5 Best Rotary Laser Levels 2018 – Detailed Review
Rotary Laser Levels are used to provide level laser line of about 360 degrees as a reference level. If you’re searching for the best Rotary Laser Level Reviews – this is the right place for you. These gadgets can be used on all types of sites – be it pouring concrete, laying tiles, installing drop-ceilings, installing chair nails and so much more. However, what you have to note is that some models are for indoor use while others can be used both indoor & outdoor. Rotary Laser Levels can be manual / automatic – the choice is yours to make depending on your site demands. On this list I have featured 5 Best Rotary Laser Levels – 2018. Check them out below.
TOP 5 CONTENDERS – 2018:
- Johnson-Level-Tool-99-006K-Self-Leveling Rotary Laser System – Check Price on Amazon *********Best Outdoor & Indoor Rotary Laser Level – popular for its laser rotation speeds of 200,300,600 rpm and visual and audible alarms
- Topcon RL-H4C Rotary Laser Horizontal Level Dry Battery – Check Price on Amazon constructed with a non-use automatic shut off of 30 minutes and an height of adjustment alert
- Bosch GLL 2-20 360-Degree Self-Leveling Line and Cross Laser – Check Price on Amazon contains three-line selection modes and a smart pendulum system
- DEWALT DW0811 Self Leveling 360 Degree Line and Vertical Line Laser – Check Price on Amazon built with a full-time pulse mode and a vertical adjust base
- Bosch GRL400H Self-Leveling Rotary Laser with Laser Receiver – Check Price on Amazon is constructed with a LR1 rotary laser receiver as well as a dual-sided LCD display unit
- What Is The Best Laser Level
- What Is The Best Self-Leveling Cross Line Laser
- What Is The Best Laser Distance Meter
- What Is The Best Cordless Drill
WHAT TO LOOK FOR WHEN BUYING A ROTARY LASER LEVEL SYSTEM?
- Laser detectors; a laser detector first of all is a device that is used to detect a laser line that can’t be easily seen or isn’t visible enough. Now usually the rotary laser will have a red pick-up window and an internal electronics to show you the center of the laser line through the LED, audible sounds or even an LCD with bold arrows for up and down. So laser detectors are very important because depending on the work you are going to perform either indoors or outdoors. When you are working outdoors, you will definitely require a laser detector to help you pick up the laser beam which your eyes aren’t able to see. Whereas when working indoors, you will require the laser detector to assist you over 20m as the eyes might not see the light beams that far but if it’s less than 20m then you can use your naked eyes unless of course the room is brightly sunlit. Some of the rotary laser levels in this article with this features includes; Johnson self leveling Rotary Laser System, Bosch GRL400H Self-Leveling Rotary Laser
- Task requirements; the kind of jobs that you are also going to use with the rotary laser level is also very important when you are buying one. Like if you are working in a room like an entire room then you will need a 360 degree beam while if the areas you are operating at is really large then its best to buy a rotary laser level that is contains a wireless remote control to help you easily accomplish the task. If you are mainly going to work outdoors the make sure that the visibility of the beam is clear and so you can choose models that have eye glasses so that you easily see the beam lights. Like Johnson self leveling Rotary Laser System includes a tinted laser beam enhancement glasses.
- Mounting threads; these rotary laser levels should at all times be mounted on generally level and firm surfaces as well like on a concrete block or a window ledge. This way it will be able to create a datum point from which the laser is able to measure all the other points of reference. To be more on a convenient side then you will have to choose a vast range of accessories so as to aid the stable mounting and positioning of your laser level starting with wall brackets to tripods and laser poles. All these accessories contain either a small 1/4” or a larger 5/8” mounting thread. So make sure that you match the thread to your tool cautiously with that of the accessory.
- Battery life; you should also look out for rotary laser levels that have a very powerful battery life that is able to last very many hours of continuous use to avoid constant interruptions while at the job site. There are some few lucky models that do come with additional batteries to save you from the cost of buying another one. These best units that are ones with battery low indicators and also auto shut off when the unit isn’t in use after a period of time.
