What Is The Best Coffee Grinder – 2018 Detailed Reviews
Without doubt, the quality of your brew will depend on the fineness (superior quality) of your coffee beans. They have to be well grounded (to the finest size). But since we have different types of coffee grinders on the market, results will differ.
Some people prefer manual coffee grinders to electric ones, but if you’re a regular coffee drinker; you will get tired of grinding coffee manually. May be the only thing you have to do is to grind lots of beans and keep them in a cool dry place (well covered to preserve their aroma).
OUR 6 BEST CHOICES – 2018:
- Baratza Vario 886 – Flat Ceramic Coffee Grinder – Check Price on Amazon***** ****This new Baratza Vario 886 combines both ease-of-use with high-end-technology to effectively grind fresh coffee beans to the finest size without losing any flavor / scent thus making high quality espresso. It has a sleek design – so you can easily fit it anywhere (could be your kitchen, office, cafe…etc…)…..******FEATURES****55mm ceramic flat burrs (these produce accurate grinding – they’re always sharp and able to grind 1.6 grams per second at Espresso setting / 2.2 grams per second at French Press setting thus making it the best coffee grinder for French press & espresso..range of grind ”230 microns & 1150 microns) , Digital Control Panel (mounted at the front of the appliance – with a LED display), Programmable buttons (you can easily select grind settings in less than 0.1 seconds), Grind Adjustment (Choose between Macro & Micro adjust – move from espresso to french press with a macro adjust & the micro adjust will further grind the beans), Grinds Left in Grinder (this minimizes on the ground coffee left in the grinder thus maximizing on the freshness of the brew), High Torque DC motor (this drives the burrs smoothly – its slow but very effective), Porta holder (experience hands-free grinding), Preset Grind Time, Choose from Finer to Coarser…..*****PROS*****Quiet operation, Solid construction, Looks great, Effective Porta filter Holder, Programmable Timing, Lots of fine tune settings, Small footprint,…Consistent Grinding Which Results Into Excellent Espresso….BEST BURR COFFEE GRINDER (GOOD FOR ESPRESSO & FRENCH PRESS)
- Rancilio HSD-ROC-SD Rocky Espresso Coffee Grinder – Check Price on Amazon****This Burr Coffee Grinder features 50mm grinding burr plates – commonly found in commercial grinders – so it is capable of grinding up to 7.7lbs per hour. It has a very powerful drive motor ”166 watt” which spines at 1725 Rounds Per Minute; however, much as the motor is that powerful – the appliance is quiet during operation. …….******FEATURES******50mm commercial grade grinding burrs, 0.65lb capacity tinted hopper, Variable grinder adjustment control, 166-watt motor, Grinds beans directly into porta filter for smooth operation, Small foot print, High quality build-up..….****PROS****Operates quietly, Great for both Espresso and Coffee, Compact design, Delivers consistent quality grinds for espresso / French press, Cheaper than Baratza Vario 886, All purpose grinder…..GREAT FOR ESPRESSO & COFFEE
- Breville BCG820BSSXL The Smart Grinder Pro Coffee Bean Grinder – Check Price on Amazon****I’m a great fun of Breville appliances – By far they’re the best and I’m surprised that Breville BCG820BSSXL is well priced because in most cases; most of their products come at a high price. If you’re searching for an affordable coffee grinder, this is the best choice for you – It’s a smart grinder with stainless still conical burrs……***FEATURES****60 precise grind settings (choose from finest Espresso grind – Coarsest French Press Grind), Electronic Timer (this one allows you to easily adjust grind time), 16oz coffee bean capacity (features a lock system which makes it easy to remove the bean hopper), Grinds directly into the porta filter, Paper / Gold tone filter basket……Stainless Steel conical burrs (these are designed to minimize grinding heat thus protecting all essential oils in the coffee bean)……*****PROS*****Very easy to use, effective, Looks great, Good for home coffee enthusiast…..AFFORDABLE CONICAL BURR COFFEE GRINDER
