5 Best Food Processors 2018 – Detailed Reviews
(Updated – 2018) .….When it comes to cooking – things like slicing, dicing, shredding and mixing foods can turn out to be a waste of time. That is to you need to automatic that process by use of a food processor. These machines can do everything you want and they will save you lots of time. I know majority of you have premium knife sets tailored for slicing anything, but the amount of effort and time required to slice food manually is not worth it.
On this list I have featured 10 Best food processors on the market for the year 2018 ; but some of most dominant brands include;
Breville, Cuisinart, Hamilton Beach, KitchenAid and Braun. Check out the list below of our top 5 contenders
TOP 5 FOOD PROCESSORS – 2018
- Breville BFP800BSXL Sous Chef Food Processor – Check Price on Amazon********It comes with 2 Bowl, a 16 cup food processing bowl and a 2.5 cup mini bowl. You can choose desired processing time via the control panel.
- KitchenAid KFP1133ER 11-Cup Food Processor with Exact Slice System – Check Price on Amazon ******Features Reversible Shredding Disc, High, Low & Pulse speed options, Locking system with leak-resistant ring
- Hamilton Beach 70725A 12-Cup Stack and Snap Food Processor – Check Price on Amazon****Has a Big Mouth feed tube which save you from pre-cutting
- Cuisinart DLC-2009CHBM Prep 9 9-Cup Food Processor – Check Price on Amazon
- Hamilton Beach 70760 10 Cup Food Processor – Check Price on Amazon
- What Is The Best Hand Mixer
- What Is The Best Stand Mixer
- What Is The Best Juicer
- What Is The Best Blender
- What Is The Best Blender For Smoothies
- What Is The Best Ice Cream Maker
- What Is The Best Air Fryer
- What Is The Best Electric Kettle
WHAT TO LOOK FOR WHEN BUYING A FOOD PROCESSOR?
Before we go any further with this list/review, I want us to know what to exactly look for when shopping for your first food processor. The market is saturated with lots of brands so you can easily get confused but if you know what to look for, the all tusk will become easier.
1. DESIGN:- When shopping for your first food processors, there a few design components that you have to look for and these include:
- Weight: – Always look for a model with a heavy chassis because it will prevent the processor from moving / walking on the counter when in use. These appliances use too much force when spinning blades to crash food, so a light model will likely fall off the counter-top.
- Wide feed tube:- Since you have to feed the processor with foods/ fruits of different sizes, it has to be in position to take in large items like potatoes & whole tomatoes. You don’t need to slice them into small parts that will be a wastage of time.
- Safety features:- Truthfully, you don’t want to risk your hands with a processor with no safety features. These machines have sharp blades which spin at a robust speed. So it should have a secure lock on the top of the bowl and its blades should not turn on until the entire processor is well locked.
- Easy to control:- Premium models like Breville BFP800BSXL have easy to use controls. You can customize the performance of your processor by using button controls.
- Quiet operation:- I always see customers complaining about noise produced by low quality appliances. I’m sure you don’t like that noise too. So get a brand which does its job quietly. You don’t want to wake up everyone in the house when using that processor.
- Versatility:- This is an added advantage. A good processor should at least come with extra blades to perform different tusks. You will not be limited on what to use it for.
2. CAPACITY:- What you have to note is that food processors come on different sizes. They start from small size (3 cup units) which you can use to slice small volumes of food to large capacity of about 20-cups for slicing huge volumes of food. The bigger the capacity the more power the appliance uses and also the price will be different. But always choose a capacity which suits your needs. For example, if you’re single, you should go for a small capacity model but if you have a big family, a large capacity unit will be great for you.
3. SPEED:- Majority of food processors have 2 – 3 speed controls and a pulse speed function. Always look for a model with more speed controls, this will enable you process food according to its nature. For example, very hard foods like potatoes require a high processing speed – blades should spin very fast.
4. ATTACHMENTS & ACCESSORIES:- Any good food processor should come with various accessories and attachments to enable you make all sorts of recipes. In most cases, if the appliance does not have the blade you need to make a particular recipe, make sure that blades can be purchased. Do some little research on different blades via Amazon and see if they’re available for sale. On the other hand, a premium model will come with some of these blades: S-shaped blade, Shredding discs, Slicing discs, Dough Blade, Egg Whip, Julienne and French Fry discs and Citrus juicer (use this to squeeze juice from oranges).