5 BEST ROTARY LASER LEVEL SYSTEM – 2018 SELECTION:
- Johnson-Level-Tool-99-006K-Self-Leveling Rotary Laser System
- A Locking mechanism
- 90° split beam
- 200, 400, 600 rpm laser rotation speeds
- Visual and audible alarms
- Self leveling in the horizontal plane
- 4 “AA” alkaline batteries
- Manual leveling in the vertical plane
- 18 pounds in item weight
- An enclosed beacon
- 2 x 12.2 x 55.8 inches in dimensions
- A soft-sided carrying case
- Hard-wearing high-impact composite housing
- A red beam laser detector
- A grade rod and rod mounting bracket
- A tinted laser beam enhancement glasses
Johnson self leveling Rotary Laser System is created for accomplished homeowners and tradesmen that are working for outdoors and indoors. When you are using it outdoors then this Johnson self leveling Rotary Laser System contains a red beam laser detector that contains a grade rod and a grade rod mounting bracket as well. The performance of this rotary laser level is very easy as all you will do is simply unlock the transportation lock and then after turn it on and then it will be able to laser itself in both x and y axis. And if you want top versatility in performance then this rotary laser can be used vertically or even horizontally. What makes this Johnson self leveling Rotary Laser System one of the very best is that it contains up to three rotational speeds of 200, 400 and 600 RPM allowing it be very versatile and it is able to project a red beam of light 360. Now the slower rotational speeds have the ability to improve beam visibility whereas the higher speeds are ideal for the outdoor use along with a detector. Now when you use it in the horizontal plane then the laser will be self-leveling and then in the vertical application it will be manually leveled. Another great performance of this rotary laser level is through the spilt beam that institutes a 90 degree angle on it. It also comes with a unique feature of the enclosed beacon that is designed to protect the inner mechanism from dirt and water. The housing is constructed using long lasting high impact composite that is jobsite tough. There is a powerful locking mechanism that is designed to protect the inner pendulum especially during its transportation. Finally this rotary laser level also contains visual and audible alarms on it that will alarm when it’s beyond the leveling range.
- Operates at various speeds; the fact that this Johnson self leveling Rotary Laser System is able to operate at various speeds means that it is extremely versatile allowing it be perfect for any kind of task that you need to accomplish. It is able to operate at different laser speeds of 200, 400 and 600 RPM. All you have to do is basically switch to the different speeds found on it depending on the job at hand. If you want to enhance the beam visibility then you will have to make use of the lower speeds while if you are working outdoors then you will have to utilize the higher speeds.
- Contains an enclosed beacon; this is one of the best rotary laser levels that contains an enclosed beacon that serves the main purpose of protecting the inner components of tools. This way the components inside will be protected from dirt and water that might cause damage to the laser tool components. This way your tools will be protected at all times and it will definitely last a lot longer in top condition.
- Notification alarms; this Johnson self leveling Rotary Laser System is constructed with an audible and visual alarms as well to notify you while you are operating it. Its main purpose is to inform you when you end up going beyond the leveling range that it can reach. This way you will always be able to remain within the leveling range at all times and not go beyond it especially unknowingly.
- Durable composite housing; you will definitely get the value of money spent purchasing this Johnson self leveling Rotary Laser System because of its durable composite housing. This way you will rest assured the inner components are secure as the material allows it be able to accomplish the various job sites without any harm. All the job site hazards won’t be a problem with this housing and the tools will remain safe especially during transportation.
- Doesn’t have a sturdy construction; the tools that are found on this Johnson self leveling Rotary Laser System don’t really have a sturdy construction as compared to the other competing brands. Like for example rod contains an outer painting that easily scratches off which means that it won’t be very durable in the long run.