- Baratza Virtuoso – Conical Burr Coffee Grinder – Check Price on Amazon ****This is another conical burr coffee grinder from Baratza, however, it comes at a lower price as compared to that of Baratza Vario 886. You can use it to make grinds for espresso – Its 40mm conical burrs consistently grind coffee beans for Espresso / French Press…..*****FEATURES******Electric and gear speed reducers (These slow down the burr plates so that they move at 450 Rounds Per Minute – this slow speed guarantees you with smooth & fine grinds and it also cuts down on the noise made by the motor), Front-mounted pulse button (this makes it easy to grind directly into an espresso filter basket), 40 adjustable settings, Timer Switch (60-second timer)…….****PROS****High quality grind, Consistent grind,….BEST CONICAL BURR COFFEE GRINDER
- KitchenAid KCG0702ER Burr Coffee Grinder – Check Price on Amazon ****As small as it looks – KitchenAid-KCG0702ER is designed for ultimate performance and Excellency. It uses stainless steel burrs to grind coffee beans consistently – select from 15 grind levels to get customized results. It has a medium sized glass hopper capable of holding 7 oz of whole coffee beans which you can grind for French Press Coffee, Espresso or anything between…..****FEATURES**** 15 grind settings, Stainless steel cutting burrs, 7 oz. glass bean hopper, Sleek design, Burrs turn at 450 (rpm) Rounds Per Minute…….*****PROS****Consistent grinding, Very easy to clean, Good for French Press & Espresso, Small foot print (this makes it easy to store), Awesome design (looks beautiful), not messy….BEST BURR COFFEE GRINDER FOR MONEY
- KRUPS Electric Spice and Coffee Grinder – Check Price on Amazon**** I dedicate KRUMPS F203 grinder to coffee lovers with small budgets. You don’t have to miss-out on that favorite cup of coffee every morning simply because you can’t afford high-end models. KRUMPS has catered for your needs by inventing this wonderful coffee grinder with stainless steel blades. It can be used to grind both coffee beans and spices (no limitations here….)…...*****FEATURES***** 200-watt motor, Grinds up to 3 ounces of coffee beans, Stainless Steel blades (These ensure uniform grinding)…….****PROS*****Easy to operate, Easy to Clean, Quick, Quite and Very Affordable……..BEST COFFEE GRINDER FOR THE MONEY…..
- What Is The Best French Press
- What Is the Best Coffee Maker
- What Is The Best Espresso Machine
- What Is The Best Milk Frother
- What Is The Best Bread Maker
- What Is The Best Electric Tea Kettle
- What Is The Best Waffle Maker
- What Is The Best Toaster
WHAT TO LOOK FOR WHEN SHOPPING FOR A COFFEE GRINDER FOR THE FIRST TIME?
The main purpose of these appliances is to grind those high quality coffee beans to the finest size so that you get the right coffee / espresso cup. However, during the grinding process, your coffee beans should not lose there freshness and aroma – but this can only be achieved if you use a premium model. Some high quality coffee grinders you can check out include; KitchenAid KCG0702ER Burr Coffee Grinder, Breville BCG820BSSXL The Smart Grinder Pro Coffee Bean Grinder,Baratza Vario 886 – Flat Ceramic Coffee Grinder, KRUPS F203 Electric Spice & Coffee Grinder and Rancilio HSD-ROC-SD Rocky Coffee Grinder.
WHAT TO LOOK FOR?
- GRID SETTINGS:- Good coffee grinders feature between 5 – 60 adjustable grind settings. These settings will give you a chance to choose the right grind size basing on the type of coffee / espresso you want to make. For example, people who want deep strong coffee; will want very fine coffee beans – in this case, they have to opt for a setting which grinds beans to its finest size. Premium models like ”Baratza Vario 886 – Flat Ceramic Coffee Grinder” feature 230 precise grind settings – you can choose from the finest Espresso to the coarsest French Press Grind. Other models like Breville BCG820BSSXL feature precision electronic timer which gives you an option to adjust grind time in 0.2 second increment – with this kind of feature, you will be in position customize the machine and get the best results.
- BEAN HOPPER CAPACITY:- I’m sure you don’t want to be wasting your precious time grinding coffee beans every-time you need a good cup of coffee / espresso. In that case, you have to opt for a model with a big hopper capacity – one which can grind more coffee beans (note: choose a model which fits your coffee drinking habits). For example, if you drink lots of coffee in a day, you need to opt for a model with a large capacity hopper – a good model for you will be ”Breville BCG820BSSXL The Smart Grinder Pro Coffee Bean Grinder”. It has a 16 Oz bean hopper capacity which grinds more beans than other traditional models out there on the market.
