If you own a home with yard/compound then you will have to mulch it at…
5 Best Lawn Mowers 2019 – For All Yard Sizes
After running different tests on various lawn mowers, we came to agree that Honda HRR216K9VKA and Greenworks PRO 21 are the best lawn mowers on the market. Both models are self propelled – so you don’t have to worry about pushing them up-hills. Honda HRR216K9VKA is gas powered with an auto choke which makes it easy to start while Greenworks PRO is a battery powered ”cordless / electric lawn mower.” With Greenworks PRO you don’t have to bother yourself with buying gas. All you have do is to charge it. (Last Updated – 22 – Feb 2019)
WHY WE LIKE HONDA HRR216K9VKA AND EGO LM2102SP 21?
- Both models are self propelled – this means they can move without external propulsion / agency. Self propelled mowers are ideal for large, small and hilly lawns. You don’t get tired while using them. All you have to do is to guide the mower to the right direction.
- Both have fold-able handles – thus making it easy to store.
- Greenworks PRO is battery powered – basically it is the right lawn mower for our generation. Less maintenance is required. The battery charges very fast so you don’t have to wait for so long.
- To use any of these models. you don’t need extra attachments or tools. Both come well assembled – ready to keep your lawn clean.
- You can easily adjust cutting height on both models. Honda HRR216K9VKA featured 6 Position Cutting Height Adjustments 1-1/8″ – 4″.
- Greenworks uses a Smartcut technology to automatically detect a change in grass density and height thus adjust the mower’s power for better performance.
- Greenworks PRO is environmentally friendly. It will clean your lawn without releasing bad fumes or make wired noise. I personally prefer Greenworks PRO to Honda-HRR216K9VKA.
Gas vs. Electric mowers – WHAT IS THE BEST?
All mowers can cut grass but the biggest difference between gas, manual and electric mowers is the amount of effort required to use them.
These are the most popular ones, they use less gas and require little energy to push them. A self propelled mower can push its self once started. But the only con with gas powered mowers is the need to add fuel and change engine oil to maintain good performance. What I like about self propelled mowers is the ability to cover a wide area without feeling tired.
Good news is that you can now buy an electric cordless self propelled mower -one which will save you from high maintenance costs. On this list we have featured 3 self propelled electric mowers and these include; Greenworks PRO, Snapper XD SXD21SPWM82K and Ego Cordless Self Propelled Lawn Mower
If pushing a reel manual lawnmower, changing gas is not your thing – then an electric lawnmower is the best solution for you. Basing on my experience, you better opt for a self propelled model like Greenworks PRO / Snapper XD SXD21SPWM82K – these two models are both self propelled & electric – no need to buy gas or bother with changing oil. Some electric mowers have strong batteries which keep power for a longer period – for example Greenworks PRO battery can give you 45 minutes of run time once its fully charged.
On the other hand – we also have robotic lawn mowers. These are electric too; but they’re not ideal for large compounds but rather small sized compounds. You can control a robotic mower with a mobile application. Robotic mowers are for people who are too busy to mow their lawn or those who’re so into high-end gadgets.
5 Best Lawn Mowers – 2019:
BUYING GUIDE_- WHAT TO LOOK FOR:
- Type of lawn mower: They are very many types of lawn mowers that you can choose from depending on what exactly you want to use the mower for and how large your yard size is. These include: (1) Push reel mowers that depend entirely on your effort to move – they are very safe to the environment. (2) Walk behind mowers – these are either gas powered or electric powered, (3) Self propelled mowers – these don’t require too much power to use them. If you have a large sized lawn, a self propelled model is the best for you. (4) Lawn tractors – these are very good for larger yards but come at a really high price, (5) Robotic mowers – these are remote controlled but they are overly expensive, (6) Zero turn mowers – these are also good for large yards but they are more expensive than lawn tractors.
- Power source: Lawn mowers are usually powered by three sources, they are either battery operated, gas powered or electric. Gas powered mowers are very effective but pollute the air, battery operated require no cord but you will have to take breaks to recharge the batteries and with electric powered mowers you need cord to run the machine though there is no need for fuel refill and they are very safe to the environment.
- Engine size: The size of the engine basically determines how powerful the machine is – therefore mowers with larger engines tend to provide more power and better variability compared to mowers with small engines. Also keep in mind that the larger the engine the heavier the machine.
- Attachments: Look out for that lawn mower with such extra attachments to ensure that all your yard chores are fully satisfied. These attachments include, mulching kits, grass catchers, leaf bags and several others that makes your mower more functional. You also need to look out for the safety features that a mower has to offer to avoid accidents.
- Starting mechanism: They’re two starting mechanisms; (1) it is either the pull rope or (2) push button start and obviously lawn mowers with the push button start are much easier to operate. However with technology even those with pull rope start mechanism are detailed with an auto choke system that enables the machine to start on first pull. You need to look out for a mower with frustration free starting mechanism.