2. Topcon RL-H4C Rotary Laser Horizontal Level Dry Battery
- 10 arc second accuracy
- 2-way communication system
- Height of adjustment alert
- 2 LCD displays
- 600 RPM in full gear rotation
- Machine control compatible
- Horizontal leveling
- 80 hours of continuous use battery
- 3 pounds in weight
- High-power 2.4mW diode
- 7 x 8.5 x 7.7 inches in dimensions
- Red laser beam color
- 5 degrees leveling
- Non-use 30 minutes automatic shut off
- Dual handle design
- A 5 year limited warranty
Topcon RL-H4C Rotary Laser Level is an automatic leveling laser that is constructed with the ability to bring together precision, versatility and value all in a single job site tough package. It is helped using its super quick self leveling motors that are accurate to +/-10 arch seconds which means that be it you are just checking grade or you are setting batter boards you will still be able to obtain accuracy the very first time. The high power 2.4mW diode means that you will have 2,600ft (800m) in diameter of the working radius allowing it have a greater performance especially for machine mounted receivers and the leveling will be within 5 degrees. This rotary laser level is also constructed with a slope matching design that makes it an exceptional tool for excavating. It is also a self-leveling laser that is able to rotate fully at a 600 RPM in full gear. It is also able to automatically re-level itself once it has knocked out of position using a great accuracy of +/-10 arc seconds in angular measurements. The laser receiver feature is used to expand the range of this Topcon RL-H4C Rotary Laser Level to its full operating range. The kind of battery used on this rotary laser level is dry and rechargeable with a powerful continuous use of up to 100 hours and then 30 minutes automatic shut off when it’s not in use. The better part is that the unit contains a low battery indicator as well as an out of level alert system that operates on the 2-way communication unit. Its accuracy options are normal and fine while there are also two LCD displays with one situated at the front and the other at the rear. The upgraded dual handle design makes it very easy to maneuver this horizontal level. Finally the materials used to construct it are weather resistant and IP66 water resistant and dust proof.
- Slope matching design; this Topcon RL-H4C Rotary Laser Level has been developed with a slope matching design that is important as it is a powerful tool that is used for excavating. This slope matching feature lets you have a simple grade setting using the two arrow buttons found on the unit. All you have to do is simply press the button so as to start tilting the laser and then repeat pressing it again when the sensor receives laser on grade.
- Super fast self-leveling motors; this Topcon RL-H4C Rotary Laser Level is constructed with an extremely fast self-leveling motors that are very accurate to a +/-10 arc seconds. This means that regardless of what you are doing like either checking grade or setting the batter boards, you will still be able to obtain the same accuracy from the very first time. This means that there won’t be any room for delay in results or inaccurate results either.
- 100 hours of battery life; this Topcon RL-H4C Rotary Laser Level is designed to operate with one of the very best batteries that you will come across delivering up to 100 hours of non-stop use. These hours will be able to allow you accomplish your tasks regardless of what type it is before you can charge again because it is rechargeable. This battery is also constructed along with an automatic 30 minutes shut off when it is not in use allowing you save some battery for the next use.
- Indicators; whenever you reach the out of the level or even when your battery is running low then we assured to be alerted using the indicator system that is found on this Topcon RL-H4C Rotary Laser Level. This battery low indicator and the level alert system works on the 2-way communication unit so that it can indicate at the same time in case you have a low battery or have reached beyond the level.
- Limited for small plumbing contractors; this Topcon RL-H4C Rotary Laser Level is mainly designed for the small plumbing contractors because it can’t be set to certain particular slopes automatically which is important for the pipeline contractors as they need to easily maneuver through both the horizontal and vertical slopes and so on.
