How To Create a Blog and Make Money – Free Course
# REQUIREMENTS FOR CREATING A BLOG:
- 1 Web host Account & Domain name: – Since you will be creating your blog using WordPress , you need a reliable WordPress hosting service and a domain name. I recommend Bluehost for WordPress hosting. They have reliable servers and a great support team which is available 24/7. WordPress installation process on Bluehost is so fast and easy. Get a FREE Domain name, FREE Site Builders, 1 Click WordPress Installation, 24/7 Support = all at $2.95 per month (limited time offer – so act now and grab your offer). If you don’t get along with their service and support – your investment is protected with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- 2 Keyword research tool: – Writing nice looking detailed posts on a blog does not guarantee you with massive traffic. Why? Because people use keywords to search for content – so if your content is not keyword focused, you won’t get any traffic. I use Semrush.com to find keywords with traffic. It is a very accurate keyword search tool. You can open up a free account and use a free trial option – this one gives you 10 – 15 keywords per day. A paid version of Semrush gives you unlimited keywords and their search scores per country.
- 3 Grammar & Spelling checker:- If you have Google Chrome, download and install Grammarly on Chrome – it will automatically highlight grammar & spelling mistakes as you write thus help you craft the best blog posts. If you don’t have Google chrome, simply signup for free with Grammarly and use their built-in system to correct grammar & spelling mistakes.
Free Support:- Bookmark and follow this guide as you’re creating your first blog – it has almost everything you need. If you find any problem during the process – email me for free support (sales (at) Yosaki.com).→ Click Here to Get Your Free WordPress Blog Setup! ←
How to Create a Blog and Make Money?
”Click on the links below to navigate this post easily”
- Requirements for creating a blog
- Registering A Domain Name For Your Blog
- Choosing The Right Webhosting Company
- Change Domain Name Servers (****That Is If Your Domain Is Not Registered Bluehost)
- Adding Domain Name On Bluehost (****If it was not registered with Bluehost)
- Choosing A Blogging Platform
- Install WordPress On Your Domain
- Install WordPress Plugins
- Change Permalinks
- Change Settings
- SEO – Adding ‘’Meta Title & Meta Description’’
- Choose A Free / Premium WordPress Theme
- Customize Your Theme
- Create A Logo
- Add Your First Post
- Making Full Width Posts
- Creating Categories for your posts
- Adding Images
- Adding Links (Internal & External Links)
- Adding Social Share Buttons
- Choosing A Niche (What To Write On?)
- Making Money Blogging
- Adding a blog on a Business Website (Part 2)
Let me explain each step mentioned above in detail below:
Step 1:- BLOGGING BASICS:
Blogging is fan but it requires dedication just like any other business. The time you spend blogging is largely determined by your goals.
If you want to create a personal blog which is not business oriented, you can spend 1 – 2 hours per week working on your blog.
However, those who plan to create a money making blog like YOSAKI, TECHCRUNCH, PEOPLE, BESTREVIEWS, HEAVY and so much more – you will need to invest more than 1 hour in your project.
On the other hand, if you want to create a blog as a business, you will have to invest in advertisement and content writing.
Websites like Freelancer.com, iwriter.com, Fivver.com …etc….host thousands of writers whom you can hire to create content for your blog.
Step 2:- REGISTERING A DOMAIN NAME ON BLUEHOST:
Go to -> Bluehost -> Click on Domains – Fill in your domain name -> Click Next:–
A domain name is very crucial in the blogging world. There is no way how you can reach millions of people across the globe without a web address.
A good example of a domain name is www.yosaki.com – I’m sure you accessed my blog through that short domain name – it is very easy to remember.
If you don’t have one, I suggest you get a free domain name from Bluehost.com (you will pay for its renewal in the 2nd year of your account renewal) – However, Bluehost will only give you a free domain if you pay for a hosting package for 12 months year.
When registering a new domain name for your blog, make sure it is a memorable domain. For those who want to create niche sites, your domain should clearly explain the niche of your site.
For example, if your blog is about cars, the best domain name should have the word ”Car, Automotive, Automobile, Auto”. But it should not be too long.
Step 3:- CHOOSING THE RIGHT WEBSITE HOSTING COMPANY:
Go to – Bluehost -> Hosting -> Shared hosting -> Select a Plan
[Offer was last updated – June / 21st / 2017]
After getting your domain name, the next thing will be choosing the right web-hosting company & package for your blog.
If you deal with a bad hosting company, your blog will be messed up – some companies use unreliable servers which timeout all the time and others are easily hacked so you might lose your files.
