money. Additionally, if a company is renting space for a short period of time (1-3 years) then it should consider setting-up a wireless-network because it’s convenient, reliable and cheaper than wired-networks.
- It has Enabled BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) within companies: Wireless-technology has also enabled and facilitated for the Bring Your Own Device phenomenon that most businesses are now taking advantage of. For example, Laptops, Tablets and Smartphones that belong to individual employees are now being brought into workplaces and being given access to the wireless network hence making it more convenient for employees to carry out their tasks.