3. Bosch GLL 2-20 360-Degree Self-Leveling Line and Cross Laser
- Three line selection modes
- Smart pendulum system
- 360-degree horizontal line
- Locks when switched off
- 120-degree vertical line
- Four-mode functionality
- Line and cross laser
- Tripod thread
- Lightweight of 4 pounds
- out-of-level condition indication
- Dimensions of 11 x 4.8 x 10.5 inches
- retractable feet
Bosch GLL 2-20 Self-Leveling Line and Cross Laser is the kind that will endeavor to provide you with daily precision and convenience with its simplicity of use. It comes with a horizontal line coverage that is designed to provide the user with the ability to line up an entire room from a single setup point. It does this through the 360 degree horizontal line along with a projection of 120 degree vertical line that is created for leveling, alignment and finally layout applications allowing you have cross-line applications. Most importantly is that this Bosch GLL 2-20 Self-Leveling Line and Cross Laser contains a three line selection mode that includes the project lines jointly or separately through cross line, vertical and the 360-degree horizontal. Another unique feature is the smart pendulum system that features a self- leveling function as well as an indication of out-of-level condition so that you can make adjustments when that happens. When this Bosch GLL 2-20 Self-Leveling Line and Cross Laser is turned off especially when you have to travel then the pendulum lock will automatically lock the unit so that the unit is protected providing a safe transport to the jobsites. This rotary laser level also comes with a tripod thread that measures ¼-in-20 thread to allow making use of it in BM3 mount positioning device as it easily attaches to the laser so that you have a precise positioning system. Finally this Bosch GLL 2-20 Self-Leveling Line and Cross Laser also contains a four mode functionality that does include the single horizontal, single vertical, vertical/horizontal together and then the manual/lock modes.
- 360 degree horizontal line; this Bosch GLL 2-20 Self-Leveling Line and Cross Laser is constructed with a 360 horizontal line which is very good because it lets the user of it be able to project a laser reference line around the room with high levels of accuracy. This way you will be able to quickly set up level and allowing you to work in the different parts of the room at the same time rather than go back and forth. It comes with a 65 feet diameter range and then accuracy level at ± 3/16 inch. This way you will be able to accomplish the particular task you will easily with excellent results in short period of time.
- Smart simplifies things; this Bosch GLL 2-20 Self-Leveling Line and Cross Laser contains a smart pendulum system that is designed to make the operation and use of it much simpler. This smart pendulum system is able to provide one time setup, self-leveling and an indicator for the out-of-level so that you always remain on track. Another good side to this smart pendulum system is that, it is able to allow the system automatically lock when it has been switched off. This lock will then protect the components that are very sensitive so that you can safely transport them and reach them in top condition.
- Great versatility; this Bosch GLL 2-20 Self-Leveling Line and Cross Laser comes with a great level of versatility especially with the four functionality modes that is constructed on it. These four mode functionalities include the single horizontal, single vertical, horizontal/vertical mixture and then finally the manual/lock modes that will all assist you accomplish tasks easily. It is able to allow the user e able to project two lines separately of collectively so that they can have a wide display of level or plumb applications. The manual mode that is found on it allows you be able to project the line at any given angle making this rotary laser level be very versatile.
- Easily mounts; this Bosch GLL 2-20 Self-Leveling Line and Cross Laser is able to easily be mounted on any given surface without a lot of complications. It comes with a BM3 positioning device that is able to easily hold the laser and then attach the objects for an accurate positioning. It also comes together with a 1/4 inch -20 tripod thread, retractable feet, a ceiling grid clamp and strong magnets plus a screw hole so that you perfectly mount it.
- Doesn’t work well outdoors; it seems this Bosch GLL 2-20 Self-Leveling Line and Cross Laser is mainly designed for indoor usage. This is because when you decide to use it outdoors then the laser won’t be visible especially in the sunlight making it almost not an outdoor rotary laser level.