LIST OF 10 BEST FOOD PROCESSORS – 2018
1. Breville BFP800BSXL Sous Chef Food Processor
In position 1, we have Breville BFP800BSXL Sous Chef Food Processor. At the moment it is the most rated food processor on the market with a verified score of 9.8/10 which is a pretty good rating. It comes with all necessary accessories but we shall look into that at a later stage. The main purpose of a food processor is to make food preparation easier and not more frustrating as it is with traditional methods. Breville BFP800BSXL has a 5.5 feed tube ”feed chute” which does not require you to cut / slice food into small pieces. If you remember very well, in our introduction of this review post; I said that you have to choose a food processor with a wide feed tube (one which can take in big volumes of foods like potatoes and tomatoes without cutting them into small pieces.) Using such a model will save you time and at the same time offer you with quick results.
8 DISCS: – When upgrading to a better food processor or buying a new one for the first time, you have to consider the number of discs that come with that model. Why? Because the more discs it has – the more options you have when it comes to slicing different types of food. Remember a food processor can be used to make all sorts of foods but you will find that a particular disc can’t be used to make a specific recipe, so if the model you have opted for has very few discs, you will be out of options (if not you will need to spend more cash for a particular disc). Our Breville BFP800BSXL comes with 8 discs and blades for numerous preparations. Each of these discs has a variable slicing disc which you set in 24 different settings thus customizing the thickness of each slice you make. Size of slices can range from 0.3mm to 8.0mm. Examples of discs included in the package include; a French fry cutting disc, julienne disc, , a whisking disc, and a reversible shredding disc. For the sake of blades you will get the following; , a dough blade for kneading and combining ingredients, micro-serrated universal S blade, and a mini blade for use with mini-bowl.
CAPACITY:- This is another crucial factor you have to consider when selecting / buying a food processor. Remember, I said that you should always opt for a size which suits your needs. For example, those with medium sized families, this 16 cup food processor will serve you well. It has 2 bowls, one is a large bowl – 16 cups and the other is a mini processing bowl – 2.5 cup. Use a small bowl when preparing food for one person and use the large bowl when preparing food for everyone at home including visitors. According to these specs, Breville BFP800BSXL combines various slicing options, two size BPA-free processing bowls and a wide mouth chute to offer you with the best results. No wounder it is rated as the best food processor on the market.
BPA-Free PROCESSING BOWLS:- We have already seen that this model has 2 bowls (large – 16 cup & small – 2.5 cup), but these two bowls are BPA (Bisphenol) free. For those who are seeing this term for the first time; it is an industrial chemical used to make plastics. However, this chemical can be seeped into food / beverages hence causing harm to individuals. So, the only way your food / drinks can be safe is when they are prepared in a BPA free container.
FEED CHUTE SAFETY SYSTEM: Safety is another thing you should consider when choosing a food processor. All premium models like Breville BFP800BSXL have safety features. For example, a feed chute safety system prevents the motor of this model from operating if the bowl, lid and large food pusher are not securely locked.
- Small food pusher (this makes it very easy to process smaller ingredients)
- Large food pusher (this helps in pushing food down the feed chute. However, it has a safety feature – ”if the large pusher is not fixed correctly, the processor will not start)
- Feed Chute Safety System
- Super Wide Feed Chute
- Silicone Seal (prevents leakage when processing large volumes of liquid)
- 2 Processing Bowls (16 cup bowl – dry ingredients & 12 cups for liquid (wet ingredients)
- LCD Display with Count-Up & Count-Down Timer
- Solid Die-Cast Metal Base
- Direct Drive Motor
- Non-Skid Rubber Feet
- Product Dimensions: 10.2 x 8 x 17.8 inches
- Weight – 23 pounds
- Not dishwasher safe
2. Braun K650 Multiquick 600-watt Kitchen Machine Food Processor
In position 2, we have Braun K650 Multiquick 600-watt Kitchen Machine Food Processor. This is my first kitchen appliance from Braun to review. I know they make some high quality electronics but I didn’t know that they also venture into appliances. The shape and design of Braun K650 is quite different from that of other models featured here but the first thing you will notice is a large feed tube which allows you to insert huge volumes of food without slicing them into small pieces. Braun K650 has a powerful 600 watt DC motor which enables it to slice / squeeze and smash any type of food. But much as it spins very fast, it makes very little noise thus making it user friendly.
