Tips On How To Cut Grass
People with homes probably have a yard somewhere that should be mowed at some point. However, lawn-mowing is not an easy task but it can become progressively easy each time you do it. On the other hand, there are several types of mowing-machines on the market ranging from push lawn-mowers, self-propelled lawn-mowers to riding lawn-mowers and it’s actually upon you to choose a lawn-mower that works best for you depending on the size of your yard/compound. In fact, using a lawn-mower makes mowing your yard much easier and effective without getting tired and that that’s why I have provided you with some of the basic steps and instructions on how to mow your lawn:
Steps on how cut grass from your lawn using a lawn-mower:
- Put on proper protective gear and clothes: before you begin mowing, you will need to first put on appropriate protective clothing and gear which includes long-pants, a hat and sunglasses inorder to protect your body form any injuries when mowing. You may even consider listening to music while mowing inorder to protect your ears from the loud-sound of an operating lawn-mower.
- Prepare your lawn-mower: this involves moving the lawn-mower to an open place or lawn that is free of any obstacles like sticks, stones, toys and other items that may affect the performance of the lawn-mower while mowing.
- Check the oil and gasoline levels: before you start-up a lawn-mower, you will to check its oil-levels using a dipstick inorder to ensure that it’s at an appropriate level and if not, then you will have to fill the lawn-mower with enough oil so that it can perform effectively. On the other hand, you also need to check if the lawn-mower is filled with enough gasoline and if not then consider filling the fuel-tank with enough gasoline.
- Wear ear-protection gadgets: its recommended to put on ear-protection gear when mowing but avoid listening to music while operating a lawn-mower because this can be dangerous to your ears and you may not even hear anything if something went wrong while mowing.
- Clean-up your yard: this will involve picking-up any big-sticks, toys, rocks and other types of debris inorder to enable the lawn-mower to perform the mowing easily and quickly. in fact, cleaning-up the yard before mowing is also very essential if you own a bagging-lawn-mower and even clean yard prevent the lawn-mower’s blades from getting damaged while mowing.
- Pull-out any weeds from your lawn: a lawn with overgrown-grass will actually have some weeds and these actually hinder optimum performance of a lawn-mower. So, always pull-out any overgrown weeds form your lawn before you begin mowing inorder to achieve effective results. However, if you own a powerful lawn with a large cutting-blade then you may consider trimming the weeds along with the grass because such a lawn-mower will perform optimally even on a lawn full of weeds.
- Edge grass-perimeters: you will actually need to create perimeters by edging-out grass in your yard/lawn. This will actually help you achieve a more consistent and uniform lawn without any missing patches. Additionally, making perimeters helps the user to easily manage their lawn while mowing so that all parts of the yard/compound are trimmed well.
- Power-up the lawn-mower: most electric or fuel-powered lawn-mowers are equipped with either a push-button or pull-cord mechanism for startup. However, you should consider the user-manual that comes with your lawn-mower inorder to get the basic steps on how to start its engine. On the other hand, some push lawn-mowers are manual and don’t have a start-button or pull-cord while riding lawn-mowers feature a key and starter-system. So, the type of lawn-mower you own will determine how it starts-up depending on powering system.
- Begin cutting grass: after powering-on your lawn-mower, start mowing while ensuring that the line between the cut and uncut grass remains under the lawn-mowers far-wheel section. Continue moving along the entire perimeter until the whole yard is cleaned-up. Additionally, cut grass in opposing lines by mowing up in one-direction and then reverse against that direction until the entire yard is cleaned-up. This is actually referred to as a zigzag pattern and it actually prevents graining while mowing.
- Check the grass-collector gradually: you will actually need to checkout the grass-collector from time-to-time inorder to see if it’s full. If you notice that the grass-bag is filled with clippings, empty it on a suitable garden dump or heap.
- Turn-off the lawn-mower after mowing: after mowing the entire yard/lawn to a desired level, turn-off the lawn-mower and then check if there are any patches left behind. If there are no patches left behind in the lawn while mowing then consider cleaning-up your lawn-mower and then place it in an appropriate storage-area like a garage or basement. On the other hand, if you notice any patches left behind as you were mowing then consider powering-up your lawn-mower again to remove all these patches inorder to keep your yard looking neat and uniform throughout.
Tips to consider when cutting grass form your yard/lawn:
- Set the lawn-mower at the highest-setting if your lawn has over-grown grass because if you set your lawn-mower to a low-setting on overgrown-grass then it may fail or even stop when under operation. Additionally, the highest-setting should be used to trim the grass in your lawn during dry-seasons inorder to keep your yard looking healthy even under the harsh dry-conditions.
- Always mow in different directions every-time in order to prevent grass from wearing-out. So, you can decide to cut grass horizontally for one-week, vertically for the next week and then diagonally the other week inorder to keep your lawn looking healthy and neat at all times.
- You can actually mow at any time of the day but avoid mowing at night because darkness can make trimming grass difficult and you may even get more injuries while mowing. However, if your lawn-mower is equipped with headlights then it’s ok for you mow at night but you should try to be very careful if you wish to achieve a neat and uniform lawn.
- Be extra-careful when mowing around trees because the deck of a lawn-mower features very sharp blades that can cause great damage to trees if brought against the base or roots.