4. DEWALT DW0811 Self Leveling 360 Degree Line and Vertical Line Laser
- Full-time pulse mode
- Simulates functionality
- Locking pendulum
- Self Leveling 360 Degree Line
- IP54 water/debris resistance
- Vertical-adjust base
- Over-molded housing
- 4 pounds in weight
- 10 x 10 x 9 inches in dimensions
- Requires 3AAA batteries
- 3 year warranty
DEWALT DW0811 Line and Vertical Line Laser is the kind that will create functionality of the rotary laser and then be able to project bright crossing vertical and horizontal lines. First of all, it is a self leveling rotary laser level that is able to have a 360 degree line in the jobline allowing you reach all areas at the same time through projecting a single beam of light at a 360 degree so as to create a horizontal plane. It is also a combination and class 2-laser that comes with three types of settings on it that is created to let the user be able to utilize the three dissimilar options of laser lines. This means that the horizontal and the vertical settings that are found on it can be merged to create a cross hair line. This way the plum line laser line will be able to project a line that is 180 degrees vertically while the level laser line will be able to project a line that is 180 degrees horizontally and finally the 360 degree level line will project a single beam of light to create a horizontal line at 360 degrees. The main performance of the vertical-adjust base that is found on it is to provide a easy set up as well as a fine tune adjustment together with the 1/4” and 5/8” thread mount created for versatility. On the other hand, the full-time pulse mode will permits use with the detector so as to maintain full brightness for visibility. Its construction consists of a design over-molded housing that is very durable as well as an IP54 water/debris resistance to protect the DEWALT DW0811 Line and Vertical Line Laser. Finally it is also constructed with a locking pendulum that performs through assisting prevent any sort of damages to the components that are internally especially when you are transporting them.
- A full time pulse mode; this brilliant DEWALT DW0811 Line and Vertical Line Laser is created with a full time pulse mode on it that is a good advantage to have. This is because this full time pulse mode is created to allow this laser be used along with a detector and also it can be able to reach up to a 165 feet range allowing you cover a wider area at a time. This line created will be extremely visible up to the 165 range that you won’t struggle to find it.
- Easy control; this DEWALT DW0811 Line and Vertical Line Laser comes with one of the easiest controls allowing its performance to be quick and easy. This is because it is built with three buttons that are designed to assist control the laser options as well as the locking button so that you secure the laser pendulum and prevent damages especially during transportation and storage of the internal components. These three button controls are also responsible for controlling the three settings like the level, plumb and then the 360 degree coverage easily.
- Two indicator alerts; this DEWALT DW0811 Line and Vertical Line Laser is constructed with two indicator alerts to help notify the user on a number of things. It is basically a small red LED that is created to provide a visual indication to the user when the laser is not level and then also the laser line will pulse when it’s not level or plumb as well. This will act as a reminder and notify you so that you can make the corrections and then it can operate accurately.
- Durable; when it comes to durability, this DEWALT DW0811 Line and Vertical Line Laser is almost unmatched. There is a pendulum lock that is placed at the very front to help protect the laser especially duration transportation and storage so that they are not damaged easily. It also consists of a generous rubber over mold that is also created to protect the outer housing of this rotary laser level and then it is also created to meet the IP54 water/debris resistance. With all these features along with a sturdy, metal clasp molded case that is created to protect the laser when stowed, you will definitely have this DEWALT DW0811 Line and Vertical Line Laser in a good working condition for very long.
- Hard to see lines in bright lights; this is a very great and effective rotary laser level but the only problem now is that the lines are really hard to see especially in bright lights like for example outdoors during the bright sunny days. This way you will mainly restrict its use indoors especially during such days.
