The Philips Sonicare FlexCare Platinum is an advanced rechargeable electric toothbrush that utilizes patented Sonic-technology…
Electric Toothbrush Vs Manual Toothbrush
I’m sure many people get confused by these two toothbrushes (Manual & Electric). One of them has to be better but at the same time one of them is cheaper and easy to use. In this article I will compare both Electric Toothbrushes & Manual Toothbrushes and see who wins this comparison.
However, the truth is that it’s essential to brush your teeth daily whether you’re using a manual toothbrush or an electric toothbrush. In fact, with both options you have to ensure that you complete a thorough 2-minute brushing-time for at least twice every day. So it does not matter which type of toothbrush you have chosen to use because it’s the brushing itself that counts. Let us look at some of the pros and cons of both Electric Toothbrush & Manual Toothbrush
RELATED POST:- What Is The Best Electric Toothbrush
WHAT IS AN ELECTRIC TOOTHBRUSH:
A rechargeable electric toothbrush is a type of toothbrush that you can plug into the wall to recharge and with this kind of toothbrush you have keep the handle and only replace the brush-head every 3-months. However, rechargeable electric toothbrushes differ in terms of the cleaning technology they use like; 3D cleaning-action or sonic technology. Additionally, electric-toothbrushes are also referred to as power-toothbrushes and below are some of their pros and cons:
PROS OF AN ELECTRIC TOOTHBRUSH:
- Easy usage: a powered toothbrush is actually very easy to use whereby you just need to place this toothbrush at 45-degree angle and then let it do all the brushing. This is actually an added advantage that can be found on any manual toothbrush.
- Less work but better results: scientific studies have proven that electric toothbrushes actually do a better job when it comes to cleaning the mouth by removing plaque and gingivitis. In fact, someone will use lees energy to make teeth clean compared to a manual toothbrush.
- Fun to use: powered toothbrushes are actually more fun to use especially for children. this is mainly because kids like to take the easy way out on any task and in case you child does not want to brush his/her teeth, then try to get him/her an electric toothbrush because it requires less work, tickles their teeth and even has a timer that will let them know that they have finished brushing. All in all, an electric-toothbrush is a lot easier to use and offers more fun compared to a manual toothbrush.
- Built-in timer: electric toothbrushes have a built-in timer which stops the toothbrush immediately when the 2-minutes of brushing are up. This implies that you will not have to guess when to stop brushing like with a manual toothbrush.
CONS OF AN ELECTRIC TOOTHBRUSH:
- They require charging: a powered toothbrush actually needs to be recharged or replace its batteries and this is not good for some people who are used to manual toothbrushes because they don’t need charging or battery replacement.
- High cost: electric toothbrushes are more expensive than manual toothbrushes. In fact, even the replacement brush-heads of powered toothbrushes are expensive compared to any toothbrush. All in all, you should be prepared to pay more in case you’re switching from a manual to an electric toothbrush.
- Powered toothbrushes are bulky: an electric toothbrush is bulky compared to any manual toothbrush. In fact, this makes travelling with an electric toothbrush a hassle and you even have to take the charger along which is quiet inconveniencing for some people.
- Easy to damage: electric toothbrushes can easily get damaged whereby simply dropping this toothbrush can be fatal and this is not the case with manual toothbrushes because they are very durable. So, you have to be very careful whenever you’re using an electric-toothbrush to clean your mouth.
Regular manual toothbrushes are the basic oral cleaning tools most people are actually accustomed to. Most of these toothbrushes have a plastic handle with various nylon bristle designs on the brush-head. In fact, this is the most commonly used type of toothbrush and it does not even require a power-source but just the movement of your hands to thoroughly clean your mouth. However, some manual toothbrushes are equipped with advanced technologies in their brush-heads, bristles and handle designs so that the user can achieve an optimum brushing experience.
PROS OF A MANUAL TOOTHBRUSH:
- Clean teeth thoroughly: a manual toothbrush can thoroughly clean your teeth with a proper brushing technique. In fact, brushing takes only 2-minutes and with the right technique, you will keep your teeth clean and healthy while using a manual toothbrush.
- Available in multiple styles and designs: manual toothbrushes are actually available in multiple styles, brush-heads and colors hence this implies that the user has the ability to choose a toothbrush that works best in order to fulfill his/her oral needs. In fact, some brands even make special and awesome prints on toothbrushes specifically meant for children. All in all, you will never be short of options when it comes to manual toothbrushes.
- Easy to carry: manual toothbrushes are very easy to travel with compared to electric-toothbrushes. In fact, with a manual toothbrush all you need is a toothbrush case and you will be good to go for that trip.
- They don’t require electric-power: manual-toothbrushes actually don’t require charging or battery replacements in order to operate. This means that you don’t have to worry about batteries or charging-outlets while travelling with a manual toothbrush.
- Cheap: manual toothbrushes are very affordable because they have low price-tag and at-times you can get free toothbrush when you purchase toothpaste or whenever you make a trip to the dentist. However, you will need to throw away the toothbrush after using it for about 3-months for better oral-health.
CONS OF A MANUAL TOOTHBRUSH:
- It require much work: a manual toothbrush actually requires more work when brushing compared to an electric-tooth brush which rotates on its own to clean your mouth. In fact, with a manual tooth brush you will have to use more energy because of the several motions you make while brushing and this can actually be tiresome for most people.
- Manual toothbrushes are not equipped with a timer: manual toothbrushes don’t have a brushing timer like electric-toothbrushes. This implies that with a manual toothbrush you will have to guess how long the brushing session can last which not easy because you may end-up taking-up less or more brushing time than the recommended 2-minutes of brushing and this may somehow cause negative issues to your overall oral-health.