You might be wondering why you have to use safety razors to shave your beards…
How To Shave
How To Wet Shave With a Safety Razor
Men with very sensitive skins are recommended to use a wet shaving method because it reduces on skin irritation. When we talk about wet shaving things like shaving cream / lathering up come in your mind, however, you also need to select the right shaving tool, because lathering up with the best shaving cream will not guarantee you with the best shaving experience. True, you might get away without skin irritation or anything associated with skin irritation like (razor bumps / ingrown hairs), but if you use a wrong shaving tool, you might end up with poor results and that does not make any meaning (sense).
On this website, I have featured all kinds of shaving tools that you can use so you can browse through and find something cool. But to cut the story short and save you all time, those who prefer using safety razors, I suggest you try Merkur 180 Long Handled / Merkur 34c Heavy Duty razors, the long handled model is for men with large hands and the 34c Heavy duty for men with short hands and very thick beards / hair. So lets see how you can wet shave with a safety razor.
WET SHAVING WITH A DOUBLE EDGE SAFETY RAZOR:
Wet shaving with a safety razor is not as difficult as you think, actually back in the old age, our grand fathers used to wet shave with these de razors, so it’s not a new practice, may be the only difference might be in the products we use to leather up while wet shaving with a safety razor, but the rest is just the same.
- Choose the right safety razor: If this is your first time to use a safety razor, it might be tricky for you to know which razor to use because we have many of them out there and they all look the same at first sight. But as a beginner, I have saved you that burden. You can check this list of the best safety razors for men and see what I recommend. Choose a safety razor basing on its weight, length of handle, size of shaving head, shape of shaving head, texture of the handle and so more…..continue reading here>>>>
- Gather up what you need: At this point, you have already got the right double edge safety razor to use, so the next thing you have to do is to gather up all products necessary for this wet shaving process. Some of these products include:
RELATED: What Is The Best Safety Razor?
* Super Close Shave Formula (best hydrating shave cream for men, it prevents skin redness and irritation)
* Derby Extra Double Razor Blades( these are the best De blades, you can buy a pack of 5 – 20)
* Safety Razor ( I recommend these top 10 safety razors...)
* Escali 100% Pure Badger Shaving Brush ( this type has kind bristles, use it to apply shaving cream)
* Nivea for Men Energy Face Scrub ( You can use it clean your face. It can purify your skin by removing dirt and chemical build up)
* After Shave Balm
- Prepare your beard / Area to be shaved:- Before wet shaving your beards / pubic hair / chest hair / legs / bikini area, you have to prepare that area. Do this by washing it clean with warm water and soap, this will make the hair soft and the warm water will open all skin pores.
RELATED: What Is The Best Shaving Soap
- Run the razor under water:- I know many of you might Ignore this fact, but when you run the razor under water, it prepares the blade for wet shaving. If your razor blades are worn out, try to replace them with new blades, this will guarantee you with a clean close wet shave.
- Inspect your grain: This is the direction to which your beard / hair grows too. Before wet shaving with a safety razor, you need to first determine your grain. Do this by brushing your beard, brush in different directions, but the direction to which all seems smooth and okay is the right grain. On the other hand, when you get some resistance while brushing your beards, that direction is against the grain.
- Lather up with the best shaving cream: Use a badger hair shave brush to apply shaving cream of your choice, this type of brush has very soft bristles so they won’t irritate your skin. For the sake of shaving cream / gel, you can use what seems right for you, but if you’re a beginner, I recommend ”Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Shaving Cream” it is a very nice shaving cream, the rosemary ingredient gives it a nice scent and it also feels good on skin.
- Start by shaving your side-burn and the sides of your face: This option applies to men with side burns, if you have no sideburns, just ignore this option and go to the next step. However, those with sideburns, you should start by this section because it will help you shape and balance your beard very well.
- Shave your neck:- This is a very sensitive part to shave, so you have to be very careful when shaving your neck. Make sure the skin is well stretched when shaving your neck; this will prevent nicks and cuts around your neck. Leather up your neck very well with shaving cream or soap and then move the safety razor towards the grain, be gentle when shaving your neck, because any small cut can result into serious bleeding. Shave under your jaw / above your neck. This part is not as sensitive as neck, but to get better results, I suggest you shave while standing in-front of a mirror; this will give you a clear view of this part. Leather it up well and shave towards its grain. Please note that all parts of your face have unique grains, the one found on the chin is not the same on the neck or above the neck.
- Now get to the lip and chin:- Once you have got a clean shave on your neck, you can get to the chin and lip. If your shaving cream has dried up, try to put some little water to dissolve the shaving soap / cream and start shaving.
- Wash off shaving cream with cold water:- After getting that close wet shave of your dream, wash off that shaving cream , soap. Use cold water to rinse off shaving cream, because cold water will close skin pores so any bacteria which might be surrounding the shaved area will have no entrance to your skin.
- Close by applying after shave:- After washing your skin with cold water, all pores will be closed, now apply moderate amounts of shaving cream to your face or any other shaved area, this will ensure that you get protected from razor bumps or ingrown hairs. By default, wet shaving will prevent any of these two irritations from happening, but aftershave kills germs that might have been transferred by your hands to the shaved area, if you have dirty hands and use a wet shaving method, there is no guarantee that you will not get an infection after shaving. That is to why, during the preparation stage, you’re advised to wash both the face and hands with warm water to get rid of germs.