I highly recommend www.Bluehost.com . It is No.1 recommended web hosting by WordPress.org. Each account features a 1-click WordPress installation. Our readers will get a discount for a 12 months subscription, grab your offer now (limited time offer) and start installing WordPress on your domain.
REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD HOST YOUR WORDPRESS WEBSITE WITH BLUEHOST:
- 1-Click WordPress Installation.
- 24/7 trained support team. They also have a robust help center which features guides and video tutorials.
- 30 Days Money-back guarantee.
- $150 in offers – this includes advertising offers from Google, Bing and other top sites. You can use Google Adwords free credits to jump-start your blog’s traffic from day 1.
Available hosting plans as of June – 20th – 2017 : (these prices / offers are subject to changes with time)
NOTE: *Promotional pricing is for the first term only and regular rates apply upon renewal. 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee does not extend to domain names.
- Basic plan:- Is for people who intend to work on just 1 small blog. It is ideal for small niche blogs – but it comes with 1 free domain name.
- Plus plan:- Is for people who intend to create more than one blog. You can host as many WordPress blogs as you can under this plan. A person like me who develops blogs for sale on Flippa.com, this is my best choice.
- Prime plan:- This one has unlimited storage and bandwidth as the Plus plan. However, it comes with lots of extra features and these include $80/yr in extras, 1 SpanExpert, 1 Domain privacy and SiteBackup pro.
- Go PRO plan:- This is a high-end hosting plan including all premium services and high performance servers. This package is good for people intending to create viral high traffic blogs. I have never tried it because my blogs receive moderate traffic but it is something I will try in the future as YOSAKI grows. Extra features include; Dedicated IP, SSL Certificate, Domain Privacy, High performance servers, Unlimited Storage space, Unlimited bandwidth and Site Backup Pro
Step 4:- CHANGE DOMAIN NAME SERVERS:
####NOTE: If you already registered your domain name with Bluehost.com – Jump to ”Installing WordPress on your domain” section. But those whose domain names are not registered with Bluehost, you have to follow instructions below.
What is a name server? A name server is a server on the internet which specializes in handling queries against a directory services.
How to Change Name Servers?
I can’t do illustrations for this because I don’t know which company you used to register your domain. If you find any challenges in changing name servers – email me for free help ”sales (at) yosaki.com”.
- Log in to your Domain Registrar account.
- Go to Domains, click Manage
- Select your domain name and click Manage DNS
- Go to Name servers and click Change
- Replace default name servers with – ns1.bluehost (dot) com & ns2.bluehost (dot) com.
- Click Save
Step 5:- ADDING DOMAIN NAME ON BLUEHOST:
NOTE: After changing your domain’s name server – you have to go to your Bluehost account and add that domain in your hosting account.
Log into your Bluehost Account:
Click on ‘’Domain Manager
Click ‘’Assign a domain to your Control Panel account’’ (you have to add a domain name you already own and its name servers have to be ‘’ns1.bluehost.com & ns2.bluehost.com).
Type in your domain name
Choose -> addon
When you choose ”Addon Domain” – your domain will point to a specific sub-directory in your Bluehost account. So when installing WordPress, all files will be installed in that specific folder. (if you get confused with this section….email me please for free support – sales (at) yosaki.com )
Create -> directory (your domain will be pointing to this directory – WordPress files will be stored under this folder after installation)
Step 6:- CHOOSING A BLOGGING PLATFORM:
When starting your first blog – you will see lots of platforms which claim to be the best for blog creation. However, not all of them are flexible and easy to use as WordPress.
I have built all my blogs with WordPress. It is a free software packed with lots of free plugins to help you customize your blog.
Bluehost has WordPress software installed on their sever. So log into your account and click on the WordPress Icon. Choose a domain name where you want the installation to take place and wait for the installation to get done.
INSTALLING WORDPRESS ON YOUR DOMAIN:- Check Step 7 Below and learn how to install WordPress software on your domain.
Step 7:- INSTALL WORDPRESS ON YOUR DOMAIN:
FREE SUPPORT: – If you find any problem during the installation process – email me for free support (sales (at) yosaki.com)
#1: – LONG INTO YOUR BLUE HOST ACCOUNT:
#2: -FIND A ”WORDPRESS ICON” AND CLICK ON IT
#3: -GO TO MOJO MARKETPLACE (when you click on the WordPress Icon – it will take you to Mojo Marketplace)
Mojo Marketplace installs WordPress to the root of your site or to a subdirectory.