14 SPEED CONTROLS:- When shopping for a good food processor., always look for number of speed controls it has.. Because the more controls on it, the more options you have. Some foods will require you to use a moderate grinding speed yet others might require very fast speed. So the ability to switch from one speed to another using a simple control system is very important. This Braun K650 features 14 speed & soft pulse controls – this will give you superior control over the appliance.
DUAL SAFETY LOCK:- Since mistakes are human, chances are high that you will forget specific safety precautions when using this model. So the only way that could be prevented is to block the bowl from opening when the unit is in use; if you forget and decide to open the bowl when the appliance is grinding food, it won’t open not until when you switch it off. Also the bowl is completely sealed to prevent any leakages or overflowing – this means your counter top will always be clean.
CAPACITY:- Braun K650 has an average capacity of 9 cups (2 liters), this makes it an ideal food processor for medium sized families. I’m not sure if it comes with a small bowl like Breville BFP800BSXL. But if you love this brand and your family is quite big, you can opt for Braun FP3020 Kitchen Machine Food Processor – 12 cup (to my surprise, the 12-cup model costs less than 9-cup model)
ATTACHMENTS:- Nothing makes a food processor better as extra attachments/accessories that come with it. These attachments will enable you make all sorts of recipes. Braun K650 comes with the following attachments. (1) Universal chopping blade – which chops, blends, mixes and purees. (2)Dough Hook – which kneads up to 3 lbs of dough (4) Cream attachment, (5) Versatile slicing system which includes; a fine slicer, cheese grater, fine shredder and a coarse grater. All these attachments ares dishwasher safe.
3. Hamilton Beach 70725A 12-Cup Stack and Snap Food Processor
In position 3, we have Hamilton Beach 70725 12-Cup Stack and Snap Food Processor. This model has a big mouth feed tube which reduces on pre-cutting of food. I have noticed that all premium models have large feed tubes; which is a pretty good thing because you actually get what you pay for. Judging from its size / capacity (12 cups) this model can be used to prepare food for two people or even a large family. With its 450 Watt Motor (less than that of Braun K650 -600 watts), you can be in position to slice, shred, puree and mix just about anything. If you want to process liquids with this food processor, go ahead and do it because it has no mix liquid fill line – the bowl is completely sealed – no leaks or pouring of liquids. At the top of the 12 cup bowl, you will see a pour spout which makes it easy to pour food out of the processor without messing up your counter-top.
EASY TO ASSEMBLE:- Some food processors are very difficult to assemble; actually you will need a user manual to learn how to put it together. However, when it comes to Hamilton Beach Stack & Snap Food Processor, everything seems to be black & white. This model is divided into 3 parts , fix the 12 cup bowl on the base and then cover the bowl with feed chute cup. Secure them well with clips and start using the machine. If one part is not fixed properly, the appliance will not start. This works as a safety precaution to save you from accidents.
4. Cuisinart DLC-2009CHBM Prep 9 9-Cup Food Processor
In position 5, we have Cuisinart DLC-2009CHBM Prep 9 9-Cup Food Processor. It comes at a reasonable price and its capacity (9 cups) is not that bad. Actually it has the same capacity like Braun K650 featured in position 2 and I like its simple design. The control panel has only 3 buttons ”On,Pulse & Off. I can’t compare this basic model with premium brands like Breville BFP800BSXL because those two models don’t fall in the same category. However, judging from its features and customer rating, I’m pretty convinced in Cuisinart DLC-2009CHBM’s performance.
One thing I have to note is that you should not expect too much from this basic model. It will do what you want but don’t push it to the extreme; because it is not that powerful as the other first 2 brands (Breville & Braun).