On the other hand, if you don’t drink too much coffee, opt for a model with an average capacity. A good example is ”KitchenAid KCG0702ER” it features 7 Oz. Glass Bean Hopper and Grind Jar which you can easily refill or clean after grinding your coffee.
- SPEED:- We have two types of coffee grinders. (Fast & Slow models) – But a grinder with a low RPM operation will offer you with the finest and tasty coffee. Much as it might take you a while to finish the grinding process, results will be tremendous. A good example of a grinder with a low RPM operation is Baratza Vario 886 – Flat Ceramic Coffee Grinder – it features a very powerful high torque DC motor which slowly drives burrs to grind beans to the finest size. This is the right machine for people who want high quality coffee / espresso. On the other hand, if you want something fast, you can opt for KRUPS F203 Electric Spice and Coffee Grinder, this affordable model – uses a 200-watt motor which spins blades so fast to grind beans in a very short period of time. But the taste and quality of beans grounded by this model is quite different from that produced by ”Baratza Vario 886”
- BURRS:- Some models feature stainless steel burrs and others have ceramic burrs. The build-up material of these burrs can also affect / determine the size/quality of grounds produced by the machine. Stainless burrs are very strong and accurate however, during the grinding process, they can heat-up (so your grounds will come out hot and electrified). On the other hand, ceramic burrs produce accurate grinding without electrifying your grounds so the tasty of your espresso/ cup of coffee will be better & tasty.
LIST OF 10 BEST COFFEE GRINDERS – 2017 REVIEWS:
- Baratza Vario 886 – Flat Ceramic Coffee Grinder ***** Best espresso coffee grinder
In position 1 we have Baratza Vario 886 – Flat Ceramic Burr Coffee Grinder. Majority of coffee / espresso drinkers compare Baratza Vario 886 with Breville BCG820BSSXL . Some how these two perform the same way, however, Baratza Vario 886 seems to be more advanced than our Breville BCG820BSSXL . It is a premium model and very efficient though it comes at a huge price – however, it worth your investment. On the other hand, if you find this model very expensive to you – opt for Breville BCG820BSSXL; it will do almost the same job though not exact as Baratza.
This brand new Baratza Vario 886 is a perfect example for a high quality coffee grinder. It is a professional grade grinder which you can use anywhere (kitchen / cafe). It does not take up too much space on your kitchen counter top (small foot print) yet it features 230 distinct and repeatable grind settings (Right from fine grind for espresso to course grind for pot).
USER FRIENDLY:- Baratza Vario 886 has a detailed easy-to-use control panel featuring all essential settings and buttons you need to use to set the right grind size for your coffee beans. Its design is not as fancy as Breville BCG820BSSXL but settings are well displayed in that an 8 year old can easily figure out what to do with this machine. Its intuitive macro/micro adjustments will help you set the right grind for an espresso cup. But if you want something different (not espresso), you can slide the lever to a different setting and switch from espresso to a different type of coffee. Also Breville BCG820BSSXL is very easy to set and adjust, but Baratza Vario 886’s manual lever makes it my best choice. Each setting is well marked; you can switch the machine from smart to manual with just a single button. And the LCD display screen will clearly show the status of your grind.
DOSE SETTING:- Baratza Vario 886 features digital timers and programmable buttons which you can use to set the right coffee dosage. This will save you time and it will guarantee you with the right dosage every time you use this machine. Those programmable buttons (Preset Grind Time) make accurate one-touch dosing and repeatable grind times.
CERAMIC FLAT BURRS:- Baratza Vario 886’s ceramic flat burrs have a diameter of 54mm which provides accurate and fast grinding. These ceramic burrs remain sharp even after grinding the hardest beans. Brivelle uses stainless steel burrs but according to Baratza, their ceramic burrs are stronger than steel burs. I don’t agree with that because by default steel is stronger. May be cera burrs perform better but they are not stronger than steel.