#4: -SELECT A DOMAIN WHERE YOU WANT MOJO TO INSTALL WORDPRESS
On the right, you will see an empty field which requires you to enter a sub-folder where the installation should go. I always leave this section empty because I want Mojo to install WordPress on my root folder. So please do the same.
#5: – Click The ”Install Now Button” And Follow Instructions. (make sure you read terms & conditions)
Once WordPress is 100% installed on your domain. You will get a link like this one – http://www.yourblog.com/wp-login.php (replace ”yourblog” text with your domain name) – go to this link, put in your user name & password and log into your blog.
After logging into your blog, install all essential plugins. See instructions below on how to install plugins?
Step 8:- INSTALLING WORDPRESS PLUGINS:
After logging into your Blog, you will see a detailed ‘’Dashboard’’ – look at the left of the Dashboard – below ‘’Appearance’’ you will see ‘’Plugins’’. Point your mouse on the ‘’Plugins’’ text – a menu will drop down as you see below. Click on ‘’Add New’’
Dashboard -> Plugins -> Add New
Search for Plugins and install them. These will help you customize your blog.
List of Plugins that I use on my blogs and what they do:
- Yoast SEO: – SEO plugin for creating Meta Title & Meta descriptions for posts and pages. ( Make sure your Blog home page, posts, pages & categories have both Meta Title & Meta Description text because this is what Search Engines pick-up and index).
- WP Super Cache: – This is a must have plugin – It caches WordPress pages & posts making them lighter and faster to load.
- Akismet Anti-Spam:- This plugin protects your blog from spam.
- Category Tag Pages: – Easily put categories on Pages. By default –categories only show up when you’re creating posts.
- Share Buttons by AddThis:- A blog should have social share buttons and this plugin makes it easy to add social share buttons.
- Disqus Comment System:- It is easy to spam WordPress’s default commenting system yet you can’t grow your blog without keeping the audience engaged. So Disqus is the best commenting plugin. All people who comment on your site have to be registered with Disqus and they also have a control panel where you can ‘’Edit / Delete’’ comments
- Google Font Manager: – Adds a library of selected Google Fonts to your WordPress site with a back-end font selection and preview system.
- Google XML Sitemaps: – It generates a special XML sitemap which will help search engines like Google, Yahoo, Bing, and Ask.com crawl & index your blog.
- Post Type Switcher:- You can easily switch posts to pages / pages to posts. When I want to create a full width post without sidebars, I switch that post to pages because by default WordPress Pages can be set to ‘’Full Width Display’’
- Jetpack:- It is not easy to create blog content & images. So make sure your blog is fully protected and backed up in real time.
- Yet Another Related Posts Plugin:- Adds related posts to your blog posts & pages thus increasing the time people spend on your Blog.
- Rel Nofollow Checkbox: – Since your goal is to ‘’Create a Money making blog’’ – it will have affiliate links which earn you money. Make sure you put a ‘’Rel nofollow’’ on all external links. This prevents passing over pagerank to those links. After installing this plugin, click on an external link and rel nofollow tag box.
Step 9:- CHANGE PERMALINKS SETTINGS:
By default, WordPress links are not SEO friendly. So if you don’t change Permalinks, your post URL’s will look funny. Some Plugins might not work if the permalinks settings are not changed.
Go to Settings-> Permalinks
Tick ‘’Post name’’ and click save changes
When you opt for ‘’Post name’’ your links will be SEO friendly and very easy to remember.
Step 10:- CHANGE ‘’GENERAL & DISCUSSION SETTINGS’’
WordPress has default settings but you have to change them. I only make changes in two sections and these include; (a) General Settings, (b) Discussion Settings.
Change General Settings:
Go to ‘’Settings -> General
Fill in your ‘’Blog name, Tagline, and admin email Address – Click Save.
Change – Discussion Settings:
Go to ”Settings” -> Discussion
Untick all the other boxes and tick only 2 boxes (the ones I have marked in red). All comments must be held for moderation before they appear on your blog posts; Reason being that most of the comments might be spam – with intention of stealing your page rank. Do not allow people to register with your site to be able to post comments. This option is highly abused – so the best option is to disable that option and install Disqus commenting plugin.
Step 11:- SEO – ADDING ‘’META TITLE & META DESCRIPTION’’
For my SEO needs, I use ”Ultimate Seo Plugin”, however, majority of bloggers use Yoast SEO – It is a very nice plugin but I’m used to Ultimate Seo plugin and that is what I will talk about in this section.
A ”Meta Title & Meta Description” – is what Google and other search engines index. If you don’t include this information in your blog posts, pages and site-wide – your content won’t be indexed.