5. Bosch GRL400H Self-Leveling Rotary Laser with Laser Receiver
- LR1 rotary laser receiver
- Robust design
- A glass enclosed cage
- A single button operation
- Range of 1300-Feet (400m) with detector
- Up to 50 hours of battery life
- Laser Diode of 65nm class 2
- Accuracy of Up to 3/32-Inch at 100-Feet
- Dual-sided LCD display
- Weight of 14.3 pounds
- 7 x 15.7 x 8.7 inches in product dimensions
- Self leveling
- Limited 3 years warranty
Bosch GRL400H Self-Leveling Rotary Laser is the first in this category with a laser receiver and perhaps the best you will ever come across. This advanced laser receiver is able to grant a rapid horizontal self-leveling as well as an accurate line. This same receiver also has the ability to be extremely accurate at long distances of up to 1300 feet by extending the distance that is available. You will also find a easily readable LCD display that performs through providing a user with very clear visual readout on both sides of the receiver. Its merging of usability and function makes it a very ideal tool for every kind of contractor and professionals that are specializing in the interior as well as exterior construction. This rotary laser level also comes with a disturbance monitor that is constructed to alert the user to any disruptions saving you a lot of time on the job site. Another amazing performance of this Bosch GRL400H Self-Leveling Rotary Laser is the efficient single button operation that allows you start work quickly and without any timely set ups involved at all. There is a mounting bracket that is found on the receiver and it easily assembles and holds securely and this way you will be able to acquire fast and precise leveling applications. This Bosch GRL400H Self-Leveling Rotary Laser is also built with a robust design that contains a glass enclosed cage that will ensure better protection and an IP65 water/dust resistance. Finally, has a very powerful battery life with up to 50 hours of continuous use which is important as it will help you keep working till the end without any interruptions
- Efficient single button operation; if it’s your first time using a rotary laser level then you won’t have to go about guessing which button you should touch first and if it’s not your first time then you will appreciate the easiness of operating this Bosch GRL400H Self-Leveling Rotary Laser with just a single button operation. With this kind of operation, it means that you will get the job done quickly and then also you won’t waste much time on the setups like in the case of other rotary laser levels.
- Laser receiver; the kind of receiver found on this Bosch GRL400H Self-Leveling Rotary Laser is the LR1 rotary laser receiver that makes this unit very powerful as compared to the ones without. This unit is created to assist extend the distance available so that it can aid in detection up to 1300 feet. This way it is able to ensure a rapid horizontal self-leveling and precise line over a distance both indoors and outdoors.
- Dual-side LCD display; the LCD display light found on this Bosch GRL400H Self-Leveling Rotary Laser is not only single sided like most of them but rather double sided making it very unique and also very helpful at the same time. This LCD display is very readable and it will provide the user with a very clear visual readout at all times on both sides of the receiver.
- Sturdy construction; this Bosch GRL400H Self-Leveling Rotary Laser has been constructed with a solid top housing assembly that contains a protected glass-enclosed cage placed around the head assembly. This puts its level of protection high above the rest and makes it easily usable outdoors even under poor weather conditions. This is because it contains a weatherproof build that is registered IP65 and maintains the laser protected from moisture and rain. It also comes with two carrying handles that are very durable so as to make its transportation simple.
- Long battery life; this Bosch GRL400H Self-Leveling Rotary Laser is constructed with a very powerful battery life that allows it be able to have up to 50 hours of use in battery life. This way you will be able to accomplish your tasks quickly because there won’t be any interruptions in power shortage.
- Quickly shuts off; it is unfortunate that the receiver and the sound of this Bosch GRL400H Self-Leveling Rotary Laser easily shuts off automatically when it’s not in use. This wouldn’t have been an issue but now the problem is that it takes a very short time of non-use to shut off like of approximately less than 10 minutes. This can be very interrupting especially when you are in the middle of a task.
*****OUR BEST CHOICE****
Johnson-Level-Tool-99-006K-Self-Leveling Rotary Laser System
WHAT MAKES JOHNSON LEVEL TOOL 99006K OUR BEST CHOICE?
- Contains a soft-sided carrying case
- A locking unit
- Audible and visual alarms
- Durable high impact composite housing
- Laser rotation speeds of 200, 400, 600 RPM
- An enclosed beacon
- Beam laser detector
- 90 degree spilt beam
- A self leveling in the horizontal plane
- Tinted laser beam enhancement glassed
- Manual leveling in vertical lane
- Grade rod and mounting bracket
- Lightweight with 18 pounds
- Powerful 4 AA alkaline batteries
This marks the end of this detailed review on the ‘’Best Rotary Laser Level Review – 2018. Bookmark this post for future reference.