BREWING METHODS:- Baratza Vario 886 is an exceptional coffee grinder. It can be use for espresso or manual pour brewing methods. Choose what suits you best.
MOTOR:- Baratza Vario 886 has a very powerful motor which moves at a slow speed to ensure accuracy. Its high torque DC motor endlessly drives the ceramic burrs to grind those coffee beans and offer you with the best results. Since the motor is slow, less noise is made when grinding beans.
2. Rancilio HSD-ROC-SD Rocky Coffee Grinder
In position 2 we have Rancilio HSD-ROC-SD Rocky Coffee Grinder.It has got a 9.4/10 customer rating on Amazon which makes it one of our best choices for this year. Rancilio HSD-ROC-SD has 50mm commercial grinding burrs which will offer you with the finest grind. It somehow works like Breville BCG820BSSXL because coffee beans are grounded directly into the porta filter hence minimizing on your work and at the same time reducing on coffee dust. In terms of wattage, it uses 160-watts (less than what KRUPS F203’s 200-watts).
Its tinted see-through hopper glass has 0.65lb capacity, so you can use it to prepare 12 cups of coffee. Grind settings are quite easy so you can easily choose the right size of your grinds.
DESIGN:- I have to admit that Baratza Vario 886 (featured in position 1) has the best design and easy to use control panel. Simply have a look at Rancilio HSD-ROC-SD’ s design, it is somehow confusing, the control panel & grind settings are below the coffee bean hopper so an 8 year old child might fail to use this model. The only thing I love about Rancilio HSD-ROC-SD’s design is its classic finish, but that Doserless Plastic Chute does not seem to be durable and strong.
Since some parts of this coffee grinder are more likely to get damaged with time, It will be good to provide you with a few suggestions on what you should buy with Rancilio HSD-ROC-SD coffee grinder. (1) – Doserless Plastic Chute Replacement for Rancilio Rocky Grinde, (2) – Rancilio Rocky Grinder Burrs – these will take long to wear out.
SPEED:- All premium coffee grinders have low spinning motor speed (this guarantees you with fine results), however, this model spins at 1725 RPM (Rounds Per Minute). The only advantage with this is that you will be in position to grind up to 7.7lbs per hour which is a pretty good thing especially when you want to grind too much coffee. However, this high speed can affect the quality of grinds and I have seen some users of this grinder complaining about the size & quality of grinds. Some say it is a good machine for espresso. So, before investing your money in this grinder, read through customer reviews on Amazon and make the right decision. If you’re not sure of its performance, please check out other models featured on this list.
UPGRADED DESIGN:- ‘’ Rancilio HSD-ROC-SS Rocky Coffee Grinder’’
Rancilio HSD-ROC-SS‘s design has been revised but the control panel is still at the bottom of the hopper which makes it hard to use. This time we have a doser chamber where grounded coffee beans go after grinding. This replaced the Doseless Plastic Chute part found on Rancilio HSD-ROC-SD. But other than that, the rest is still the same.
3. Breville BCG820BSSXL The Smart Grinder Pro Coffee Bean Grinder
Breville BCG820BSSXL Smart Grinder Pro Coffee Bean Grinder comes in 3 great colors and these include; Brushed Stainless Steel, Cranberry Red and Sesame Black. So you can choose from any of those 3 colors and improve on the looks of your kitchen. Putting the color issue on the side, I want us to concentrate on what Breville BCG820BSSXL can do for you. It is categorized as a smart coffee bean grinder equipped with stainless steel conical burrs designed to reduce grinding heat hence preserve all essential oils in your coffee beans (so your cup of coffee / espresso will have a good aroma and taste).
COMPARISON: Breville BCG820BSSXL is different from KitchenAid KCG0702ER , it has 60 precision grind settings yet KitchenAid KCG0702ER has 15 grind settings..This means you will have finer grinds (Espresso to the coarsest French Press Grind) with Breville BCG820BSSX. Actually, if I was not grading these products basing on customer ratings, Breville BCG820BSSXL would have been number one. This smart coffee grinder features a precision electronic timer which allows you to adjust grind time. This is a great feature because you get the chance to extend the grinding period hence getting better results.