SPEED:- Since it does not have speed control features like the other premium models, the appliance automatically adjusts its speed to ensure dough consistency. The ability to increase speed during performance, enables Cuisinart DLC-2009CHBMb to crash even the hardest foods.
SUPREME WIDE MOUTH FEED TUBE:- Cuisinart DLC-2009CHBM has a wide feed tube. It can hold whole fruits and vegetables – so you don’t have to waste your precious time slicing food/fruits.
STAINLESS STEEL DISCS:- Cuisinart DLC-2009CHBM comes with 3 essential stainless steel discs/ blades and these include; 4mm slicing blade & medium shredding disc which can be used for chopping, shredding and slicing food/vegetables and a mixing blade.
- 9-cup Capacity
- Extra-large feed tube
- Stainless steel discs & Blade
- Chopping/ mixing blade
- Detachable disc stem
- Limited 3-year warranty
5. Hamilton Beach 70760 10 Cup Food Processor with Compact Storage *****Most affordable
In position 5, we have Hamilton Beach 10 Cup Food Processor. It is a medium sized appliance ideal for singles and medium sized families. One thing I know about Hamilton Beach appliance is low price. So if your budget is limited, you can start with this 10 cup food processor and upgrade to bigger one as time goes on. It can crash and mix any type of food, though it has very few settings ”On / Off & Pulse settings”. You might not be in position to change the speed of this appliance but it automatically adjusts its speed basing on the type of ingredients / foods its grinding / mixing.
POWER: – Much as it looks like a small food processor, it has a very strong motor which uses 500-watts to spin & mix any type of food. With this kind of power, your food will be processed in the shortest period of time. You can use its Easy-to-use speed switch to control its functionality.
EASY TO CLEAN:- Majority of people who have tested this model, have reported that it is extremely easy to clean and store. Since it has a small foot print, it can as well fit very well on a small kitchen counter top. However, I’m not sure if it is dishwasher friendly because it is not market anywhere, so you can clean it via the sink and let it dry before storage.
LARGE FEED TUBE:- You would expect a cheap food processor like this one to have issues with its feed tube, however, that is not the case, a lot was considered when designing this model, at least you don’t have to slice / chop food or vegetables for them to fit in the tube. Put tomatoes, green papers, carrots in the feed without slicing them into small parts. For those who want to make baby food with this processor, I suggest you inquire from the manufacturer if the container is BPA free because I have searched for it and it was not mentioned anywhere.
- Lid Flips over (makes it easy to store the appliance in the cabinet)
- Wide feed-tube (Process large batched)
- 500 watts
- Easy-to-use speed switch
- Cord storage area
- Reversible slice/shred disc (these blades are dishwasher safe)
- KitchenAid KFP1133ER 11-Cup Food Processor with Exact Slice System *** 3-in-1 Wide Mouth Feed Tube
In position 6, we have KitchenAid KFP1133ER 11-Cup Food Processor. It is a compact system with an exact slice system. You can get this model in various colors and these include; Empire Red, White, Contour Silver and Onyx Black. This 11- cup food processor is ideal for medium / large sized families just like Hamilton Beach featured in position 5. I personally love KitchenAid appliances especially those in Empire Red. It has a simple design which features a one touch button control panel at the front. You can customize its performance by choosing between different settings and these include; High, Low, and Pulse and Off operation. Always choose high speed when dealing with very hard foods and opt for low speed when mixing / slicing soft foods like tomatoes.
EXACT SLICE SYSTEM:- If you have been looking for a perfect and accurate food processor, KitchenAid-KFP1133ER should be your best choice because it has an Exact Slice system which slices from thick to thin foods using only one slide of the lever. This lever is easily accessible and well marked.
3-IN-1 WIDE MOUTH FEED TUBE:- This feature makes KitchenAid-KFP1133ER stand out from the competion. I have reviewed different types of food processors, but I have not seen any food processor with a 3-in-1 Wide Mouth Feed Tube except KitchenAid-KFP1133ER . The tube has a small section for small objects, a medium feed tube for average sized objects and a wide section for large objects like cucumbers, potatoes, tomatoes and so much more.