Install ”SEO Ultimate plugin”
Click Title Tag Rewriter – Edit ‘’Blog Homepage Title’’ – Click save
Edit Posts Title Tag -> Click save
Edit ‘‘Meta Descriptions” for Homepage, Posts and Pages
Click ‘’Blog Homepage’’ – add meta data description for your blog’s home page
Click ‘’Posts’’ – add meta data for your post. You can also do the same thing for your pages.
NOTE:- Adding meta titles and meta description for posts and pages can also be done when you’re creating a post / a page. I will show you how to do that when we get to the section for creating blog posts.
Step 12:- CHOOSE A FREE / PREMIUM WORDPRESS THEME
You can either use a free / premium theme from www.themeforest.net. If you don’t want to spend money on creating a blog, you can go for a free WordPress theme.
SELECTING FREE THEME:
Go to ”Appearance – > Themes -> Add New
Choose a free theme for your blog and ‘’Click Install’’
NOTE:- For those who have bought a premium theme from themeforest.net . Click ‘’Upload Theme’’ -> choose the theme file stored on your computer -> Upload it – > Install theme.
Step 13:- CUSTOMIZE YOUR THEME
If you have opted for a free theme, there is less to customize. But those who have opted for a premium theme, you will need to go to theme option settings and customize that theme basing on its settings. If you get any problem, email me for free support at ‘’sales (at) Yosaki.com
CUSTOMIZING A FREE THEME:
Click – Appearance -> Customize
The areas marked in ‘Red’’ can be customized / changed. As you’re making changes, you will see them live on the second panel at the right. Remember to click save so that the changes you have made remain permanent.
Step 14:- CREATE A LOGO:
I create all my logos using Macromedia Fireworks but you might not have it on your computer and I don’t want you to spend money buying Fireworks. You can create Logos online for free.
I have compared 3 free online tools for making logos. Below are my results.
#MAKING LOGOS WITH CANVA.COM
So far this is our best online free logo maker we have tested. It does not require any Photoshop experience. All you have to do is signup for a free account, choose from thousands of templates and start editing any template of your choice. Once your logo is done, click the download button and that is the end of the story. The premium version of Canva is for full time logo designers – it comes with lots of templates and features. Below is example of a Yosaki logo I created using Canva
#MAKING LOGOS WITH LOGOMAKR.COM
With Logomakr.com – you can easily create text based logos. They have a function for searching for Graphics which you can embed with a text logo but the results for the graphics I searched for where not appealing.
Example of ”Yosaki” logo made with www.Logomakr.com
Example of ‘Yosaki’’ logo made with ‘’ freelogodesign.org’’
If you want to make a logo accompanied with graphics, www.freelogodesign.org is the best choice.
Step 15: ADD YOUR FIRST BLOG POST:
This is what you have been waiting for. To add posts to your blog because that is what makes it a real blog.
Go to Posts -> Add New
NOTE:- Make sure you add ‘’Title Tag and Meta Description ‘’ before publishing your post. Google uses this information to index your post in search results. So without it your content won’t be ranked.
Step 16:- MAKING FULL WIDTH POSTS:
You might want some posts to have full width preview ‘’just like this post’’ – without sidebars. However, some WordPress themes don’t have ‘’Post template’’ feature. But don’t worry; this is what you can do to create full width posts.
Go to – Plugins -> Add new (search for ” Post Template Select ’’ ) plugin and install it.
Go to ‘’Post Template Select’’ – Settings
Enable ‘’Display Templates Dropdown’’ on your posts and also Select Template Type – I suggest you opt for ‘’Page Template (Default)
Click save changes.
Create a Full With Post
After selecting ‘’ Full width’’ enter the rest of the information in your post including ‘’Meta title & Meta Description and Click ‘’Publish’’. View your page – it will look exactly like this post (without side bars)
Step 17:- ADDING IMAGES IN YOUR POSTS:
To add an image to your post / page; You have to place a cursor where you want the image to be.
After that Click on ‘’Add Media’’
Pick image from Library / Upload Image from your computer
Image added into post:
Since you have a new blog – the possibilities of not having images in your library are high. So Click – Upload Files – and pick the image from your computer.
Step 18:- CREATING CATEGORIES FOR YOUR POSTS:
Go to Posts ->Categories
Add name of the category – Slug name (this should be the same as your category name. It works as the URL for your category page) – Description (briefly describe your category) and Click ‘’Add new Category’’
Step 19:- ADDING LINKS (INTERNAL & EXTERNAL LINKS)
In WordPress, links are used to connect posts, pages and related websites. The process of adding both internal & external links is the same. However, external links are treated different. An external link is a link which goes out of your blog to another blog of interest. We use them when referring to specific facts published on other blogs and they help readers learn more on a specific topic.