CAPACITY:- This is the part I want to get to. Breville BCG820BSSXL handles 16 Oz of coffee beans. If I compare this to KitchenAid KCG0702ER’s 7 Oz, BCG820BSSXL wins the capacity competition. You will grind more coffee beans with BCG820BSSXL in a single minute than you would with KitchenAid KCG0702ER.
PRICE:- In terms of price, both Breville BCG820BSSXL and KitchenAid KCG0702ER are within the same price range . Not a bad price compared on the quality and efficiency of these two grinders. But BCG820BSSXL is a little bit cheaper than KitchenAid KCG0702ER
Breville BCG820BSSXL is a Smart Grinder, you can choose from 60 grind settings and get the finest grind for your cup of coffee. Remember, a perfect cup coffee requires freshly ground beans. You can adjust these settings until you get the right ground size.
After choosing the right settings, BCG820BSSXL will always use the same settings to provide you with the right dose. So you don’t have to reset it all the time. Just concentrate on enjoying the same type of coffee. However, if you feel like changing the test and strength of your coffee; adjust the settings and get a different ground size.
The black LCD screen clearly displays grind settings, so you can easily know the status of your grind. This digital display can also show you the total number of coffee cups you can get in a particular grind. BCG820BSSXL will grind your coffee beans directly into the porta filter, so your kitchen counter top won’t be left messy as other grinders do.
BCG820BSSXL is not loud; it is relatively quiet and very easy to clean. But some users say that the moment they use the pause feature to allow ground to settle, settings go back to zero so they have to reset it again. On the other hand, it is a very good machine for espresso drinkers. It makes the finest grind.
- Dosing IQ (the dose will automatically change as you adjust the grind size)
- Stainless steel conical burr grinder
- Construction (Stainless steel with plastic hopper)
- 60 grind settings
- Smart Grinder (Hands Free Operation)
- Hopper Capacity (450 gram)
- Removable Storage Hopper (very easy to clean)
- LCD Screen display
- Air tight hopper
- Voltage (110 – 120 Volts)
- Wattage (165 Watts)
- Grinds up to 12 cups
- Accessories (2 Porta-filter, air tight grinds container, cleaning brush
4. Baratza Virtuoso – Conical Burr Coffee Grinder**** best conical burr coffee grinder….
In position 4 we have Baratza Virtuoso – Conical Burr Coffee Grinder. If you have been searching for a conical burr grinder, Baratzo Virtuoso should be your choice. However, it is not the only conical burr grinder featured on this list. In position 7 we have a different brand / model called Capresso 565 Infinity Stainless Steel Conical Burr Grinder which is just like Baratza Virtuoso. So if you don’t get convinced by Baratza’s features and settings, you can opt for Capresso 565 Infinity.
DESIGN:- The first thing I noticed about this conical coffee grinder is its design. It has a sleek and classic design which can improve on the looks of your kitchen. According to Virtuoso, this model lives up to its name; it will offer you with consistent high quality grind. It’s exterior is finely tuned as its interior, the front-mounted pulse button allows the machine to grind directly into the espresso filter basket, yet the 60- second timer can easily be interrupted even when the machine is in use.
Unlike most coffee grinders on the market which heat-up / electrify grounded coffee, this model uses an efficient DC motor which keeps your beans cool, even when you extend grinding time. This conical burr grinder combines both electric and gear speed reducers to slow down the burr speed to 450 RPM (Rounds Per Minute), this slow speed operation ensures that each bean is grounded well, less noise is made, smooth been feed and it also eliminates heat thus offer you with cool grind.
- BURRS:- Unike Rancilio HSD-ROC-SD Rocky coffee grinder (featured in position 2) with 50mm burrs, Baratza Virtuoso’s conical burrs are only 40mm, but they grind coffee at 1.5 to 2.4 g/sec depending on the settings you have chosen. So the length of these conical burrs will not affect its performance that much.
- GEARBOX:- To improve on its performance and strength, Baratza has included a GB 2.0 gearbox. This has increased on the performance, strength and durability of the drive transmission yet at the same time it has decreased on the noise which is a pretty good thing.