ULTRA TIGHT SEAL:- KitchenAid-KFP1133ER has an Ultra Tight Seal which features a locking system with a leak resistant ring – to prevent leaking of fluids. This feature gives you the freedom to fill the bowl without worrying about any leakage or leaving mess on your kitchen counter-top.
- 11-cup capacity
- External Slicing Adjustment Lever
- UltraTight Seal
- 3-in-1 Wide Mouth Feed Tube
- High, Low & Pulse Settings
- 3-Cup Work Bowl,
- Adjustable Slicing Disc,
- Reversible Shredding Disc
- Multipurpose Blade for 3-Cup Work Bowl & Dough Blade
- Storage Case
- 1 year warranty
RELATED:- How to Use a Food Processor
7. Cuisinart DLC-10S Pro Classic 7-Cup Food Processor
In position 7, we have Cuisinart DLC-10S Pro Classic 7-Cup Food Processor. The first thing I recognized about this model is build quality. It has stainless steel chopping blades, a medium slicing disc and a (4mm) shredding disc. The base is firm enough to hold the appliance firmly on a kitchen counter-top even when performing at a high speed. In terms of capacity, Cuisinart DLC-10S can hold only 7 cups – this makes it an ideal food processor for small families of about 2 – 4 people. When it comes to size, Cuisinart’s dimension is ”7 in. x 11.25 in. x 14.5 in” – reasonable size for small kitchens.
BPA FREE:- I’m sure you don’t want to invest money in a food processor which can’t make baby food. This model has a BPA free plastic container so you’re free to make baby food with it.
EXTRA LARGE FEED TUBE:- We have already seen that food processors with large feed tubes reduce on food preparation time simply because you won’t waste time chopping / slicing food / fruits so that they can feet very well in the feed tube. With this model, you can insert in a fully grown tomato or carrot without slicing it apart. It has a very powerful motor which enables it to crash hard food so you should not worry about that.
DISHWASHER FRIENDLY:- I know majority of you don’t want to clean utensils via the sink, so owning a dishwasher appliance is very important to you. Cuisinart-DLC-10S is dishwasher friendly – you can also clean its blades & discs via the dishwasher.
- 7-cup work bowl
- Extra-large feed tube
- Dishwasher safe
- BPA free
- Compact flat cover
- Detachable disc stem
- Stainless steel slicing disc & shredding disc
- Chopping / mixing blade (for mixing food)
- 3 year warranty (this covers the entire unit)
RELATED:- How to Select a Food Processor
8. Cuisinart DLC-2A Mini-Prep Plus Food Processor
In position 8, we have Cuisinart DLC-2A Mini-Prep Plus Food Processor. This small (mini) food processor comes in different colors so if you don’t like the red color you can opt for other colors like; White,Pink, Brushed chrome, Turquoise, Garnet, Chocolate Cherry, Iced Blue Mint and so much more. I like the fact the everyone can opt for their color choice.
But what really makes this mini food processor worth your investment? Many reasons makes it worth our cash, let me brake them down below:
- AFFORDABLE:- You don’t need a $100 budget to have a good food processor in your home especially when you’re single or living as a couple with no children. You can spend that $100 in the near future when you get a big family
- 3-Cup Capacity:- I’m sure majority of you are disappointed in the 3-cup capacity bowl. But don’t forget this is a ”MINI” food processor. It is made for specific people not everyone. So if this sounds like a very small food processor to you, then opt for other models featured on this list. However, I have noticed that it has a small feed tube, so in this case you will have to cut large foods into small pieces – about 1/2 -Inch. Make sure all your slices have the same size otherwise you will not get an even chop. The other thing you have to note is ”QUANTITY” – this model has a small 3-cup bowl. Avoid overloading it with food, this will affect its performance. At least food shouldn’t reach more than 2/3 of the bowl’s top.
- Dishwasher Safe Bowl:- After making / processing your food. Immediately clean the bowl to prevent build-up of germs and bacteria inside the bowl. You can clean the bowl via the sink or use a dishwasher. Good models can wash and dry this bowl very well using high temperatures to kill germs.
- Reversible Stainless-Steel Blades:- These will chop and grind food perfectly and on time.
