When you install WordPress onto your new domain-name, the first thing you will need to…
How to Upload PDF Files to Your WordPress Site – Short Course
If you have a WordPress website/blog and you really want to upload some PDF-files into your posts/pages, then WordPress will allow you to easily those files and even make them available for download. So, in this article I’m going to provide you with different methods on how to upload PDF-files into your WordPress website/blog without stressing yourself:
METHOD-1: How to upload PDF-files into WordPress posts/pages without using a plugin:
This method of uploading PDF-files is actually very simple and even works well without installing any plugins on your WordPress website/blog. So, below are some of the steps you need to follow when uploading PDF-Files into your posts or pages while using this method.
- Open-up a new post or edit an existing post/page: you will need to first open-up a new post/page or even edit an existing post/page where you want to upload the PDF-file. So, for my case I will open-up a new post by simply going to the Dashboard >> Posts >> Add New as shown in the illustration below.
- Click on “Add Media” button: after creating your new-post, click on the “Add Media” button which will actually bring-up a media-uploader popup as shown in the illustrations below;
Below is an illustration of the media-uploader and where to press in order to select your Pdf-file;
- Select the PDF-file to upload: after opening-up the media-uploader, click on “Select Files” button which will take you to your computer where you will locate and select the PDF-file to upload. click on “Open” and your PDF-file will be uploaded into WordPress as shown in the illustrations below;
Below is an illustration of the PDF-file being added to the media-library of WordPress? In fact, you will notice a thumbnail-preview of the uploaded PDF-File on the right-hand column. So, you will need to provide a title, caption and a simple description for your PDF-file from the section.
Note: you can even select how you want the PDF-file to be linked and by default the PDF-file is linked to itself but you can change the link to an attachment-page which will be showing just the PDF thumbnail-preview of the first-page of the PDF-file.
- Click on the “Insert into post” button: after making all the necessary editing on your PDF-file, click on the “Insert into post” button and the media-uploader will disappear. afterwards you will see the PDF-File download link added into your post-editor as shown in the illustrations below;
Below is an illustration of the PDF-file after being added to your post. In fact, you may continue editing your post and afterwards publish it to see how the PDF-file is working.
- Preview your published post: you will now have to preview your published post to check whether the PDF-file link is working properly. So, below is a live preview of the inserted PDF-file into a post.
Below is an illustration of what happens after clicking on the PDF-file; in fact, the PDF-file will be opened-up within your browser so that you can be able to read whatever written inside but you be able to download it.
MEHTOD-2: How to upload and embed a PDF-File into wordpress using the “Google Doc Embedder” plugin:
The “Google Doc Embedder” plugin actually allows you to display PDF-files inside your WordPress posts/pages and you can even use this plugin to download the PDF-file. So below are some of the features of the Google Doc Embedder plugin.
Features of the Google Doc Embedder plugin:
- Supports embedding of several file-types: the Google Doc Embedder lets embed several types of files into your WordPress posts/pages directly without installing other software’s. Some of the file-types you can embed into your into your posts/pages using this plugin include; Adobe Acrobat (PDF), Microsoft Word (DOC/DOCX*), Microsoft PowerPoint (PPT/PPTX*), Microsoft Excel (XLS/XLSX*), TIFF Images (TIF, TIFF), Apple Pages (PAGES), Adobe Illustrator (AI), Adobe Photoshop (PSD), Archive Files (ZIP/RAR) and a lot more.
- It Supports online viewing and downloading of documents: the Google Doc viewer function allows for online viewing and optional-downloading of a wide-range of file-types that have been embedded into your posts/pages without requiring Flash or PDF browser plugins.
- Mobile friendly: the Google Doc Embedder plugin is also mobile-friendly whereby it facilitates for easy viewing of PDF-Files and other file-formats on your mobile-device.
Installation and Customization of the “Google Doc Embedder” plugin:
- Search for the “Google Doc Embedder” plugin: the first thing you will need to-do is going to the Dashboard >> Plugins >> Add New and after search for “Google Doc Embedder” plugin using the search-box on the upper right-hand section as shown in the illustration below.
- Install and activate the “Google Doc Embedder” plugin: after locating the Google Doc Embedder plugin, click on the “Install Now” button to begin the installation-process and then click on the “Activate” button to make this plugin active as shown in the illustrations below.
- Configure the plugin settings after activation: after activating the Google Doc Embedder plugin, you will need to go the Dashboard >> Settings >> GDE-Settings and a new-page will open-up enabling you to configure the plugin-settings as shown in the illustration below;
Note: under configuration-settings, you will mostly need to specify the language, height and width settings of the Embedder and a few other settings. However, the default-settings will work perfectly for most websites but you can change them if you like.
- Open-up a new post/page or even existing post/page: after configuring your plugin, you will now have to open-up a new or existing post/page where you would like to embed the PDF-file. So, go-to the Dashboard >> Posts >> Add New as shown in the illustration below.
- Click on “Add Media” to upload PDF-file: after opening your post or page, click on the “Add Media” button in order to upload your PDF-file. however, after uploading the PDF-File just copy the file-URL and then close the media-uploader without clicking on “Insert into Post” as shown in the illustration below;
- Click on the Google Docs Embedder icon to embed the PDF-file: after coping the PDF-file link and closing the media-uploader window, click on the Google Docs Embedder icon in the post-editor and then a new window will pop-up where you will have to paste the PDF-file URL you copied earlier and afterwards click on the “Insert” button in order to insert the PDF-file as shown in the illustrations below;
Afterwards, click on the “Insert” button and a simple short-code will be added into your post. Click on “Publish” and your post will be published with an active PDF-file link.
- 1 METHOD-1: How to upload PDF-files into WordPress posts/pages without using a plugin:
- 2 MEHTOD-2: How to upload and embed a PDF-File into wordpress using the “Google Doc Embedder” plugin:
- 3 Features of the Google Doc Embedder plugin:
- 4 Installation and Customization of the “Google Doc Embedder” plugin:
- 5 Related Posts