- Easily adjustable blade height: By adjusting the blade it means you can cut the grass to any level of your choice. You can either cut it longer or shorter – so consider going in for mowers with blade height that can easily be adjusted.
REVIEW OF THE BEST LAWN MOWERS 2019
Honda HRR216K9VKA – Self Propelled Mower ”Gas”
The Honda HRR216K9VKA is a self propelled gas lawn mower that delivers incredible performance and reliable mowing performance all thanks to the amazing features it is made with. It features a 3 in 1 cutting system giving you the liberty to bag, rear discharge or mulch without using any extra tools or attachments whatsoever. It additionally incorporates an easy start Honda GCV 160 engine with auto choke system that prevents the burden of choking before the mower starts. This is a very flexible mower with 6 position height adjustment which makes it easy to use on different types of grass while the 8 inch ball bearing wheels enable it to run smoothly. With its smart speed drive control you can always mow at any speed you feel is most comfortable for you and most appropriate for your yard.
Greenworks PRO 21:
Greenworks PRO is an electreic cordless lawn mower powered by 2.0AH Batteries which keep power for up to 45 minutes – thus offer you with enough mowing time. Its brushless motor is 100% reliable and it deivers the same power as a gas powered 1600cc engine. Greenworks PRO can be used on large sized yards of about 1 acre ++. When both batteries are fully charged, you will have 90 minutes of run time. Each battery can offer you with 45 minutes of run time. A quick 30 minutes charge can provide you with enough power to complete mowing your lawn. The Smartcut technology automatically detects grass height & density – thus adjust the lawn mowers power to meet the blades requirements to cut that grass. When it comes to storage, you don’t have to worry about that – Greenworks PRO can be folded vertically – thus reduce upto 70% of storage space.
Snapper XD SXD21SPWM82K – SELF PROPELLED ‘’Electric’’
The Snapper XD 82V Max* 21” is a cordless electric self-propelled lawn mower ideal for all sizes of compound. It is a high performance mower – able to cut all sorts of grass on your lawn. You don’t have to use lots of energy to push Snapper XD – its self propelled feature will push the machine so your only job will be guding the mower to the right direction. It very easy to maintain – no need to change oil or add fuel. All you have to is sharpen the blades and charge the batteries. But after using the mower for many years, you will need to replace the batteries so that mower retains its speed and effeciency. The other thing you don’t have to worry about is ”NOISE”. Snapper cuts and bags the grass without making noise. You can easily adjust cutting hieght with a single lever height-of-cut adjustment. Choose from 7 different cutting heights. Long battery life ”45- minutes” – you will easily get the job done without recharging the battery.But this applies to moderate sized lawns. If your compound is 1-acre and above, you will definitely spend more than 45 minutes mowing it, so you either buy two batteries or recharge that 1 battery once it runs out of power.
Makita XML02PTX1 18V X2 – Best Lawn Mower for Small Compounds:
Makita is a perfect light weight cordless lawnmower – very easy to start and use. It can be used by all sorts of people ”older people find it user friendly because of its light weight. This is a great alternative to gas mowers – however, it is quite narrow – and that makes it ideal for small sized compounds. If you have a large compound of about 1 acre +, this Makita might not do a great job for you. In that case – opt for Snapper XD SXD21SPWM82K. Snapper is wider and stronger than Makita XML02PTX1. Makita XML02PTX1’s motor delivers 3,600 RPM. This is quite enough power to mow a medium sized lawn. Its 18V batteries will provide you with 30 minutes runtime without recharging. Makita Extreme Protection Technology (XPT) will ensure that you’re always protected when using Makita. XPT is a protective seal which is placed inside the tool. It is engineered for improved operation during harsh conditions – it channels dust & water from all key internal components.
Ego 21 in. 56-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Self Propelled Lawn Mower:
When you can’t take the noise and the fumes anymore or even the mess that other lawn mowers leave behind the Ego Self Propelled Lawn Mower will be right there to save you. This cordless lawn mower operates with advanced EGO power and a powerful 56volt 7.5Ah lithium ion battery which quickly charges to deliver long lasting power in absolutely every weather condition. With its 21 inch cutting deck, the lawn mower it runs for about 60 minutes which is enough time for you to work on a big part of your lawn if not all of it. It is extremely easy to start as you only have to push a button for it to run and it lets you work at your own pace with the variable speed that it offers. The deck can be adjusted to 6 different height positions for better performance on all types of grass. It features LED headlights for you to work a few more hours when night comes and charges for only 60minutes before your next mowing session.
Mulching grass vs. bagging
In reality, mulching is better than bagging. These small grass clippings are consumed by earth organisms thus turn the mulch into nitrogen which is latter used by your lawn. So mulching your lawn while mowing is the easiest way of fertilizing it.