You might link to other blogs ‘’as reference’’ in good faith but if you don’t add a rel=”nofollow” tag, Google and other search engines will think you’re selling links and passing over page rank to them. Below I have screen shoots showing you how to add both internal and external links in a blog post.
# ADDING INTERNAL LINKS:
These are links which point to related posts within a blog – a user does not go out the website. Internal links also help Google Robots crawl your content better)
Highlight the text where you want a link to be
Click – Insert link (Ctrl + K)
Choose a post you want to link to – > Add link
NOTE:- When it comes to internal links. You should not add a rel=’’nofollow’’ tag or open them in new tab. If you add a rel=’’nofollow’’ tag to internal links – you send a signal to Google Robots that ‘’please, don’t follow this post’’ – which is wrong.
# ADDING EXTERNAL LINKS:
These are links which point to other websites / blogs. According to Google, all external links should have a rel=’’nofollow’’ tag. This tag tells Google robot not to follow and rank that link.
Install ‘’ Rel Nofollow Checkbox’’ plugin
Go to your Post
Highlight the text where you want a link to be
Click – Insert link (Ctrl + K)
Add External Link
Make sure you tick the – Open link in new tab & rell=’’nofollow’’ boxes.
Step 20:- ADDING SOCIAL SHARE BUTTONS:
It is very important to put social share buttons on your blog posts because it enables your visitors to share content published on your blog with friends on social networks like Facebook & Pinterest. Social buttons can increase your traffic without spending any single coin. Popular blogs like www.viralnova.com highly depend on social media traffic and these buttons play a big role in spreading their viral content to masses on Facebook.
Go to Plugins -> Add new
Search for ”Share buttons” (I use Share Buttons by AddThis)
Install and activate the plugin
Step 21:- CHOOSING A NICHE FOR YOUR BLOG:
Now that you know how to create a blog – it is time to learn how to make money blogging. This is the most challenging part – simply because your aim is to make money with your blog. So if you choose a non profitable niche or a highly competitive niche – you will get frustrated.
I have done some research in Google on ”Profitable blog niches”. Scrivs the founder of Obstacle.com listed the following niches as profitable niches…..
- # How to Make Money:– Teaching people how to make a living online. A good example of a successful blogger doing this is Pat Fly founder of smartpassiveincome.com .
- # Viral Content :- Ideal for people who don’t have time to write longtail posts (like the one you’re reading now). Viral blogs don’t get most of their traffic from Google. They highly depend on social traffic. A good example of such a blog is viralnova.com (this blog was sold for $100m). To take this root, you must have some money to pay for Facebook advertisement.
- # Amazon Niche Sites: – You can create a blog which promotes specific categories on Amazon. However, your blog should also provide useful content to users. It should not be 100% a review site. A good example is www.cnet.com. For those interested in creating Amazon niche sites – I advise you to read NichePursuits.com (this website features content on niche website creation)
- # Health and Fitness:- This is a highly profitable niche because you can monetize it with ”Adsense, Amazon, Clickbank, etc…”But it is very competitive.
- # Food & Cooking: – This niche targets people who would like to learn how to cook anything. If you’re a pro in that – give it a try.
- # Gardening
- # Lifestyle & Travel
- # Personal Development
- # Gaming
- # Photography
These are just examples; you should do more research on this topic.
Step 22:- MAKING MONEY BLOGGING:
I will be writing a detailed article on Blog Monetization explaining how you can make money blogging. But in brief, let me teach you how I make money blogging and I do it as a full time job / business.
# CREATE BLOGS FOR SALE:
If you know about real estate, then blogging works in the same way. A blog is a digital real estate asset. Its value increases as earnings go high and it drops as earns decrease.
So the main trick of creating highly valued blogs – is to create stable and increasing income.
I sell all my blogs on www.Flippa.com
Before putting up my blog for sale on Flippa.com, I make sure it makes some reasonable amount of money.
Most of my blogs are monetized with Adsense & Amazon Affiliate program
# AMAZON AFFILIATE:
My first blogs where monetized with Adsense which earned me some good money but these days display ads don’t make as much money as they used too in the past – so I will not waste your time teaching you how to monetize a blog with Adsense. Though it is okay to have at least 2 Adsense ads on your blog. With good traffic they can generate some good income which you can use to pay for hosting & writers. But I don’t take Adsense as a serious income generating program.