- BREWING:- I’m sure you want to be in position to make any type of coffee. Good news is that Virtuoso can be adjusted to manual brewing. So you have full control of the machine. All you have to do to make different cups of coffee / espresso is to adjust settings.
5. KitchenAid KCG0702ER Burr Coffee Grinder **** Best burr coffee grinder for money
So far this is the best burr coffee grinder on the market but it will cost you some good money . According to research and different trials, it seems burr grinders make the finest grind. So if you always want to have a good cup of coffee / espresso, own one of these. This model is designed for ultimate performance; it is a reliable and durable grinder so invest your money in it with one heart. This model comes in one color ”Empire Red’‘ and I’m sure many of you would love this red kitchen appliance to be on your kitchen counter top, it will beautify it in a way you can’t imagine.
UNIQUENESS:- Not only does KitchenAid KCG0702ER look nice, but it has some unique features which make it stand out from the rest. For example, It uses stainless steel cutting burrs which cut and grind coffee beans to the finest particles. You can determine the size of ground coffee beans by selecting from 15 Grind settings. Its 7 Oz glass bean hopper and grind jar can take in more coffee beans than most grinders on the market.
SPEED:- KitchenAid KCG0702ER has a low 450 rpm (rounds per minute) operation system. Now; majority of you might be wondering why a Low RPM operating machine highly rated. The trick with Low RPM machines is ”perfection”. Grinding coffee beans requires perfection, because each bean has to be grounded to a selected size. All particles have to be of the same size.
If you’re a regular coffee drinker, KitchenAid should not be a rare brand to you. Most of their kitchen appliances are good so does KitchenAid KCG0702ER. This model has a strong motor and gear which moves at a very low speed to guarantee you with quality & fine coffee grinds. It offers you with 15 levels of fineness, so no matter which type of coffee / espresso you need; this KCG0702ER will have you covered. Much as it has a strong motor and gear, this model performs its duties quietly. However, the hopper gets clogged sometimes and this is a common thing in all coffee grinders, so it shouldn’t worry you. You can clear the feed & hopper from clogged coffee by shaking the grinder and then thumb it on the counter top once / twice.
- No Dust when grinding coffee beans: KCG0702ER is a burr grinder; it presses /grinds coffee beans in a different manner unlike bladed grinders which produce some sort of dust when grinding coffee beans which leads to loss of flavor and aroma. KCG0702ER burr grinder is designed to offer you one of finest coffee (no dust or loss of aroma). Its grindness is consistent and you have 15 different grind settings to choose from, so tell me what else you need. If your coffee always has a bitter taste, think of changing your coffee grinder.
- Controlled Rate Grinding With 15 Grind Settings
- Stainless Steel Cutting Burrs (efficient and powerful)
- 7 Oz. Glass Bean Hopper and Grind Jar
- Die-Cast Metal Design
- Low RPM Operation (450 rpm the same as Capresso 565 Conical Burr Grinder)
- You will also get the following; Burr grinder, handheld scoop and burr cleaning brush
- 1 Year Replacement Warranty
6. KRUPS Electric Spice and Coffee Grinder **** best coffee grinder for the money (Best Selling in Electronic Coffee Grinders)
This the most affordable coffee grinder on the market. Actually it has been voted as the best selling electronic coffee blade grinder on Amazon. However, you should not expect too much from this affordable grinder. It does its best but it might not produce the same results like the other three premium grinders featured above.
KRUPS F203 is an electric grinder with 200-watt motor which moves at a fast speed to grind those coffee beans. It has a large capacity which can yield up-to 12 cups of coffee just like Breville BCG820BSSXL. So if you’re a regular coffee drinker and you don’t have too much money to spend on the other 3 premium coffee grinders (1. Baratza Vario 886 ,Breville BCG820BSSXL and KitchenAid KCG0702ER ) then KRUMPS F203 should be your best choice.
DESIGN:- Not only does it have a small foot print, but also its oval design and stainless steel blades which are very strong and sharp; ensure uniform & fast grinding. You can use KRUMPS F203 too grind coffee beans, spices, nuts and grains. The possibility of grinding more than one spice makes it a versatile grinder hence ranking it as the best grinder money can buy.
WHAT ELSE DO YOU NEED?