- Easy-To-Use Control Panel:- Cuisinart DLC-2A Mini-Prep Plus has a very simple control panel featuring only 2 buttons ”CHOP & GRIND” button. You can command / customize its functionality using any of these two buttons.
RELATED:- How to Cook Without a Food Processor
9. Hamilton Beach 70740 8-Cup Food Processor
In position 9, we have Hamilton Beach 70740 8-Cup Food Processor. It has an average capacity of 8 cups and it costs a little bit cheaper than our Cuisinart DLC-2A featured in position 9. I have noticed that Hamilton Beach appliances come at a cheaper price, however, when it comes to build quality, Cuisinart seems to do a better job than Hamilton beach. This 8-cup capacity model has a standard feed-tube, it is not too small / too wide so some foods can pass through that feed tube without slicing them apart into small pieces.
POWERFUL 450 WATT MOTOR:- Hamilton Beach 70740 is small but powerful. Its 450 watt motor can spin those stainless steel blades so fast hence quickly chop salads, onions, cabbages, potatoes – etc
EASY TO CLEAN:- Not only is this model very easy to use but it is also very easy to clean. It has a flip lid design and dishwasher safe parts. So after using it, clean it via the sink or use a dishwasher to effectively clean it. Just like I said, most dishwashers heat-up water to a very high temperature above 180 degrees, this temperature can kill all germs and leave your dishes super clean and free from germs.
EASY TO STORE:- I’m sure you want to leave your kitchen counter-top clean and free from appliances. Clearing it will give you more space for using other appliances or prepare more dishes. Hamilton Beach 70740’s Lid flips over for compact storage. So after cleaning it well, keep it away from the counter-top. It can fit in a small shelf.
S-BLADE:- Hamilton Beach 70740 uses S-Blades to slice, chop and mix food. The shape of these blades ensures that nothing is left in its original size. All grounds will be fine and of the same size.
- Product Dimensions: 14 x 10.1 x 10.1 inches
- Weight 5 pounds
- S-Blade for chopping, mixing & pureeing
- Reversible slice / shred disc
- Large feed chute
- 8-cups capacity
- 450 watt
10.Cuisinart DFP-14BCN 14-Cup Food Processor
In position 10 we have Cuisinart DFP-14BCN 14-Cup Food Processor. I like its build quality and finish. If you have not used any Cuisinart appliance, I argue you to get one – you can start with this food processor and see how it performs. This premium model has brushed stainless steel blades which will chop, mix both hard and soft foods in a very short period of time. When it comes to usability, Cuisinart DFP-14BCN has intuitive “on” and “off/pulse” buttons which you can use to control its functionality.
Extra-large feed tube:- When using Cuisinart DFP-14BCN, you don’t have to cut food into small pieces because it has an extra-large feed tube which accommodates all sizes of food / fruits. This will save you time and it will at the same time give you an opportunity to try out new foods. Its stainless steel blades are very sharp and well shaped, so food will be sliced and mixed evenly. It also has small and large pushers.
SHREDDING DISC:- By default, all premium / high quality food processors have shredding discs. This disc is used for shredding food & vegetables to the finest size for easy mixing. This model also has a 4mm slicing disc which slices both hard and soft foods.
BPA FREE:- Not only will you use this appliance to process food for adults. It can as well be used to process your child’s food because its bowl is BPA free.
CAPACITY:- In the introduction of this post, I talked about considering the capacity of a food processor when upgrading / shopping for a new model. Always capacity is determined by the size of your family that is to why I have featured models / brands with different capacities in this post. Cuisinart DFP-14BCN has a 14-cup bowl capacity, this is enough for medium sized family of about 5 – 8 people.
- Extra Large Feed Tube
- 14-Cup Work Bowl with Handle
- Detachable Disc Stem
- Large Pusher and Sleeve Assembly
- Stainless Steel Chopping/Mixing Blade
- Shredding Disc
- 4mm Stainless Steel Standard Slicing Disc
- BPA Free
- Full 5-year Motor Warranty
- 3-year Warranty on Entire Unit
RELATED:- How to Make Bread With a Food Processor
This marks the end of this detailed review on the Best Food Processors – 2017 . I will update this post as time goes on so that you make the right purchase decision.