Amazon affiliate program is free and highly rewarding. I have made some good money with this program and they’re so many products you can promote.
However, in 2017 – Amazon changed their commission structure. Electronics & Fitness products are no-longer as rewarding as before. Now the most profitable niche is Home & Garden with about 8% commission.
You can easily make $100 a day with Amazon Affiliate program – but make sure you follow their guidelines.
#WEB HOSTING AFFILIATE:
I have just entered this niche and I’m yet to discover if it is worth my time or not. However, I see lots of bloggers promoting Web Hosting companies. A smart blogger like Pat Fly of www.smartpassiveincome.com makes $30,000 as a Bluehost affiliate.
To make money in this niche, you have to create content which attracts people with intention of buying a web hosting package / domain name.
# SHARE A SALE AFFILIATE:
Shareasale.com works like a market place for companies with affiliate programs. They host millions of companies and each company has its own commission structure. Some pay 10%,15%, 25%,30%,50% and so much more.
I have made a few dollars with this network and I’m sure in the future I will make more.
FREE SUPPORT:- If you have any questions on ‘’How To Create A Blog and Make Money?’’ email me for free support – (sales (at) yosaki.com)
HOW TO CREATE A BLOG ON AN ESTABLISHED BUSINESS WEBSITE?
For any small business to succeed online, it needs a blog section. The main purpose of his blog section is to boost traffic thus bringing in new clients for your business. It is more of a marketing technique which involves giving away free information to targeted audiences who are more likely to become your clients.
If you have already created a website for your business using WordPress, it will be easy to integrate a blog in that website but if you have used other platforms to create your business website, it might be tricky to add a blog.
Below are some the steps that you should follow to create blog for your business.
#Curriculum For This Course:
- Deciding on a Blogging Platform
- Create A Blog On An Existing WordPress Site / Install A WordPress Blog On A Non WordPress Business Website
- Installing a WordPress Blog on a Non WordPress Business Website
- Content Planning & Writing
- Promoting Your Business Blog To Attract Customers
STEP 1:- DECIDING ON A BLOGGING PLATFORM:
It is very important to opt for an easy to use blogging platform because a blog needs updating and regular publishing of new posts to keep your readers engaged. If you choose a complicated blogging platform, you might find it difficult to update or twist your blog when you want to.
That’s to why I always recommend my readers and clients to always opt for WordPress Platform. It is a simple blogging platform with lots of Plugins to help you customize your business blog. WordPress is flexible and easy to use. You can log-into your blog from any device, create and schedule post updates for your blog.
But what you have to note about WordPress is that they give out free blogs – hosted on their domain. So with this free blog, you don’t have to pay for hosting or domain renewal but the link will look like this – https://yoursite.wordpress.com/ .
I don’t recommend using subdomains / free hosted blogs outside your business website. Why? Because it affects your business’s brand and it sends traffic to a sub-domain on WordPress not your site.
A blog hosted on your website will keep users on your business website thus turning them into potential customers.
For example: I’m creating a directory for Private Investigators – but it is very difficult to optimize directory listings in Google and Bing. So I have started my project by creating a blog section where I publish detailed posts about ”How To Become a Private Investigator, How to catch a cheating partner and so much more” my blog’s URL is www.privateinvestigatorsnearme.com/category/blog/ (under my blog section is where I publish content which attracts visitors to my directory)
However, if you would like to try out other options, there are several blog building platforms out there and majority of them are free and these include; Weebly.com, Joomla.org, Blooger.com and Drupal.com. However, these platforms come with restrictions and are not easy to optimize for search engines.
STEP 2:- CREATE A BLOG ON AN EXISTING WORDPRESS SITE / INSTALL A WORDPRESS BLOG ON A NON WORDPRESS BUSINESS WEBSITE:
At this point, I don’t know whether you already have a website built on WordPress or not. However if you don’t have a website yet and you would like to build one first – read my post on ‘’How To Create a Website’’ – in that post you will learn how to set up a business website.
- Create a Blog on an Existing WordPress Business Website:
Those who have an existing WordPress business website, follow steps below:
Step 1:- Log into your WordPress Website
Step 2:- Create a ‘’Blog Page’’
This is just like any other page, however, you name it ‘’Blog’’ – don’t put content on this page, leave it blank but make sure you publish it.
Step 3:- Go to Settings -> Reading
Step 4:- Select a Post Page -> Blog -> Save Changes
This is where all your blog posts will go. A post page should be a ‘’Blog Page’’ you created in Step 2.