Since you don’t have too much money to spend yet you also need to have a good cup of coffee / espresso. You can accompany this grinder with KONA French Press – Coffee, Tea & Espresso Maker with 34-Ounce Heat Resistant Glass. This item is a great option for espresso machines which cost an arm and a leg, yet it will also give you a nice cup of espresso.
CLEANING:- Since it can be used to grind herbs, coffee beans, nuts and so much more….it is better you clean it very well after use so that whoever uses the grinder next does not mix up grinds. You can easily clean it up via the sink and let it dry out well before storage. You can also use a paint brush to remove ground coffee.
I will probably get one for my office and see how fantastic it is because I has got lots of 5 – 4 stars on Amazon. Some customers have used KRUMPS F203 for more than 10 years but it still performs as new. What a great product for money?
RELATED:- How To Use A Coffee Grinder For Spices
HOW TO USE A COFFEE GRINDER?
The only tricky part on grinding coffee beans is that they have to be grounded to the finest size. The size of your coffee beans will definitely decide / determine the end product. We have different brewing methods and each of them requires a specific size of coffee beans. For example;
- Coarse – is best for brewing with French press
- Medium coarse – is best for brewing with coffee makers which feature cone-shaped filters.
- Medium – is best for brewing with coffee makers which feature flat-bottomed filters
- Medium fine – is best for brewing aero press , bonmac
- Fine Grind – is best for brewing with Stove Top Espresso Pots
- Super Fine grind – is best for brewing with espresso machines.
The type of grinder you have will determine how you will grind your coffee beans. For example, if you’re to use a Blade grinder, you have to pour coffee beans into the reservoir, and then apply some pressure on the top, this pressure will cause the blades to spin and grind your coffee. The process of grinding coffee beans with a Blade Grinder is almost manual and most Blade Grinders have no auto-settings…..continue reading.
7. Capresso 565 Infinity Stainless Steel Conical Burr Grinder
In position 7, we have Capresso 565 Infinity Stainless Steel Conical Burr Grinder. It is among the top 7 best coffee grinders on the market. With over 10 years in the coffee grinding business, Capresso gets some stiff competition from well known models like Baratza Virtuoso Preciso Conical Burr Coffee Grinder, but Capresson has priced their model well , yet Baratza’s Virtuoso Preciso comes at higher price. So even though Baratza Virtuoso might be at a good, its price scares away many coffee drinkers and this is one of the factors that people consider when buying a coffee grinder.
DESIGN:- Capresso 565 Infinity Conical Burr Grinder is designed with a heavy stainless steel burr grinders, so no coffee been will be left in its original size. This model is perfect and efficient, it grinds beans up-to their finest size. It’s multiple gear motor moves at a slow speed of around 450 RPM (rounds per minute); this reduces frictional heating of ground coffee beans hence preserve its aroma and test.
WHY BUY A CONICAL BURR GRINDER? –
Good question….right..!!!..conical burr grinders are less likely to clog and they make less / no noise when grinding coffee beans. Using a conical burr grinder is fan because you don’t have to bother with clogged feed, just concentrate on the grinding & coffee making process. This model has a range of settings from which you can choose from, but after grinding your beans, let them settle down before removing the canister because as it grinds them, it electrifies them so if you immediately remove the canister; coffee will fly all over the place because it’s electrified. I know majority of you would not like to wait for crashed beans to settle, but that is the only option you have. Good news is that Capresso gives you a free coffee grinder dusting brush which you can use to clean grinds on your grinder. Capresso advices you to always clean your grinder after use, this will keep it free from grounds.
Just like other conical burr coffee grinders, it produces uniformly-sized grind. Its minimum time to grind even the hardest beans is 13 seconds. You can use end results (grounded beans) for coffee press or drip coffee. But what you have to note is that this Infinity burr grinder will only grind those coffee beans when a black dot on the container is centered (points) to one of the settings. So that you have choose a specific grinding setting. If this not done, Infinity will not do anything. After choosing the right setting, turn on the timer and the machine will start its job. If you turn the bean container away from black dot markings, the grinder will stop.
CAUTION:- Always check to bean container to see if it’s completely empty before removing it from the base, otherwise, grinded coffee beans will scatter all over your kitchen.