High quality lawn mowers like Greenworks PRO mulch small grass cuttings and bag lengthy grass. So after using this kind of mower, your lawn will look clean.
All mowers featured on this list can mulch and bag at the same time. So you don’t have to bother about any thing here.
Grass clippings will be cut into small pieces and easily scattered down to the soil level. So your lawn will be left clean. However, to get good results, you should not mow when the grass is wet. It will be very difficult to mulch wet grass ”its to thick” – so the mower will instead bag it.
HOW TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR NEW LAWN MOWER?
High quality lawn mowers are expensive, so you have to take care of them as real investments – otherwise your money could be wasted due to laziness and failure to maintain that machine as required.
On this list we have both gas powered mowers and electric mowers. Maintenance of these two mowers is different however; certain things like sharpening and changing blades might be the same.
GAS POWERED MAINTENANCE:
- Change oil:- Gas powered mowers require oil change every time you use them. WHY? Because every-time you mow, the oil in the engine gets dirty and used up – so if you keep on using the same oil, the engine will start releasing smoke which is harmful to your health. So, make sure you change engine oil every-time you use that lawn mower.
- Replace / Clean Spark Plug:- A spark plug can work for at least two seasons, after that remove it and replace it with a brand new one. For some models like Honda, it is very easy to change a spark plug. But if you feel the spark plug can still work – simply clean it with fuel. The oil that builds-up when mowing can affect the performance of the spark plug.
- Replace / Clean Air Filter:- I own a Honda gas powered lawn mower but the air filter gets blocked with dirt every after I’m done with mowing. However, it is very easy to remove, blow, and replace the air filter. Don’t clean it with water, simply use a blower – it will remove dirt without damaging the air filter. However, if the filter gets wet / damaged – replace it with a new one. You can buy these air filters from Amazon.
- Check the blades:- It is very important to inspect the blades of your lawn mower before starting it. Make sure the bolts and nuts are tight and the blades should be sharp & not damaged by stones.
- Take it for repair:- This option can only apply when you detect something wrong with your lawn. Don’t get tempted to open the engine of your lawn unless when you know what you’re doing. I did this once and the price of fixing it back was high.
ELECTRIC MOWER MAINTENANCE :
- Check blade:- Since your mower cuts all sorts of things found on your lawn, its blades will always get damaged – so make sure you check blade of your electric lawn mower. Sharpen them if it is necessary. I have not seen a self sharpening lawn mower yet on the market.
- Check the Deck:- This does not get damaged easily but grass builds up under the deck and this can affect the performance of the machine.You can prevent grass from building up under the mower by spraying cooking oil under the deck before use. Cooking oil will make it difficult for grass to stick on the deck.
- Check bolts and nuts:- Electric lawn mowers do require regular maintenance like gas powered lawn mowers. However a regular check on bolts & nuts is recommended. Secure lose bolts & nuts.
- Lubricate wheels:- You don’t have to do this often, but once in a while – lubricate them so that the mower moves smoothly.
- Check batteries:- Electric mowers use batteries. So make sure the battery is fully charged. Good models like Greenworks PRO 21 & Snapper XD SXD21SPWM82K come with 2 batteries. Each battery will give you 45 minutes of run-time. So if you charge both batteries, you will have 90 minutes of run-time.
OUR BEST CHOICE:
WHAT MAKES HONDA HRR216K9VKA OUR BEST CHOCE?
- Micro cut twin blade system
- Auto choke system
- Variable speed
- Smart drive control system
- Three in one cutting system
- 21 inch long lasting steel deck
- Dependable and quick start Honda GCV160 engine
- 6 position height adjustment 1 1/8inch – 4inches
- Foldable and adjustable handle
- 9bushel grass catcher
- Flywheel brake system
- 8 inch rear ball bearing wheels
- Comfortable foam grip handles
- Manual fuel shut off valve
This marks the end of this detailed review on the ‘’Best Lawn Mowers’’. Bookmark this post for quick reference.
- 1 WHY WE LIKE HONDA HRR216K9VKA AND EGO LM2102SP 21?
- 2 Gas vs. Electric mowers – WHAT IS THE BEST?
- 3 5 Best Lawn Mowers – 2019:
- 4 BUYING GUIDE_- WHAT TO LOOK FOR:
- 6 REVIEW OF THE BEST LAWN MOWERS 2019
- 7 Honda HRR216K9VKA – Self Propelled Mower ”Gas”
- 8 Greenworks PRO 21:
- 9 Snapper XD SXD21SPWM82K – SELF PROPELLED ‘’Electric’’
- 10 Makita XML02PTX1 18V X2 – Best Lawn Mower for Small Compounds:
- 11 Ego 21 in. 56-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Self Propelled Lawn Mower:
- 12 Mulching grass vs. bagging
- 13 HOW TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR NEW LAWN MOWER?
- 14 OUR BEST CHOICE:
- 15 Related Posts