Finished – Below is an example of a blog installed on a business website
This is an example from ‘’ Jani-King Commercial Cleaning and Franchising Blog’’ (www.janiking.com/jani-king-blog/)
Installing a WordPress Blog on a Non WordPress Business Website:
If Your Business Website Is Not Built On WordPress But You Would Like To Create And Link A Blog To Your Website. Follow Steps Below:
Step 1:- Purchase Web Hosting:- Much as WordPress if free, you need to pay some little money to have your blog hosted – that is if your current host does not provide WordPress hosting which is a very rare case. I recommend Bluehost.com -for WordPress hosting. They have the most reliable severs and a great support team to help you anytime you need them.
Note: All screen shoots below are taken from Bluehost account. So if you’re using another host, data might be presented differently in your account.
Step 2:- Log into your Bluehost account:
Step 3:- Click on a WordPress Icon:
When you click the WordPress Installation Icon – you will be taken to ”Mojo Marketplace” – Bluehost use Mojo to Install WordPress on your domain.
Step 4:- SELECT A DOMAIN WHERE YOU WANT MOJO TO INSTALL WORDPRESS
Step 5:-Create a folder where you want your WordPress Installation Should Go. (Name the file ‘’Blog’’)
‘’A directory is a folder where your WordPress installation will go’’ – I prefer naming my directory ‘’Blog’’ because that is what it is.
Step6:- Click Install -> and Fill in Admin Information
Admin information includes: Site Name, Admin Email Address, Admin Username and Admin Password
NOTE:- Make sure you use a complicated password to prevent strangers from logging into your blog. Keep your password safely.
I always tick ”Automatically create a new database for this installation” – this saves me from going through the hassle of creating a database. Make sure you also tick ”I have read the Terms of Service” & ”I understand that installing on the same domain will overwrite any files”
Step7:- Access your newly Installed WordPress blog (your login link will look like this http://www.yourwebsite.com/blog )
Step8:- Log into your WordPress blog
Step9:- Install all essential plugins
Click on Plugins -> Add New
Search for a plugin and Click -> Install Now
Now this is the easiest yet tricky part on WordPress. A new installation does not come with all essential plugins that you need to customize your site. So you have to know the right plugins for your blog. Below is a list of plugins that I always install immediately after installing WordPress.
- WP Super Cache: – Very fast caching plugin for WordPress. ( The main purpose of this plugin is to generate static html files from your dynamic WordPress blog thus making it easy to cache by your web server – making it easy and faster to load your blog pages / posts)
- SEO Ultimate:- This is an all in one SEO plugin which enables you to create ”Meta titles & Descriptions, open graph, auto-linking, rich-snippets, 404 monitoring, siloing and so much more”
- Rel Nofollow Checkbox:- When creating a blog content, parts of your content will be citing other authoritative sources so all external links that go out of your should have a ‘’rel nofollow’’ tag. This plugin adds a simple checkbox in the insert/edit link popup for including no-follow attribute.
- Google XML Sitemaps:- Instead of submitting your blog to search engines, this plugin does it for you automatically. It generates an XML sitemap which helps search engines like Google, Bing, Yahoo and Ask to better index your blog.
- Akismet Anti-Spam:- It protects your blog from spam comments thus keeping your site clean.
Step10:- Create Posts / Pages
Click on Posts -> Add New
Add Post Title -> Content -> Meta Title -> Meta Description -> Select a Category -> Set Features Image -> Publish
I explained this section in detail in my post on ‘’How To Create Your Own Website?’’ – I advise you to go to that post and get all details on how to Add Posts, Add Pages, Categories, Creating Menus, Customizing your blog and Uploading new theme.
Step 11:- Link your new WordPress blog to your website’s navigational menu.
Since I don’t know which platform your business website is built on, I suggest you email me and I have a look at your website.(free support ‘’ firstname.lastname@example.org ’’)
STEP 3:- CONTENT PLANNING & WRITING:
Since your blog is connected to your business website. It should have content related to the services / products you’re selling. In this way, it will be very easy to convert new visitors into potential customers.
However, as you’re planning on which topics to write one, consider keyword relevance – opt for keywords with traffic – other wise no one will visit your blog. I use www.semrush.com to find keywords with traffic.
Once I get keywords with traffic, I start planning my content (it has to be relevant to the user and matching with the keyword).
For example: I work as an affiliate marketer. But for me to sell ”web hosting plans” – I had to create this guide on ”How To Create a Blog and Make money”. The content on this blog helps you create your own blog but I still send you to relevant websites which offer me a small commission to keep my website running.