CAPACITY:- By default, Capresso 565.05 Infinity handles 8 – 1/2 ounces of beans at a time, this is more than what KitchenAid KCG0702ER can hold.
- Vertical Grinder
- Grind Options
- Safe and Quiet
- Removable upper conical grinder (please remove it when cleaning the machine)
RELATED:- How To Grind Coffee – Easily
- Proctor Silex E160BY Fresh Grind Coffee Grinder
In position 8, we have Proctor Silex E160BY Fresh Grind Coffee Grinder. By far it is the most affordable coffee grinder on the market with a good customer rating (9.0/10). I know majority of consumers want high quality cheap products. It is a human thing to always search for the lowest price and Proctor Silex just knew what we all what and they gave it to us with two hands. Proctor Silex E160BY Fresh Grind Coffee Grinder comes in two colors; black & white, so you can choose from any of those two colors.
Proctor Silex E160B uses stainless steel blades to grind your coffee beans. You can use this model to grind just about anything. At least it does not limit you in what to grind. I guess that is to why it has got a very good customer rating. If you have ever invested in an expensive grinder and you didn’t like its performance, please give a try to Proctor Silex E160B, it’s not an angle but it can do just about anything.
However,don’t expect too much from it., it’s just an average grinder. Proctor Silex E160B has a very small foot print so it can fit very well on a small kitchen counter and it is very easy to clean. Since it costs less than $13, you can buy 2 / 3 for grinding different spices. But if you want to use one, it’s okay. All you have to do is to wash it well after use so that spices don’t mix up.
Please, if you own a premium grinder like KitchenAid KCG0702ER, don’t compare it with Proctor Silex E160B. Burr grinders are quite different and they tend to be slow & efficient. However, this small grinder can also do a great job if given the chance to do so. I’m sure it makes decent coffee with a nice aroma. You read customers reviews on this model via Amazon you will get a clear picture on how it performs.
- Hamilton Beach 80365 Custom Grind Hands-Free Coffee Grinder
Hamilton Beach 80365” hands-free coffee grinder is another affordable coffee grinder. It has a removable grinding chamber which makes it easy to clean. You can also use this model to grind coffee and other spices. You can use its fine settings to choose the right ground size. Remember that the finer the grind, the better the coffee.
DESIGN:- In my opinion, Hamilton Beach 80365 looks better than Proctor Silex E160B . It looks durable and strong. Its grinder chambers can make upto 12 cups of coffee beans in at a given period of time, so if you’re a heavy coffee drinker, this affordable grinder will serve you better.
NOTE:- This is not a burr grinder, it works as a blade grinder so the possibility of clattering your kitchen with coffee dust is high. Blade grinders are very fast but they make noise and they don’t grind coffee beans to the finest size as burr / conical burr grinders.
- Cuisinart DBM-8 Supreme Grind Automatic Burr Mill
Cuisinart DBM-8 Supreme Grind Automatic Burr Mill seems to be a very strong & heavy duty grinder. This elegantly styled automatic burr grinder uses strong burr blades to grind anything. It uses an 18-position grind selector which you can use to determine the right size of your grind. You can use the slide dial to choose from 4 to 18 cups of coffee. Basically it makes more grounded coffee cups than most coffee grinders on this list.
DESIGN:- The only way you can select the right grind size is to rotate the hopper until it points to the right settings (18 grind settings). This model is equipped with a very strong – heavy duty motor (meaning it grinds just about anything). It uses burr plates to grind those coffee beans; so you should expect fine results. It is an automatic grinder, once it reaches the desired level (basing on your settings), it will shut off. You can easily remove off the hopper, hopper lid, grinding burr and grind chamber for cleaning.
SAFETY:- To some extent this grinder is safe, because it can’t perform if the hopper and chamber are not in place.
- Burr grinder
- Automatic (it shuts off when the grind cycle is complete)
- Stainless steel design
- 8-ounce bean hopper (which is removable)
- It has a separate one-touch power bar
- Good cord storage
- Heavy-duty motor drive.
RELATED:- How To Use A Coffee Grinder For Weed
This marks the end of this detailed review on the Best Coffee Grinders – 2018 . I will update this post with time, keep on checking for new recommendations.