Now let’s assume I owned a webhosting company, Instead of sending my readers to other companies, I would link to my own company. So as a business owner, that is what you have to do. Create rich keyword focused content which attracts potential customers.
Example of Semrush’s Blog
Semrush is a software related business – they create online tools which enable you search for keywords and traffic information about each website / blog online. The type of content published on their blog clearly matches with their services. So whoever reads that content later-on becomes a client for Semrush.com
STEP 4:- PROMOTING YOUR BUSINESS BLOG TO ATTRACT CUSTOMERS:
Since it is a business blog, you won’t monetize it with adverts or affiliate links but rather your services. You can create banners about your services and promote them on your blog. You can as well link to service pages so that people reading your blog and click through to your service pages.
Other channels that you can use to promote your blog include:
- Facebook: – This will require you to create a Facebook business page. You will be allowed to post all your blog posts on this page. However, traffic won’t come on instant. So what you have to do is to invest at least $100 to promote your page – with this small budget, you will get followers whom you can always engage with. Before promoting your Facebook, make sure it has enough content bookmarked on it.
- Pinterest:– Create a business account on Pinterest and pin your blog images on Pinterest. To get traffic from this network is tricky. Make sure your images have a call to action text. You can put a text describing your content in the image. This can be done with Photoshop / Fireworks
- Reddit:-This is viral news & content bookmarking platform. Traffic from reddit is good because reddit users can discuss about your topic thus boosting your post on Reddit.
- Google Adwords: – I prefer this method when I want to reach Google Search Engine users. Since it takes time to rank in Google, I always pay for keywords I want to rank on. Basically, your blog / website should not depend on free Google traffic because Google changes their search algorithm all the time.
FREE SUPPORT:- If you have any questions on How To Create A Blog and Make Money email me for free support – (sales (at) yosaki.com)
- How To Create a Website from Scratch – Free Course
- 3 Best Website Builders Reviewed – I Tested Them All
- How To Create and Sell Online Courses
- 2 # REQUIREMENTS FOR CREATING A BLOG:
- 3 How to Create a Blog and Make Money?
- 4 Step 1:- BLOGGING BASICS:
- 5 Step 2:- REGISTERING A DOMAIN NAME ON BLUEHOST:
- 6 Step 3:- CHOOSING THE RIGHT WEBSITE HOSTING COMPANY:
- 7 Step 4:- CHANGE DOMAIN NAME SERVERS:
- 8 Step 5:- ADDING DOMAIN NAME ON BLUEHOST:
- 9 Step 6:- CHOOSING A BLOGGING PLATFORM:
- 10 Step 7:- INSTALL WORDPRESS ON YOUR DOMAIN:
- 11 Step 8:- INSTALLING WORDPRESS PLUGINS:
- 12 Step 9:- CHANGE PERMALINKS SETTINGS:
- 13 Step 10:- CHANGE ‘’GENERAL & DISCUSSION SETTINGS’’
- 14 Change – Discussion Settings:
- 15 Step 11:- SEO – ADDING ‘’META TITLE & META DESCRIPTION’’
- 16 Step 12:- CHOOSE A FREE / PREMIUM WORDPRESS THEME
- 17 Step 13:- CUSTOMIZE YOUR THEME
- 18 Step 14:- CREATE A LOGO:
- 19 Step 15: ADD YOUR FIRST BLOG POST:
- 20 Step 16:- MAKING FULL WIDTH POSTS:
- 21 Step 17:- ADDING IMAGES IN YOUR POSTS:
- 22 Step 18:- CREATING CATEGORIES FOR YOUR POSTS:
- 23 Step 19:- ADDING LINKS (INTERNAL & EXTERNAL LINKS)
- 24 Step 20:- ADDING SOCIAL SHARE BUTTONS:
- 25 Step 21:- CHOOSING A NICHE FOR YOUR BLOG:
- 26 Step 22:- MAKING MONEY BLOGGING:
- 27 HOW TO CREATE A BLOG ON AN ESTABLISHED BUSINESS WEBSITE?
- 28 #Curriculum For This Course:
- 29 STEP 1:- DECIDING ON A BLOGGING PLATFORM:
- 30 STEP 2:- CREATE A BLOG ON AN EXISTING WORDPRESS SITE / INSTALL A WORDPRESS BLOG ON A NON WORDPRESS BUSINESS WEBSITE:
- 31 Installing a WordPress Blog on a Non WordPress Business Website:
- 32 STEP 3:- CONTENT PLANNING & WRITING:
- 33 STEP 4:- PROMOTING YOUR BUSINESS BLOG TO ATTRACT CUSTOMERS: